PDA

View Full Version : Any Motorcycle Riders Here? Post Your Ride(s)

CYberDruid
07-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Hello there--new to this Forum--wondered if we had any Motomaniacs in the herd?

Just to prove Geek/Gearhead Hybrids exist I thought I'd start this thread.

I like anything that makes noise and moves (kinda like my 2 year old son) so I've been tinkering with machines ever since I figures out how to start the lawn mower...

May parents were strict and pretty much said if I wanted a van or a motorcycle (let alone alcohol or tobacco) I could have them--after I moved out.

So of course the first thing I did was get an old VW Bus and a POS CB350!

The missus is much more understanding--she just wanted one too--so between the two of us we have 3 motorcycles, a '62 Buick Special deluxe Wagon and the ubiquitous Minivan, Pickup, and for something a little different a Scion Xb.

The bike I really cherish the most is my 1979 Triumph Bonneville--I built it up from a total basket case to a respectable classic and have about 21,000 miles in the saddle.

The bike I get in the most trouble with is my 2000 Millenium Edition Buell X-1 Lightning. I have over 40,000 miles of evasive manuevers on that one.

The bike that almost killed me is my Wife's 2003 Buell Blast--it's so nimble and small I was having a little too much fun and laid it down one time--gotta watch that big old sprocket in the back--I lost some skin that time.

Here's a quick shot of the bikes...

killernoodle
07-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah dude, I just bought a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 2 weeks ago. I'm taking pics of me on it tomorrow :D Nice buells!

Long Haired Git
07-05-2005, 01:11 AM
The bike went went the first kid arrived.
Reverse will happen!

RZ250k -> FZ750 -> CBR600F2 -> FZR400RR
plus a RD350LC I rebuilt, and many rides on lots of other stuff on loans, most memorably a FZR1000R which was mental.

JSimmons
07-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Bought it new in 1993 in California, and the pics posted show it in 2004 just before I sold it with 83,000 miles on it, and still mechanically perfect (original clutch, primary chain, and final drive belt). I sold it when I moved to Texas because a) it's too damn hot to ride comfortably, the cagers here scared me with their driving habits, and I lost about 25% usability in my left hand due to a miter saw accident...

http://www.paddedwall.org/hdpics/hd_leftside_full.png
http://www.paddedwall.org/hdpics/hd_rightside_full.png
http://www.paddedwall.org/hdpics/hd_running_03.png

Aronj66
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I have a lil yamaha 650 Vstar at the moment and planning a complete custom build for the winter. All these damn Discovery channel shows gave me too many ideas for what I want in a Bike that I just have to try and build one.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/aronj66/bike01.jpg

killernoodle
07-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Me on the fizzer..... eerm, Yamaha FZ6. Still smells like a new bike! :D

killernoodle
07-05-2005, 08:06 PM
More Fizzy.

bitbum
07-06-2005, 12:45 AM
From our last ride near Caliente CA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/bitbum/2005_0619Image0045.jpg

CYberDruid
07-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Too cool--great pics! Yeah it's too hot to ride comfortably here in FL and the pinkhaired glaucoma victims are everywhere like ghosts in a bad pacman flashback. So I am really happy about moving to the mountains of VA where if I screw up it could take weeks to find my body....

dacooltech
07-12-2005, 08:30 AM
The bike went went the first kid arrived.
Reverse will happen!
Same story here Long Haired :mad:

My first bike was a Suzuki ER-21, a 50cc crossbike, when I was 14 and rode the following in the last 20yrs:
Yamaha RD125 > Kawasaki KLR650 > Yamaha Super Tenere > Yamaha XT600 > Suzuki GSX-R 1100 > Ducati Superbike 748R > Ducati Monter 750

The Duc 748R was with 50 mm Termignonis and a new chip (~ 103 HP on the rear wheel). Eventhough I loved the Duc 748R, it was the bike that I owned for the shortest period of time (~3 months). 748R was definitely for the race-track, if you know what I mean. Monster 750 was one of the bikes that I enjoyed riding most. I am a big Ducati fan, and planning to buy a new Duc next year :)

Bevel
07-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Wow you guys into bikes as well, I am in the right place!
Here's a shot of my 1978 Ducati 900ss.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4694&stc=1

I bought it when I was 21 and working in a motorcycle shop. It got traded for a 851 Duke and I was in the right place. It had a hard life and I have spent alot on it to get it in the condition you see it now. It has been repainted in original colours, The wheels have been rebuilt with stainless spokes and the rims and hubs polished. Almost every bolt has been replaced with stainless items and if it had to be steel for strenght it was chromed. All engine covers are polished alloy, looks great but its alot of work!
It has to be run on race gas (Leaded) as it hates unleaded, fouls plugs.
The thing I like about this bike is that it was built with just one purpose in mind, to win races - something it did quite well. It is not comfortable to ride for a long time but then it is not a touring bike, comfort was not a consideration.
I love this bike to bits and it will never be sold - its everything I want in a bike and you should hear it when you open the throttle hard barreling out of a corner - pure heaven. Amen.

dacooltech
07-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow Bevel she's a beauty :)
excellent job

well, guess Ducati and comfort can't be used in the same sentence ;)
My wife just hated the Monster's back seat :p

CYberDruid
07-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Yes indeed! A rare and highly desirable superbike if ever there was one....and shockingly unmolested--a real treat--I love that machine Bevel! Too bad no way to post a .wav

Bevel
07-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Im glad you guys like my baby.
It was a bit "molested" when I bought it but it is now back to original spec - including the green fuel lines.

