PDA

View Full Version : TIM Testing

jlrii
03-20-2005, 01:53 PM
The current high end of TIM testing (http://www.electronics-cooling.com/html/2003_november_a2.html) .... Hadn't come across this B4 (from 2003) hopefully not a repost, Looks DAMN Expensive.

9mmCensor
03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
coolness...................

BillA
03-20-2005, 04:30 PM
JEDEC = max tech + $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
for us anyway

jlrii
03-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Would be nice for them to provide some numbers for common TIM materials to the common users.....To bad it ain' gonna happen.

BillA
03-20-2005, 05:08 PM
huh ?
Inchoerent just did so

jaydee
03-20-2005, 08:00 PM
The only result I want to see is how much loss the TIM causes in transferring the heat. I believe I read Incoherent's results but not sure a answer was there? Might have missed the last part of the discussion though.

bigben2k
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I glanced at it real quick, catching the highlights, and couldn't help but wonder if it would be possible to characterize a TIM based on the rate of temperature range. There are many allusions to this, including a reference to the heat capacity of the TIM material...

Must read some more.

I don't see how a dry joint can be used as any kind of reference point. I'd also like to see the cleaning method (that is, if they don't replace the blocks each time!).

jlrii
03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
huh ?
Inchoerent just did so

I just meant it would be nice to see numbers from a rig that accurate as a reference.

No dis' intended for Incoherent, his work and atention to detail are far beond what most of us could hope to acheive, but mounting pressure / block alignment in a spring type setup could lead to inacuracies... i.e. If samples are taken for a series of mounts, and the mount is never absolutely perfect, the results will be scewed and a lower c/w will result.

I couldn't venture a guess as to how much accuracy is gained from the $$,$$$ investment involved in building such a rig, but it would be nice to see.