PDA

View Full Version : Snap 2200 Disaster....need help!!!!

rspalding
06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I have read many of the posts concerning this model Snap Server.....at this point I feel VERY VERY dumb for placing my faith in the mirror backup in this product....I am screwed-blued-and tattooed!!!! All of a sudden I have a crashed system with both drives showing up as fatal errors.

Can anyone give me ANY method of trying to access the disk data .....how could BOTH disks go bad at the same time???Would a recovery service like Gillmore be able to retrieve this type of data ..???????

There must be some way to access this ....the data didn't just dissappear????:hammer:

jontz
06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm...not sure what this is worth, but if both drives are showing up as fatal error, I have two thoughts:

1) You had a fan failure and fried both drives (ask Blue about this...it has happened to him).

2) The drives are fine and the IDE controller in your Snap is taking a dump.

I don't believe that you can just slap a snap drive in a machine and read it. You could try copying one of the drives to another drive using DD from a knoppix CD and then putting it back in the snap to see if the snap can read it then.

I am sure that between the knowledgable people in this forum we will be able to get you fixed up.

blue68f100
06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Well if it was raid 0 ????
There is no redundcy, A raid this is not a raid.

Did you remove the wrong drive???
Drive ID for a 2200 are 10000 for the top and 10010 for the lower.

Put the pulled drive back in, and see what happens.

jontz
06-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Blue is right, I didn't think about RAID 0. Good thing we are here to catch each other...

re3dyb0y
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Blue is right, I didn't think about RAID 0. Good thing we are here to catch each other...

Yeah and with the more of us in the know it helps

Me and david kept falling over each other for a while