Marci
08-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, my kid arrived, and my first bike arrived shortly afterwards... guess I've got it lucky...

Tis an `89 NS125R-K...

http://www.over-clock.com/marci/ns125r/45_12_sb.JPG

That was her in her stock form - no pix of her currently. Not a lot's changed visually.
Restrictor plates removed... Exhaust has been swapped out for an MBX125 Micron Performance Pipe... main jet up'd from 110 to 128, airbox removed and K&N Filter fitted... will overbore and skim when I get chance / finances... originally did 70mph tops when I got her, now does 95mph. Lotsa midrange and topend. Lost a lot of bottom end when I swapped off the exhaust, but the original was 95% weld, 4% rust, 1% air so it had to go. MBX pipe was just handy at the time, so since then been tweaking her to run happily with it. Wants main jet upping a bit more and pilot jet looking at, but when it's my only form of transportation, getting chance to get on with it is rare...

I also race MiniMoto Sidecars... me on the right hangin' out the side...

http://www.minimotosidecars.org/site/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/marcidone/normal_IMG_1039.jpg

`05 CBR125 engine fitted into custom made chassis with 6" Kart Rims and tyres. Independant front and back brakes. Overbored and skimmed, race tuned, hand-made ram-air fitted, got a Rotrex C15 supercharger on the way for it... at the mo it'll manage just short of 90mph with topend gearing and two onboard, but circuits we race on and fuel tank capacity restricts us, so tend to be set up for 70mph tops with lotsa bottom end. We're currently leading the British Championship 4T class... and going off points from last round are now unbeatable, so unofficially, we've got the championship nailed. Only outfits on the track faster than us are the highly tuned 2stroke F1 and F2 outfits... we're 0.53 secs off the pace from those... but 4stroke 125cc is rarely a match for expertly tuned 2stroke 80cc. No need to worry about those tho, as they ain't in our class. S'just fun chasing em...!

Looking to move on the NS125R soon and pick up a Cag Mito Evo... get test passed (finances are only thing preventing) then have me eyes on a ZZR400.

Long Haired Git
08-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Well, my kid arrived, and my first bike arrived shortly afterwards... guess I've got it lucky...
Depends. Met a single mum in the park with the missus whose story led me to sell my bike. I'm a bit of a nutter on the bike - can't help myself.

.... and pick up a Cag Mito Evo
That's my plan as well - assuming they still make them when I get a bike again. However, I want to swap out the 125cc engine and put in the largest 2 stroke chook-chaser engine I can fit. CR500? WR360?

dacooltech
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM

You're a really lucky man Marci :)

BTW my wife is pregnant with our 2nd child (he is due in about 2 weeks :) )
about a month ago my wife was craving ice cream, and asked me to get her one. I said well I'm craving for a Duc but you don't let me have one, so forget about the ice cream... long story short, over an ice cream, she promised me that I can have my Duc after the baby is born lol :)
So hopefully I will be riding on a Ducati again soon :D

MiniMoto sidecar racing looks like fun... guess i should try that one day...

Marci
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
W00h00! Am officially British Champion as of 25th September :cool: Can't beat a 200 point lead with one round to go... max points per round is 100 :D

Think I'll stay in the truck n get drunk at the final round of the season, cos certainly don't need to risk me neck on the track!

Long Haired Git
09-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Do the race wearing chicken suits or gorilla suits over the leathers.

mwolfman
09-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I’ve have a Honda CB 750-F2, 1982 year model, the thing here in Sweden is that the bike got to be 20 years plus or an BMW due to insurance. The engine is rebuilt for $ 2000 (the same as the bike cost). Have a problem starting it due to the Laser system and the sprocket for the start engine is wear down. (attached tumb., the box is removed, cost 15km/h top speed, 2l/100km and the look is a lot better without it).

I’ve had one Honda 125 something (didn’t work).
And Kawasaki cross 125-91
A Yamaha RDLC 125-87 (this one is actually quite quick on small roads, you don’t have to use the brakes)

My next bike will be an BMW GS 1150/1200... Helped a friend to drive it from Germany (cheaper), I drove it @160-190km/h in 12h-straight, not that may bikes that can take that... (or drivers)

dacooltech
09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
W00h00! Am officially British Champion as of 25th September :cool: Can't beat a 200 point lead with one round to go... max points per round is 100 :D

Think I'll stay in the truck n get drunk at the final round of the season, cos certainly don't need to risk me neck on the track!

Congrats mate :)

Cathar
10-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Me on ye olde Firestorm (Honda VTR1000) 'bout 5 years back.

http://www.employees.org/~slf/images/Cathbike.jpg

Time for another bike.

Marci
10-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Time for another bike.

Allow me to recommend a Kwaki ZX-12R... 2002 or later... you'll love it ;)

Cathar
10-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Allow me to recommend a Kwaki ZX-12R... 2002 or later... you'll love it ;)

Kinda had my eye set on the Aprilia RSV1000R

http://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/dati//foto_mod_pg_347_1095693907.jpg

Marci
10-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Reports from folks here that have test ridden say they're rather `orrid in the engine dept. Can't remember why, will quiz Mike n' Daz tonight...

