PDA

View Full Version : Snap & Gpl

Parity Error
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Since Guardian is Linux-based; shouldn't the source be available to all under the GPL?

jontz
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
GPL doesn't stipulate that you have to freely distribute a customized version of Linux, unfortunatley. And I believe that guardian is really unix based, isn't it? If so, GPL doesn't apply at all...

re3dyb0y
06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Like the Snap OS is heavily customised BSD

The GPL applies to the end software and if it has one, you can edit, modify etc to your hearts content

Phoenix32
06-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Ya know, speaking of this subect... There is a little NAS OS being used out there called RAIDiator. It is used in the infrant NAS devices. I have not used one, but I hear VERY good things about this NAS OS. Here is the catch. They put it into a flash ram card in the system and do not have full versions of the OS available as far as I am aware.

Now how does this apply here? Glad you asked...

On their web page describing the OS, at the bottom, in small print, it says this

"** For GPL license information and source code availability, please refer to the CD-ROM included with your Infrant Product or click here"

With a Link to here

http://www.infrant.com/gpl.htm

A Linux friend of mine (I am not a linux kinda guy) downloaded all this crap and could not make it work or compile at all. He tried many things with zero success, but then that does not mean you all can't.

Why do you care? How does it apply to this Thread? How does it apply to this forum? Easy...

You might care because if you are here, you have interest in NAS solutions, and this OS is supposed to be a good one (I cannot say myself). It applies to this thread because it started about GPL and this is supposed to fit in that catagory, and is supposed to be able to be downloaded and compiled. It applies to this forum because it is NAS OS stuff and because rumor has it, this OS might very well work on Snap Servers (including those who have lost their OS).

Any takers? Anyone got more info?

If I am boring you, just say so and I will shut up... :D

re3dyb0y
06-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll have an OEM evaluation unit!

re3dyb0y
06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Ive got time this summer so ive got FreeNAS to try

NasLite SS aswell

jontz
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Any takers? Anyone got more info?

If I am boring you, just say so and I will shut up... :D

Not boring at all. I have just about got my basement cleared out and am setting up a workshop (FINALLY). This sounds like a good project to kick off the new basement with...

Phoenix32
06-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Not boring at all. I have just about got my basement cleared out and am setting up a workshop (FINALLY). This sounds like a good project to kick off the new basement with...

:D :D :D