PDA

View Full Version : DS or PSP?

Nightfall
11-02-2004, 12:44 PM
So, with the DS being released on the 21st, I believe, I wanted to see what everybodies thoughts were on it, as well as it's competition. (aka PSP) Which one are you going to get? What are your thoughts on the two? Or maybe nobody cares ;)

pHaestus
11-02-2004, 01:04 PM
DS looks like better deal to me. Backwards compatible with GBA SP games and no optical drive to kill battery. We'll have to see how devs make use of second screen tho

cougem
11-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Medical student now. Don't trust myself with games, unless it's the holidays :/

killernoodle
11-02-2004, 01:32 PM
I dont play portables unless it is on my pda. I just dont have any reason to play an inferior game system.

Nightfall
11-02-2004, 02:47 PM
DS looks like better deal to me. Backwards compatible with GBA SP games and no optical drive to kill battery. We'll have to see how devs make use of second screen tho

Are you planning on buying one when they come out or are you going to wait a little while, and why? Just curious as to your opinion as I am contemplating buying one along with Mario 64 on the 21st.

I think that RPG's on the DS would be especially cool. While roaming around you could use the lower screen as a map (and use the stylus to drag and look around), you could also use the lower screen for inventory (i.e. use the stylus to grab your chain mail and drag it to your torso), and lastly you could use it during battle to choose your actions, which also opens up the idea of real time RPG'ing. Just my thoughts.

peepingdan
11-02-2004, 03:39 PM
You forgot both! Im getting one, my friend is getting the other and we will switch off.

9mmCensor
11-02-2004, 06:23 PM
PSP for the bus, as I think it will be more adult game oriented, and i dont play pokemon.

I was leaning towards the DS because of price (student budget sucks) but sony seems to be wanting to burst into the market and has pretty good price point

doesn't the PSP use memory sticK? (hoping for downloadable games)

Nightfall
11-02-2004, 08:37 PM
PSP for the bus, as I think it will be more adult game oriented, and i dont play pokemon.

I was leaning towards the DS because of price (student budget sucks) but sony seems to be wanting to burst into the market and has pretty good price point

doesn't the PSP use memory sticK? (hoping for downloadable games)

Ummm... I believe the PSP uses a proprietary optical drive that uses small DVD like disks ala Gamecube.

Nightfall
11-02-2004, 08:37 PM
You forgot both! Im getting one, my friend is getting the other and we will switch off.

Both is an option :D

9mmCensor
11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Ummm... I believe the PSP uses a proprietary optical drive that uses small DVD like disks ala Gamecube.
looks like it has Memory Stick Pro Duo
http://psp.ign.com/articles/552/552434p1.html

Nightfall
11-03-2004, 07:40 AM
looks like it has Memory Stick Pro Duo
http://psp.ign.com/articles/552/552434p1.html

The PSP will feature an array of connectivity options. It will support USB 2.0 for wired connections to the PlayStation 2 and PC and will employ 802.11b wireless LAN to connect to other PSPs and wireless devices. New software and data can be downloaded from the PSP to a Memory Stick Pro Duo. It will also allow for IR Remote (SIRCS) and IrDA infared connections.

Inside the PSP, the device will have a 333MHz PSP CPU proprietary to Sony. It will have 32MB of main memory and 4MB of embedded DRAM. Its built-in lithium-ion battery will have a life of 2.5 hours with video and 10 hours if used for audio playback only. For media, the PSP will use Sony's new Universal Media Disc (UMD), which can hold up to 1.8GB of data, three times that of a conventional CD-ROM.

Looks like you're right. What would it use the memory stick for then if it uses proprietary optical media for the games? Saved games and MP3's are the only thing I could think of.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html?tag=gs_lnav_whatispsp