Cathar
10-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Hmmm, have always loved the sporty V2's though - loved the way they lay down wads of power at any point in the rev range, and love the lilting thump-thump exhaust note. Enjoyed just as much the reactions of people when they come wailing into corners on their 4's, and there's me on the old thumper which by every right should be slower if we measure by horsepower alone, yet while they're still trying to find the right gear on the corner exit, the V2's are ripping the arms from the shoulder sockets on the way out with the 4-cyl guys practically able to count every thump-thump thundering from the exhaust as it disappears ahead.

Riding the big V2's are as much of an aural experience as the riding itself. Had a full free-breathing exhaust system fitted to the VTR, that gave a 2" diameter exhaust path the whole way, instead of the stock & somewhat restrictive 40mm exhaust pipes & headers, as opposed to simply fitting cans on the end like many do, and fitting cans only simply doesn't do the VTR's engine exhaust note justice. Lost count of the number of Ducati riders coming up to me wishing that their bike sounded as good.

/me wipes drool from mouth over the memory...

Marci
10-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Heh... 2" full system would certainly make anyone in the vicinity feel the thump right in their guts as it went past...

We use a full 2" system on the sidecar... which exits just in front of my left foot behind the main fairing and spits fireballs at me with monotonous regularity... compared to the other 4 strokes on the grid ours sounds monstrous. On a V2 it must be akin to firing a thunderstorm out of a shotgun :D

Cathar
10-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Oh sure, perhaps I understated it when I said it was merely an aural experience. Can definitely add tactile to that too. :D Put the bike onto the Dyno once for a lark, and can honestly say that the sound pressure coming from the exhaust when it was on song almost sends the heart into palpitations, and made you somewhat woozy.

Yeah, it was loud. Realised how loud it was when on a track day around Phillip Island. Heading out of Turn 1 @ 240kph or so, and there's some guy about 100m ahead of me heading into Southern Loop wildly looking around like the end of the world had come to town. He came up to me later and said he could've sworn I was like 2 bike lengths behind him bearing down on him like a semi-trailer, rather than 100m away.

Still as loud as it was, not one person ever complained that it was annoying, ever. Quite the opposite, everyone would comment how much they loved listening to it. Sounded like mellow thunder. Must've evoked some sort of primal reaction I guess.

/me sighs

Marci
10-20-2005, 08:29 AM
The ultimate question - how far could the exhaust fire a tennis ball in neutral against the limiter...?

Cathar
10-20-2005, 08:33 AM
The ultimate question - how far could the exhaust fire a tennis ball in neutral against the limiter...?

LOL. Never tried that. Guess we'll never know.

JSimmons
10-20-2005, 12:34 PM
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTC - pic taken last June with 83,000 miles on it. It's still on original clutch, primary chain, final drive belt, and has never been down for anything other than regular maintenance (oil changes, cable adjustment/replacement, antires and brakes).

Modifications include five-gallon tank, beaded windshield, headlight nacelle, police solo saddle, hard bags are 1972 FLH NOS (New, Old Stock) adapted for use on this bike by yours truly, dual exhaust with turn-down tips and numerous nostalgic appearance items. On the motor end, there's adjustable pushrods, a competetition ignition module and high-output coil, the carb was re-jetted, and a Crane cam was added.

Custom paint - deep candy red over white/titanium pearl with dark red and dove grey pin stripes.

http://www.paddedwall.org/home/images/bikes/hd_frontright.png

http://www.paddedwall.org/home/images/bikes/hd_leftrear.png

Here's a shot on a clear day so you can appreciate the real color of the paint.

http://www.paddedwall.org/home/images/bikes/93hd_paint2a.jpg

dacooltech
10-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Kinda had my eye set on the Aprilia RSV1000R

well check out the new Duc 999R:

http://www.ducati.com/docs_eng/model05/superbike/999R-05/images/strip.jpg

999R Features (http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2005/playbike.jhtml?lang=docs_eng&family=superbike&modelName=999R-05#)

a buddy of mine got the 999 (straight 999, not the R version etc.) and it's definitely more comfy than the 748R that I had for a short period of time.

I'm sure you'll love the sound of it as well :)

Bigredhog
10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Ive got a Big Red Hog, 2000 Heritage Classic and its a far cry from the old 45 Harley with suicide shift I learned on 30 years ago. hence my screen name Bigredhog . The plate on it reads BGRDHOG. LMAO @ Cathar your pic schocked me for some reason I pictured you as an older grey haired professor type dude, funny the how you arrive at what a person might look like based on what they post. Heck your just a youngster and a smart one at that!

Cathar
10-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Well after eyeing off the Aprilia's I went and took this absolutely immaculate 2000 Yammie R1 which is being sold on consignment at a local bike shop for a test ride today and put down a deposit on it. Bike has 8000kms (~5000miles) on it, and has fully mirror polished nickel plated rims, swingarm, and sub-frame. Man, this bike is spotless - they don't even come out of the showroom's as clean or as good.

Get home, wife rings up her best friend to tell her that I've gone and bought a bike. Her friend's husband rides bikes too, and while discussing it with him we find out that it's actually his best friend's bike that I'm buying. Man, what a small world sometimes eh?

