PDA

View Full Version : Finished But Not Really Happy

JSimmons
04-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I started out with a YY-Cube, thinking it would have been big enough for 1/2 inch tubing, but it really needs a couple more inches in girth in all directions. I was thinking about transferring the whole thing into a mountain mods UFO-2 aluminum case.

The end result ain't flashy, but it works as intended and nothing is smoking that shouldn't be. I know, the T-line is too long, and the loop is a little loose...

http://www.paddedwall.org/watercool/finished_cube_01.jpg

On the drive bay side, my super radiator duct sits.

http://www.paddedwall.org/watercool/finished_cube_02.jpg

There's two Panaflo 120mm fans running at 7 volts on the duct (push/pull). The rear and front of the duct are almuinum, and the "plenum" in the middle is made of cardboard laminated with aluminum tape.

The drain line was a major mistake. The side of the case is just shy of closing all the way. Live and learn...

When/if I get a mountain mod case, I'll fix it.

You can't tell, but there's Purple Ice in the water. I didn't know how much I needed, but I have a lot left, so I'll probably add more when I change cases.

MadHacker
04-01-2005, 11:59 PM
so what are you cooling?
Overclock?
temps?(not that temps realy mean that much in comparison but still curious)

JSimmons
04-02-2005, 04:19 AM
It's an AMD64 3500 with 1gb PC3500 of OCZ memory and an ATI X800XT PE, and there's currently no overclocking happening. I get about 37C idle and 41C under load (but this is the bios temp, so it's not to be trusted).

The primary goal was to get rid of the fan noise. There is no "bling". :)

Water flow is pump-->gpu-->cpu-->rad-->pump. I think it would have been more efficient as far as tube routing to go pump-->cpu-->gpu-->rad-->pump, put the t-line fitting closer to the pump, and remove the drain line on the other side. I could also have solved the tub-induced torque on the video card by putting inline 90-degree elbows on the gpu block, but I was trying to avoid putting to many 90's in the line.

By changing all the tubing issues, I could avoid spending even more money on a case that wouldn't really buy me much.

How much Purple should I have added to the water? I only put in a few ounces.

Hoot
04-02-2005, 11:33 AM
At the Purple Ice web site, it says to use 1.5 oz per quart of water if not using antifreeze and 1.0 oz per quart of water if you are using antifreeze. Google is very handy...

Hoot