PDA

View Full Version : I have a lot more respect for the DIYers now

pHaestus
08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
I had to make some sample holders for synchrotron experiments we were doing last week in Chicago. So I bought some aluminum of the proper size at online metals and then bought a new drill press to handle all the hole drilling required. It's not easy at all to produce something that looks professionally done to high tolerances with a drill press! My first sample holder was terrible, the second was almost acceptable, and the third looked good only to people with no experience in quality machining.

I have been thinking about a second loop in my rig for PSU, SB, and mosfets. I almost have enough skill to put something like that together now I think but would be embarrassed to post pictures for the pros here :)

Brians256
08-24-2005, 05:17 PM
You can produce things with a drill press if you have LOTS of patience and experience. But, it's a pain. I know how hard it is to produce a Xjinn style block with a drill press.

After playing with a CNC mill, I seriously lust after one. Being able to produce blocks, manifolds and fittings.... it'd be quite fun. I'd also like to have a sheet metal brake, and a ....

Too many toys, not enough money+time.

maxSaleen
08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Ph:

I'm just curious to know what part of Chicago you were in. I used to live there. Two blocks west of the John Hancock building to be precise. How did you like the city? Did you have a chance to experience Michigan Avenue? Millenium Park? The lake front? It really is one very fun city, even if you are there on business.

pHaestus
08-24-2005, 09:25 PM
I experienced O'Hare airport, I-294/I-55,, and Argonne National Laboratory :)

jaydee
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
I tell you what, after using the CNC mill and then trying to make a block with my drill press I got a lot more respect for #Rotor. I know I could do a lot better with a better drill press but still...

And a note to potential drill press purchasers, buy a good one, don't get a cheap one that the chuck wobbles. Mine is completely useless with a bit under 3/16".

zachjowi
08-24-2005, 10:35 PM
I experienced O'Hare airport, I-294/I-55,, and Argonne National Laboratory :)

How did you like Argon? Did you see any of the white deer?

Etacovda
08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
99% of using a crap drillpress is using a decent centre punch before hand.

Absolute easiest way of doing it - put it in cad, make your design, print it 1:1, cut it out, double sided tape it to your piece, then centre punch the centres.
Easy enough to have tolerances <0.25mm - I made 10 blocks with an array of 3mm holes 4mm apart, in a hexagonal pattern (think storm) with no issues at all. This was all done on a 50$US drill press.

jaydee
08-24-2005, 11:14 PM
99% of using a crap drillpress is using a decent centre punch before hand.

Absolute easiest way of doing it - put it in cad, make your design, print it 1:1, cut it out, double sided tape it to your piece, then centre punch the centres.
Easy enough to have tolerances <0.25mm - I made 10 blocks with an array of 3mm holes 4mm apart, in a hexagonal pattern (think storm) with no issues at all. This was all done on a 50$US drill press.
That is exactly how I make drill presed blocks.

My press is not even in the ball park of usefull though. If I put a 1/8" drill bit in I can make a 1/4" circle on the top of my block just by how badly the chuck is off balance. Also on a $50 drill press. I usually end up using my CNC mill with the hand wheel as a drill press. But yeah, center punch. I would also suggest using a spring loaded center punch first then using a regular center punch. Seems to give me a little more accuracy.

Etacovda
08-25-2005, 12:22 AM
lol, i didnt crunch the math in my head before - thats one terrible press! 6mm hole from a 3mm bit, thats pretty terrible. My little press has been pretty good to me - even goes through brass @ 6mm (1/4) thick with a 15.8mm (5/8ths) drill bit without issues (rattles a bit, but the hole turns out perfect)

The only thing that I recommend when it comes to presses is, get the next size up. I wish i had, i cant even fit a simple X-Y vise on mine, which limits me heaps. With an X-Y vise, endmills/router bits + some acetal, you can make some pretty complicated parts. Im pretty pissed off that I cant fit the X-Y on mine, makes it a lot harder to make professional looking pieces.

I hope you're using a drill press vise, pH? theres no way id attempt to make anything without one.

superart
11-02-2005, 01:32 PM
ph,
Doesnt your school have a machine shop?

Etacovda
11-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Many universities dont have a decent machine shop.

I dont think pH has been around for a long time now anyway.

jaydee
11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
pH isn't in school anymore.

superart
11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
He's not?

Whats he doing now? I didn't know there was a demand for experts on shooting dirt with laser beams in the real world.

jaydee
11-03-2005, 01:48 PM
He's not?

Whats he doing now? I didn't know there was a demand for experts on shooting dirt with laser beams in the real world.
He is a scientist specializing in chemistry if I remember right. It is posted here and there through the site. Sure he will jump in here and clerify.

pHaestus
11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm a professor :)

But the school physics machining shop wanted $1000+ and 6 week lead time. So I improvised

superart
11-04-2005, 09:32 AM
That sucks.

The machine shop at my school is similar, but its run by rednecks, so theres a couple payment options.

For example, you can get your project done faster and "under the table" for a 12-pack of miller.

Every department has their own shop at your school? That seems kinda wastefull.

j813
11-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Really, hopefully few schools are like that? Comparing to where I'm from.

Etacovda
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I doubt that every dept has them...

9mmCensor
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
yeah I doubt the English deptartment has a machine shop.

jaydee
11-04-2005, 08:38 PM
yeah I doubt the English deptartment has a machine shop.
I would go to collage if they did! :D

superart
11-05-2005, 07:27 PM
ok, maybe rephrase my question.

Do the science orineted departments at your school use a different shop than what the engineering oriented departments use?

better?

KnightElite
11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
I believe that there is only the Engineering Shops at the U of S (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong pH). I tried making a railgun at one point, and it would have been trivial for them to do it up with a CNC machine (I had it all drawn up in solidworks, etc...), but they were installing the MasterCAM software to do that the next week, and learning to use it sometime after, so instead they wanted to charge me $400. I said screw it and abandonned the project. I still need to do something with all those 450V 2400uF Capacitors though....

bigben2k
11-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Mmmm railgun...

superart
11-23-2005, 11:24 AM
did you try offering them 12-pack?