Get on the blower to his friend who tells me he'll agree to a lower price, and throw in a full Yoshimuri exhaust system, replacement front fairings, and a few other goodies. In return I have to go riding with him at a few Phillip Island track days 'cos his friend can't get under 2:00 lap times like he can, and I know I've done sub-2:00 on the ol' VTR before, so the gauntlet has been thrown down. Final agreed price was the paltry sum of $10K AUD (~$7500K US, or ~£4300). Yeah - really twisting my arm on that one. :D

Come Monday, I'll have a few more reasons to smile. ;)

Marci
10-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Might wanna swap the frontbrake out for summat that gives a bit more feedback... tends to get a bit squishy feeling after time... other than that, peachy choice! 2000 onwards they'd managed to iron out everyone's little niggles n' complaints... tend to go for about £3500 over here tax'd n' MOT'd.

Once u get to that trackday, be sure to have someone to hand with a miniDV.... I wanna watch!

Cathar
10-21-2005, 06:29 AM
tend to go for about £3500 over here tax'd n' MOT'd.

Hmmm, the joys of Australia eh? Won't find 'em (2000 R1's) here for less than ~£4000, in stock form, and with at least 10K miles on the clock, unless they've suffered some crash damage. 2002 R1's will go for around £4800, again stock and with at least 10K miles on 'em.

Probably could've pushed him a bit harder, but given the condition of the bike it seemed a fair price to me.

Brand new 2005 R1's here go for around £7900 on-the-road.

Marci
10-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Yeah price is rather reasonable for your neck o' the woods... and the added extras make up for it anyways...

I'm still eyeing over various VFR400's at the mo... waiting for NC30's to drop below £1000... shame this one won't got for it's starting price - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VFR400-NC30-Track-bike_W0QQitemZ4581955362QQcategoryZ9806QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Long Haired Git
10-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Ahh yes, I used to read Performance Bikes mag and always drooled over the NC30's. When grey imports finally made it this way I test rode one, and can still recall most of the ride some 10 years later.
RVF400 would be nice too....
Have fun with the new ride, Cathar, and keep it sensible on the road. I was never good with the big bikes: I turned nutter even on the way to and from work. Power wheelies just too tempting....

My next bike? http://www.gizmag.com.au/go/2350/

Cathar
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Not to worry. I'm a sensible lad on the bikes. Even with a wheelie king bike like the VTR I never really got into the whole wheelie thing, apart from perhaps getting the front wheel an inch or two off the ground for a moment. Doing wheelies always concerns me. Knew someone who flipped a bike and is in a wheelchair as a result, so that's always been a sobering thought for me anytime the front wheel leaves the ground. Even if not for that, I never really enjoyed doing wheelies. Can barrel into corners at racetracks with the footpegs folding up and the rear wheel leaving blackies, but never ever got used to hanging the front wheel in the air. Go figure - I must be a wuss - not that this bothers me. I've always been happy to go at my own pace and not try to keep up with the true nutters. My motto has always been "Keep it at ~80% on the road, and save the 100% antics for the race-track", and I'd like to think that 99% of the time I've kept to that policy faithfully.

The R1 had insane acceleration. Overtook a car that was annoying me today and went from 30-120kph before I even realised I was going that fast. Gotta watch that if I aim to keep my license.

Am well aware that the newer GSXR1000's are meant to be better in almost every respect, but for me the R1 is a bit of a sensible step up from the VTR. A bit more of a gentle jump to go from a 110hp bike to a 155hp bike, rather than a 180hp one. Heck, I was always one to believe that 100hp was as much as I could ever need or use, but just for once in my life I'd like to see how the hardcore open-class sport-bike crowd live. ;)

I keep reading about how the R1's are meant to be twitchy, but then I read how the GSXR1000's are meant to have vague feeling front-ends, and how the Kawasaki's are let down by their suspension, and the Honda's are the boring all-rounders, firm stable and planted, but missing a raw element. Crap, seems like no matter which bike you buy, someone's got something to bitch about with it. Then I think back to '2000 when everyone was singing the praises of the R1 as the ultimate sports-bike, so are we just splitting hairs here or what?

Bikes are meant to be fun items that allow one to explore one's abilities introspectively, regardless of any "niggles" with the bike. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not dangerous, it adds to the experience anyway and I firmly believe that the ability for any bike to go fast and/or be enjoyed rests about 95% with the rider, and only about 5% with the bike. Crap, I still remember crafty old Tom Saville overtaking the hardcore sport-bike nutters on his old Honda Dominator (NX650), round the outside of them, with no hands on the handlebars. If that's not a better example of the rider's skill being the dominant factor in the enjoyment of a motorbike, regardless of how good or bad the motorbike is supposed to be, then I don't know what is.

This R1 has a steering dampener, so any excessive twitchiness shouldn't be an issue. I aim to enjoy it sensibly, but not sedately. ;) It's more of a bike than I'll ever have the skill to master, so in that respect I just see this more as a learning process of the self, and hey, isn't that what motorbike riding is all about at its very core? That Robert Pirsig guy makes a lot of sense.

Cathar
10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Bike piccies here:

http://www.employees.org/~slf/R1/

Managed to get the price down another $500.

Took it out for a little blast yesterday, man what a dichotomy. Such a well behaved bike in town, but twist that throttle even half-way and the brain struggles to catch up.

Long Haired Git
10-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Carbon fibre front hugger, annodised front brake caliper?, clear-lense indicators standard?
Annodised valve caps (much faster than standard).
Hello jealousy.

Power is corrupting. Remember going from my RZ250K to a FZ750. At first it was "never use full throttle, wholly crap" and yet within weeks I remember chasing someone over the gateway bridge at full throttle thinking "come on you fat slug"....

