PDA

View Full Version : OK I'm back

pHaestus
03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
That didn't last long. LOL. I have been so concerned about misusing authority and moderation powers that I forgot about one thing: this IS my site. If you have a technical disagreement then that's fine. But if you resort to twisting works and trying to do character assassinations then it's way past the line and you have to go. A lot of the flaming on this forum of late has been the result of people baiting me or other posters in the attempt to make others look bad. It will not be tolerated in the future.

FYI I kicked Etacovda out of IRC today...because his presence made me uncomfortable. He chose to bait me in there and then post his slanted interpretation of the events on our forums. At that point I felt like I couldn't even relax and be myself in an IRC channel I've regularly hung out in for over 6 years. At that point HE had to go; not me. Hate me if you want; it's my prerogative. We don't typically leave IRC bans up for long anyway.

The same is true with these forums. As long as Joe owns this site and I am a technical writer then we will manage it as we see fit. In the past this has been really hands-off. Now it will not be. My interest is simple: I want this forum to be a place where technical discussion can take place and where people from industry and from the workshop can meet to talk about what works and what doesn't. What has happened here is very far from that, however. Although BillA can be abrasive (no doubt) and insulting (oh lord yes) he also is a good person to have around and I deeply enjoy the interactions I have had with him, Les, incoherent, myv65, groth, robotech, talcum, and yes Cathar. I'm sure I'm missing some others that for whatever reason just aren't leaping to mind. THAT level of discussion (beer calcs right?) is what separated this forum from the rest and made it worth the while for busy people to get involved.

If that can return then great. If none of the above people will return to posting then so be it. But I am not willingly going to let the people who I view as being the source of my great enjoyment of being a tester get run off from here and instead I will fight to protect MY personal stomping grounds. No peeing in the pool! If you interfere with my above stated desires then you are not welcome here. There are many forums where enthusiasts can "guess" as to what is going on without basis in fact. This is where we strive to do better.

And before you even think about replying with some stupid shit or picking a fight:
Do so and I will ****ing ban you.

OK I've said my piece. How's that for being proactive?

Joe
03-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Those who mistook our hands off attitude toward moderating the forums for weakness... will need to think again.

Pretty much the party is over for those who think they can shit all over technical conversations and cloud them with personal battles. If thats your bag, go somewhere else. I mean look at pH's avatar... that ****ers not screwing around anymore.

Incoherent
03-15-2006, 03:33 PM
:)

Great.

I feel better already.

wildfrogman1
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm still around...lurking mostly but still here. Less flamebait/personal fighting etc sounds good to me :nod:

laxman
03-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah Im still here too, and it is good to hear that you are sticking around pH. I will be needing you help once I get my bench up and running. Tips, pointing out blanted errors and what not. BTW an eta on when it will be finished is sunday.

TerraMex
03-16-2006, 09:06 AM
sounds good to me (http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/temporary/PBF029ADGeniusSir.html).
are you "unbanning" billA and Cathar or they are still on timeout in the corner for not being nice? :).

Joe
03-16-2006, 09:09 AM
BillA was never banned, he left on his own. Cathar is also not banned, and most obviously he never left :)

TerraMex
03-16-2006, 09:18 AM
roger.:ha:

terrri_nobody
03-16-2006, 09:28 AM
As a Newbie trying to learn (quietly) I applaud you for taking on this difficult task.

well that's my one post for the month.

Jag
03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm glad you reconsidered.
Let's move forward.

murray13
03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
O.K.:nod:

Cathar
03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd like to think that over IRC, whereby it's more conversational and people can get a better idea where each other is coming from, in the last two days we've managed to hash it out that we really all want the same thing at the end of the day. With the impersonal nature of internet forums, sometimes it's easy to lose track of where everyone wants to go, and once incendary comments start flying, all bets are off.

Sometimes it's just best to have a punch up, then when you're sick of beating your head or having it beaten, suck it up, say sorry, have a beer together (I guess IRC is the closest internet equivalent to having a beer together), and rediscover that you're all basically on the same side and this is achieving nothing.

Somewhere along the way I think everyone started second-guessing everyone else's "agenda", which is interesting, because there was only one person who was throwing that word around, and he no longer posts. I digress though. I don't want to play the blame game though, I'm as much as at fault for the shit-storm as anyone else.

I apologise to everyone for getting narky, and participating. I may have felt justified (and still do), but that doesn't excuse it.

At the end of the day, we're a community of people with like-minded interests. We all want to plot the best path forwards for exploring system-complete analysis, measurement, quantification, and improvements, just as we've been doing so very amicably for the last 4 years. We've had a disagreement over how that may best be achieved, and it all got far too personal when people started accusing others of having some "agenda", but again I'd like to think that we've worked past that misunderstanding.

Sure, some of us are still wearing bruises, and are still smarting, but I sense that we're on the upswing again, and that can only be a good thing for all.

Am looking forwards to new, mature, rational, reasoned, and non-attacking, threads that explore the technical issues that some of us have been discussing via IRC, and work to solve some of the technical frustrations that have been baffling forwards progress of late. There's room here for multiple independent points of view, and I believe that we may have reached a thresh-hold where there is no longer one clear answer for CPU waterblock performance assessment, but rather a set of co-related effects that can be split out and explored independently ("artificial but controlled carefully with set error-bars"), coupled with exploring them co-dependently ("real-world but with documented dependent effects").

No single method is more correct than the other, because what's correct depends on exactly what it is that is being quantified. Both serve separate goals that when brought together and studied carefully will provide a richer picture of the co-dependent effects of a real-world setup.

That's my 2c.

[Edit: Oh - and welcome back pH!]

j813
03-17-2006, 07:07 AM
On to progress, time to move on :)

zoson
03-18-2006, 10:18 PM
IMO pH is too passive in general.
I look forward to this new era of modration. Perhaps it will extend past procooling into his gaming endeavors? In which case I will gain a valuable player. ;)

FYI pH, I recently rolled an alt on the server Muradin due to the recent mixup of transfers on TL. I'm sure I could get you an invite if you wished to join the guild I am now in there, which is further in progress than any guild on TL.

Joe
03-18-2006, 11:10 PM
because thats exactly what pH needs, more WoW Addiction...

BGP Spook
03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I had to break that one a once. (Refering to WoW Addiction.)
Tried to start playing again--with moderation--but had to give it up, again. Too busy for it now, and at least for a couple more years....

I hope this is a turning point for procooling.
I think it is, but something in me always worries about unknowns.

Hopefully we will see less :doh: , :hammer: , :confused: , and :mad: .

clone
04-21-2006, 04:32 AM
wow addiction /played = 106 days for me