PDA

View Full Version : password setting to access snap

iamalex
03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
We are on a workgroup but I want to set a password to get on the snap.
How do you do that so it asks for password to let you on.
I put want on guest, but it still goes right into snap 2000.
Would appreciate help.

Alex

blue68f100
03-27-2006, 04:25 PM
You should have an admin pw set. You can control access through users and group access. There is a link on the wiki section for the user manual. All users must have read access inorder to have access to the lower levels. If you add user names the same as their windows login name you can auto connect.

iamalex
03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I can get into admin fine.
But even if I put new user and give password, it does not seem to matter, because anyone can see it on the network "Workgroup".

We are letting some other people come in shortly and use or network and I don't want them to be able to get into the snaps, so I need to block it.

I thought all I needed to do was have password, but does not seem to matter.

Any other help?

Thanks,

Alex

blue68f100
03-27-2006, 05:46 PM
On the 2000 after you make changes to permissions you need to reboot the snap for them to take place. Users should be able to see the snap root shares (mount point). But will be prompted for ID and PW. If they do not have access they will receive an access denied message.

If you don't set it up correctly they will get access. The snap sw is good in checking for security flaws.

iamalex
03-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Thank you. That was it, the reboot.

It is working fine now, just had to reboot.

iamalex
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Can you tell me, is there a way to just set a computer ip address with full access to snaps that have passwords on them?

We have a backup system running from one computer that copies files on the snap and backs them up to a particular drive, so I need a way for it to still automatically back up files if the snaps now have passwords on them.

Is there a way to do this?

Appreciate any help.

Alex

blue68f100
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
If you are asking how to backup users data area, with security set on the snap.
The only way I know of is to have admin rights. With admin you will have full access. This way your backup program will work as usual. The snap uses the user name displayed on the login screen. Once you have login with a user that has admin rights and started your backup program, it will contine to work as long as you don't log out.

iamalex
03-29-2006, 08:51 AM
So you mean if I put the ip address of the backup computer in with full privelages, it should work?

Do I need to put user name, or just ip address?

Thanks,

Alex

blue68f100
03-29-2006, 10:21 AM
You will need a user name (with admin rights) and pw. IP address not required.

I would make it unique to the backup computer (BUCPU), not your id. That way you will be able to track changes.

iamalex
03-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Thank you,

That makes sense.

Alex