Marci
10-26-2005, 05:20 AM
And a gorgeous beasty she be....! Congrats d00d!

Cathar
10-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Cheers all. I'm a happy boy.

Carbon fibre front hugger, annodised front brake caliper?, clear-lense indicators standard?
Annodised valve caps (much faster than standard).

Yep, all those are after-market extras. Am very fond of the bright nickel plated polished rims and swingarm (also non-standard). Positively gleams in the sunlight.

Got to find some time to fit the Yoshi exhaust in the next coupl'o'days.

Cathar
10-26-2005, 05:44 AM
Power is corrupting. Remember going from my RZ250K to a FZ750. At first it was "never use full throttle, wholly crap" and yet within weeks I remember chasing someone over the gateway bridge at full throttle thinking "come on you fat slug"....

lol, so true. Still though, I'm used to the VTR and it never left me wanting for me. The VTR accelerated extremely hard (helped somewhat by a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket I had installed), and with the full exhuast system had enough top-end to keep a stock CBR929 honest. In fact the VTR was (very slowly) pulling away from the 929 but in the end I felt a little sorry for him, 'cos it was his new bike and all, so I decided to let him have some glory and backed off a touch.

Low down the R1 pulls like the VTR did which really surprises me 'cos every in-line 4 I've ridden before has been peaky. The R1 has strong tractable power from as low down as 2000RPM, but at 7000RPM it's a totally different picture. Where the VTR just continues to pull (very) hard, predictable and steady up to around 9700rpm, the R1 turns into total beast and to be honest it's a real effort to squeeze the tank hard enough to hold on without it slamming you back into the stopper pad. For sure, the more modern bikes have a few more ponies at the top-end but there's no way any sane person could ever describe the R1's power delivery and acceleration as "slug-like".

Long Haired Git
10-26-2005, 06:18 AM
I had a poorly carbouretted ex-race RD350LC that was mental. It pulled fine (not like a 1000 four, but not bad for a tiny stroker) from near idle to about 4,500 RPM. Then it went to shit, made zero power and gurgled like you'd run out of petrol. It did this for 1,000 RPM.
Then it came good.
Big time.
It lit up like a mental two stroke, which it was.
As a race bike, it was either idling or between 6,000 and its redline (10k by memory?) and hence fine.
As a commuter, it was real "fun" to ride. I loaned it to a sensible rider mate who didn't get the throttle vs rpm right and it lit up and wheelied across an intersection with a none-too-happy wife on the back. One of my few smoking-the-rear-wheel-steering moments was me getting it wrong mid corner in Lutwyche (busy inner city of Brisi).
Great fun until the oil line dropped off the oil tank and it seized on the SW freeway.

Ever ridden a 500cc stroker: RZ500 or RG500?
They're the same: you ride around thinking "this is nice and sensible" but then they just light up and f*** off.

Its the reason why I like to doodle and draw electric bikes (so much more design freedom) but I don't they'll be popular until fuel is $100 a litre. Flat power curves and predictability are just sooo boring.

My ideal bike, as per above, is a cagive 125 mito evo (916 looking model) with as big a single-cylinder 2 stroke traily engine (CR500cc would be nice, WR360 more likely). Who needs broad power when you can have mental peakiness? Yummy.

Cathar
10-26-2005, 11:14 PM
http://www.employees.org/~slf/R1/r1-small.jpg

Cathar
10-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Ever ridden a 500cc stroker: RZ500 or RG500?
They're the same: you ride around thinking "this is nice and sensible" but then they just light up and f*** off.

Its the reason why I like to doodle and draw electric bikes (so much more design freedom) but I don't they'll be popular until fuel is $100 a litre. Flat power curves and predictability are just sooo boring.

My ideal bike, as per above, is a cagive 125 mito evo (916 looking model) with as big a single-cylinder 2 stroke traily engine (CR500cc would be nice, WR360 more likely). Who needs broad power when you can have mental peakiness? Yummy.

Cagiva Mito 125's look hot. Just like a 916 junior. Very nice.

Probably taking the analogy a little far to compare the R1's power delivery to a 2-stroke. The extra power on tap in the high-end is not "light switch" peaky - it's always under the rider's control to dial in the power they want from the engine from the throttle, it's just that the acceleration gets progressively more "urgent" as the revs rise, unlike the VTR for example where it accelerated steadily and strongly. By "urgent" I mean just when you're thinking it's not going to pull any harder than what it's doing right now, it surprises you and does so. I mean, the thing gives graceful, controllable, and progressive power wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and heck with a few engine mods I wouldn't be surprised if it could do so in 4th as well.

I do understand the desire for an RVF400 too. Nice, light, small, and flickable. Thing is that I "graduated" from a ZZR-250 to a ZX-6R, and the R1 is smaller and lighter than the ZX-6R, so it's almost like a 400cc bike of the mid-90's anyway. The seat height is about the same as a 400cc bike. While it wouldn't suit a 5'0" person, anyone 5'4" or taller would have no troubles putting their feet down when waddling around while seated.

Yeah, maybe when I've had my fill of the litre-bike cup'o'seduction I'll return to own a nice little 250-400cc bike, but when the litre-bikes of today are so close to the same size, weight and handling of the mid-90's 250-400cc bikes it's hard to give up the pull of ponies when there's not a lot of gains in doing so.

If Honda released something like an updated RVF400 with 80hp and quality suspension, a comfortable seat, and stock suspension better than "preload adjust only", then yeah, I'd be sorely tempted to take another look.

Long Haired Git
10-27-2005, 02:39 AM
FZR400 + FZR1000 engine = YZF R1
I went from 750's/600 to 400 to extend my life expectency and save the license.

Marci
10-27-2005, 09:32 AM
6,000 and its redline (10k by memory?)

11.5k redline, 13k hits the rpm stop iirc...

My 2T 125 performs practically the same in terms of powerband... altho ignore the rpm stop... pulls off the guage and gets a superb little kick up the ass from 12.5k thru to 14.5k before the CDI loses the plot and it all goes to shit, only solution start to advance the timing afaik... or replace the CDI but finding suitable is proving difficult...

Agree on the Cag's.... love em. Definitely the best roadrace 2T 125 out there... 110mph stock, 130mph race tuned I think...

If Honda released something like an updated RVF400 with 80hp and quality suspension, a comfortable seat, and stock suspension better than "preload adjust only"

roflmao.... preload? if only! NS = no adjustment whatsoever - fixed shock.

Cathar
10-27-2005, 04:50 PM
roflmao.... preload? if only! NS = no adjustment whatsoever - fixed shock.

Hmmm, this page (http://www.horrible.demon.co.uk/bikes/rvf.htm) seems to suggest that the RVF400's came at least preload and rebound adjustments... That's the RR spec bike though. I was perhaps labouring under the delusion that the standard spec RVF400's included at least preload/ride-height adjustments.

Long Haired Git
10-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Can always replace the shock. By memory RVF's are popular at Ilse of Man and I doubt racers will accept non-adjustability given the islands deserved reputation.

In my head was wondering about a VFR400 swingarm transplant to my Cagivo Mito CR500 hybrid in order to have single-sided swingarm like 916 big brother, and also to get a larger rear tyre for the power. No engineering analysis done beyond knowing its a single sided and the Cagiva has a "swept" (gull?) but otherwise normal swinger.

Cathar
10-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Today I did a 300km round-trip of the local twisties to properly familiarise myself with the R1. Man, am I sore!

The R1 handles and provides feedback like a dream. Man, the VTR was "numb" in comparison. Talk about confidence inspiring. Every little interaction with a bump, stone, twig, whatever, is broadcast back through the chassis to let the rider know exactly what's going on. Wow, I never knew that bikes could feel this good. Absolutely visceral road-rider interaction.

Any line through a corner I wanted to take, the bike did it. It did exactly what I told it to. A patch of stringy bark mid-corner, with a few bits of gravel, those damn white reflectors in the middle, and a nasty ripple? Yep, happy to make 4 mid-corner line adjustments to thread through it all and keep tyre happily in contact with bitumen, all while cranked over hard. Enter a corner a little too hot? (Something that's somewhat easy to do with the R1's monster engine). No problem, just feather the front brake and the front wheel suspension feedback is there telling you exactly what's going on, and all of a sudden I'm feeling like I'm a pro-racer (yeah, in my dreams!), braking deep into corners with nary a concern about the front wheel's traction because it's telling me exactly how hard I'm pushing it, which to be honest, wasn't really that hard but the difference is now I can tell that I'm not pushing it hard, unlike the VTR where in comparison the VTR's feedback is something akin to attempting to assemble a technical lego kit with boxing gloves on. Heck, I literally used to sleep at night and a recurring nightmare about riding the VTR, and losing the front-end for no adequately explained reason.

What a monster engine! Almost a total waste really, but then somehow, it's not a waste. Despite the 11750rpm redline, I kept the engine toodling along in the 3000-6000rpm range throughout most of the ride, especially in the tighter stuff (e.g. the famous Reefton Spur which is 24km of 50-80kph non-stop gruelling swervery) purely because the engine makes stupid power otherwise and the last thing you want is to exit one 60kph semi-hairpin, and accelerate hard over the next 80m to hit 140kph as you enter the next 75kph semi-hairpin, braking like an idiot. The bike purely has too much top-end power to be used sensibly on the road, but despite that, the engine is absolutely fantastic for lazy 2nd/3rd gear up-down transitions through the swervery just using the ample luscious low-end grunt to smoothly drive through the corners and on to the next, rather than dancing on the gear-lever trying to keep a small engine on song. Sure, the engine has all this top-end power that's next to useless on the road, but that doesn't matter, because it has all this ample low-end drive which perfectly suits the tight stuff just as well.

Yep, the R1 is almost as light and flickable as a 250, as visceral as a surgeon with a scalpel, and an engine which is every bit as "lazy" and grunty as a big V-twin, but with the monster top-end should you ever feel the need to show off. I tell ya, I'm in love with motorcycling all over again, but even moreso than before. I never in my dreams thought that bikes could be this good.

I am sore. I can barely walk from hanging off the bike for 2.5hrs straight flicking from side-to-side transitioning my bulk with muscles that have long since forgotten that they had a purpose in life.

But I am happy! :D :D

FuRi0
02-03-2006, 02:28 PM
i currently ride a 2002 NSR 125-RR with an Arrow full race exhaust, nsr250 powervalve, carbon reeds, larger jets,1 tooth smaller back sprocket, twin plate clutch, lighter flywheel, dyno ket, and a port polish
she puts out roughfly 48 at the flywheel and 39 at the back wheel,
she weighs 135 kgs and has recently recived new tires 130 back 110 front

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/FuRi0/bikes.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/FuRi0/ewan003.jpg
yup that is my ugly mug
i used to ride a TZR 50 which i absolty thrashed the life out offor 9 months till i near exploded (no thanks to the guys at RAF thievale you can guse what they did)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/FuRi0/DSCI0010.jpg

my guardien if you are wondering rides a stock (and i mean compleatly stock)
CBR125R which is not a bad bike i even manged to squeese 80 out of the glorafied CG

im still on a provisional license (soon to change)

FuRi0
02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
will post more picks if you want (weather permiting)

Cathar
02-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Sweet bikes FuRi0. Nice to see there are some sweet small capacity bikes out there. They'd be great fun at the track too I reckon. Betcha can't wait until the weather gets a little better there.

I've been making my way down to Phillip Island GP circuit a bit of late. Visited 3 times in the last month, but one of those times was a Superbike School training session. Managed to get my lap times down to high 1m53s. For comparison someone of the skill level of one of the present Australian Superbike Championship winners should be able to punt my exact bike around the track in around a flat 1m40s if really trying hard. So I've got a fair way to go. I can see myself getting to 1m49s fairly easily based on all the mistakes I'm presently making (lots). Give me 3 more track days to practise and hone the basic essential skills and I should get there. My long term (2yr) goal is to reach 1m45s with this bike in stock road-going trim, and once I achieve that I'll look towards modifying it.

Here's some action shots:

http://www.employees.org/~slf/R1/pird-06-01-06.jpg

http://www.employees.org/~slf/sbs/pic1.jpg

http://www.employees.org/~slf/sbs/pic2.jpg

FuRi0
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
i want that r1 m8 *drools*
am picking up a slightly damaged GSX-R 750 SRAD soon so once thats up and running i will get some pics (permiting the git dont get a better offer)
your right i cant w8 untill some better weather
picked up some "sparkeys" so cant w8 to get them into use my last pair of leathers discovered what consentrated asfault tastes like if you know what i mean :evilaugh:
i had her out on a track once but was getten anihalated by the bigger bikes
managed to keep pace with a stock rs250 though setting 3s faster laps than the aprillia rs125s but in saying that i know most of the riders on them and well i can take them on normal roads so why not on a track comes to mid :hammer:

Long Haired Git
02-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Don't have to tape the lights up Cathar?
Very generous.

I used to take my little FZR around Lakeside (QLD) and it was a case of keeping up around the back, and having everyone fly by on the straights. EXCEPT for the superbike guys. They anniliated me everywhere, everycorner, like I was driving-miss-daisy on some early-english velocoped. eg: end of the straight is a 180 degree corner and I've got my knee down, gently scraping the right-peg and thinking "I AM MICK DOOHAN" and this guy comes on his GSX750RRRRRRRRRRR and rides around me mid-corner and then just F***'s off into the distance through the twisty bits and I'm like "I AM SHITE!".
Mind you, I went like 5 times ever and he probably goes a couple of times a week.
Better skilled, and know's every bump etc.

Don't know about you, but it knackers me. Riding on the roads I can do for hours at a time, but at the track after 10 or so laps I'm ready for a break, and on track days by the time it gets to the sixth sessione I need a nap.

Cathar
02-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Don't know about you, but it knackers me. Riding on the roads I can do for hours at a time, but at the track after 10 or so laps I'm ready for a break, and on track days by the time it gets to the sixth sessione I need a nap.

You're holding on too tight. Relax more.

A good check to do is you should be able to do the chicken dance with your elbows, even when under braking so heavy that the rear wheel is starting to lift from the road.

If you can't do that at any/all points of the track, then you're holding on too tight.

Aside from gripping onto the tank with your thighs/knees under heavy acceleration/braking, you should just be a loose lump of jelly resting on the bike in whatever way is most comfortable for you to do so.

Also caused by not dropping the inside elbow enough, and not getting low enough to provide steering input perpedicular to the steering head axis. When entering corners you should be relaxed, low, almost slung across the tank like you're a rag doll just draped there.

Steering inputs should just be a quick sharp jab to put the bike onto its side, and after that you shouldn't be doing anything else other than not falling off and winding the throttle on. If you find yourself holding on tight onto the handlebars through the corners, holding pressure either on the inside or outside bars, the problem is you. You're not relaxed enough on the bike and you're not letting it just do its thing with you merely as a dead weight on it. The more you fight it, the more it'll fight back, and the harder the work is.

It's something I'm still working on too. The faster you try to go, the more you tend to tense up and fight the bike. It's a natural human instinct. It affects everyone, and you HAVE TO do your best to fight the instinct to hold on tight, and just relax.

Always remember, the bike is happier without you than with you. It's your job to gets yourself in a way that the bike's geometry doesn't really notice that you're there.

Long Haired Git
02-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Yeah, all good in theory and at the high-performance courses I did at Mt Cotton we had exercises on this. My lap times and tiredness prove it was something I needed to work more on. Anyway, all history now: no bikes for eight years and counting.
I miss the uncontrollable smiling and giggling after being very, very naughty on public roads. Given what I see driving in Sydney I wouldn't ride here anyway: people are idiots. Saw another "wrong-way-around-a-round-about" incident just this week.
Track-day-bike for Eastern Creek is financially un-obtainable for near future, but you need to have dreams...

FuRi0
02-10-2006, 03:32 AM
track days are never "financialy unobtainable" you just have to know the person that runs it
in my case jeremy mcwiliams :)

Cathar
02-10-2006, 04:16 AM
I think that the main expense of track days is the tyres.

A track day at Phillip Island will set you back around £79 equivalent, £75 if you're a regular. At Eastern Creek, around £70. That gets you 6 x 20min sessions.

Problem with a track day is that if you're a quick rider, you'll chew through a set of sticky sports tyres about every two or three track days, or about £70-105 per day in tyres. Throw in fuel, food, and transport, and you're looking at about an extra £50 on top of that.

So all up, a track day here costs around the £210 mark, or about $500 Aussie dollars. Even if the track itself was free, it'd still be around the £140 mark at best, or about $310 Aussie.

That's the sort of thing which the average Aussie could afford every 2 months.

Marci
02-10-2006, 05:45 AM
This is where it helps to know someone in GP... we get rather spunky Dunlop 208GPs for £65 a pair straight off their team truck with monotonous regularity :D

Cathar
02-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Hmmm, 1/3rd price Dunlop 208GP's, or full price Pirelli/Metzeler's. :uhh:

That'd actually be a hard choice for me, given that the Dunlops chew themselves apart about 3x as fast as the Pirelli Corsa's/Metzeler M1's. On Tuesday I went from 25% worn Dunlops to no tread left at all on the rear in spots by day's end, and the front chewed to crap. Basically ~$370 in tyre life gone in the space of 2hrs riding. :mad:

I like the way the Dunlop's stick. Don't like the way they feel - front end got uncomfortably vague on me at times at high lean - almost like it was about to push - whereas the Powers/Corsas/M1's don't have that vagueness at any time, and feel planted (well, at lean angles up until the footpegs sans feelers start scraping anyway). Hate that the Dunlops really do need to be 1/3'rd the price of anything else to resemble value for money. Only thing I don't like about the Pilot Powers is that they have this "dippy" feeling at about 70% lean unless you put highish pressure in them.

Still, if the Dunlop's are available for cheap enough, like you're getting them for, then I wouldn't complain.

Just my 2c on tyres I've experienced so far.

Marci
02-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Wish I could find a cheap source for tyres for the NS125... :( Missin' my baby...

Long Haired Git
02-10-2006, 03:17 PM
For the record, I meant the bike itself. Tyres + maintenance + repairs + fuel I didn't even consider.

Cathar
02-10-2006, 09:30 PM
For the record, I meant the bike itself. Tyres + maintenance + repairs + fuel I didn't even consider.

Sounds to me like you need a mid-life crisis. :evilaugh:

I liked this definition I saw at another web-site.

Mid-life Crisis - It's what boring, jealous people call it when somebody makes a positive change in their life and starts doing things they enjoy instead of spending all their days fulfilling society's obligations.

FuRi0
02-11-2006, 04:55 AM
perielli diablos
or dunlop gp20s are whats on my nsr normaly depending on financhal status

Marci
02-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Life may be about to improve - the 7gear Mito125 ex-works race bike is being retired to life as a road bike... :evilaugh: I've watched it cruise down motorways at 120mph under a friend of mine who happens to weigh near on 19 stone... wonder how it'll go with a l'il 10stone wiry runt like me strapped to it!? :D Going quietly mad since the NS got taken off the road... 27 days to go til the start of the 06 season tho... better start doin' me botty bounces

Cathar
02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
10 stone eh? You are a lithe lad. Tipping the scales at about bang on 15 stone here. Wouldn't mind being 12.5 stone again one day. Slowly working my way there. Any less than that at my height and build (fairly broad) and I have to start sacrificing significant muscle mass.

Marci
02-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Typical brit - all skin n' bones n' legs n' feet... :D (and hair)

Long Haired Git
03-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Marci, is it the older Mito or the super-yummy cagi-mito-evolution (916 lookalike)

Marci
03-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Older one....

http://www.bodo-schoenhuette.de/motorrad/cagiva%20mito125.jpg.jpg

`cept all in red...

FuRi0
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
tires for the NS shouldn't be hard to find i get mine for 70 each

Cathar
03-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Was back at Phillip Island on Thursday. Slowly cranking up the pace to a reasonable level. Now hitting ~1:51 lap-times.

Here's an action pic, taken in about the exact same location as the one above. Even just looking at me then, and now, I can see why my lap times are coming down quickly.

http://www.employees.org/~slf/R1/pird-09-03-06.jpg

Gotta break into the sub-1:50's, and then I'll be a happy boy. Was booked into the medium-fast group on Thursday, and was passing everyone. Only guy who got past me was the track-day organiser who's an ex-racer and even he reckoned I wasn't that easy to get past. He certainly wasn't pulling away from me with any great speed once he did get past. He typically laps in the 1:46-47's on tuned up-specced 600cc bikes. If I ever get this street-trim R1 down to 1:44-45's, I'll know that I'm starting to get decent at this gig.

Time to book myself into the fastest track grouping and start picking up some ideas and lines from the guys who are going quicker than I.

Marci
03-13-2006, 07:43 AM
tires for the NS shouldn't be hard to find i get mine for 70 each
70 each is more cash than I have right now... like I said... need a CHEAPER source - and I can get em for £49 each (Bridgestone BT45) from my regular supplier... however, I need even cheaper than that...

S'up for sale for £250 now anyways...