PDA

View Full Version : SNAP Server 2200

DaveIsHere
06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey Guys I am new here, I love the site and finally decided to join. Hope I will be of help at some point as I am sure you all can help me.

I have a Snap Server 2200 that I got from work. They wanted to get rid of it so I took it home otherwise it was in the trash. I reset the Factory defaults and have it connected to my Wireless router(via ethernet) that has DHCP enabled, but I am unable to connect to it with Assist. I cannot see it all. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

blue68f100
06-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Does it have any hard drives installed???

Did you use the reset instruction from the wiki section or somewhere else. There are some instructions floating around that are not correct.

And what version of Assist are you using???

DaveIsHere
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Assist is 3.4.802. I did the reset according to the Snap applliance web site. The hard drives are still good from when we used it at work. All I did was the reset according to their site. I got the lights to confirm it was a factory reset.

I also have the set up info from when we used it at work. Thanks again.

blue68f100
06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
If the os was upgraded to v4, v3 will not work.
Do you know if it was setup for raid 0 ????

Confim your reset was according to what is posted on this site.
Some times you have to do it twice.

What are the led blinking?????

DaveIsHere
06-13-2006, 06:33 AM
It boots up prooperly and everything LIghts up with the system light blinking every second or so. My assumption is that it has not been upgraded in any way as it has not been in commision in our office for almost a year now and wasnt used much prior to that. I will ask around here to see if anny one else remebers. Thanks.

blue68f100
06-13-2006, 07:06 AM
The sys led is like a heart beat. It blinking every coulple of sec is normal. The dhcp only works with netbios if i recall. DHCP normaly doesn't work with home systems. If you reset it back to factory it has a IP address of 0.0.0.0 . I would try a newer version of assist.

magnets
06-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi, I think your snap is working ok. Perhaps it's your network. I’ve got much the same setup as yours, sometimes this is how I can find my snaps (I apologise if I’m being to simplistic/condescending).
If you're on windows:
Go start, run, and type "cmd" without the quotes.
A dos like box will pop up, type "winipcfg" and it will tell you what your ip address is.
now type ping and your ip address, you should get a reply. if you don't your router has the security set to high, or your computer is running some sort of firewall.
Now repeat the step increasing the last digit, i.e if your ip was 192.168.1.1 type
ping 192.168.1.2 then ping 192.168.1.3 and so on. Go up about 10 times, when you get a reply, type that number into a web browser (http://192.168.1.?) and yay, there's your snap!

Let us know how you get on...

DaveIsHere
06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
You know what come to think of It i bet my security is set very high on the router, as I was unable to ping the router itself but had access to everything. I am always thinkning to hard on these things. I will play with it again tonight.

DaveIsHere
06-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Ok I was able to get in and format the drives. I joined it to a workgroup, but I am unable to create a network path to the dirve to drop files to? I know I am missing something simple here, any advice?

blue68f100
06-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Dave check your email ......

You have 2 options use windows explorer and do a search by server name (Snap######) or by IP address.

You could also use the wizzard to add a network place, search by name or IP address.

But in order to connect everyone must have at least read rights.

re3dyb0y
06-14-2006, 01:41 AM
Ok I was able to get in and format the drives. I joined it to a workgroup, but I am unable to create a network path to the dirve to drop files to? I know I am missing something simple here, any advice?

Have you created any network shares on the snap?

DaveIsHere
06-16-2006, 07:36 AM
I have a share on the snap and it is wide open and I am still unable to locate it when trying to create a new network connection.

re3dyb0y
06-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Run Softprefect Network scanner
http://www.softperfect.com/download/netscan.exe

And http://lantricks.com/lanspy/ Lan Spy on the snap

See what shares are open etc

blue68f100
06-16-2006, 07:57 AM
search using the IP address (or SnapXXXXXX if not changed) of the server. You did set a static IP outside of your DHCP range. You don't want it floating around it's harder to locate that way.

magnets
06-16-2006, 08:12 AM
so when you created the share on the snap, did you use the web interface or the software thingy?

if the web interface: try browsing via IP address. My snap is called NasApps and lives at 192.168.1.1 (yes, that's right i have a wierd network). for some reason sometimes i can't see \\nasapps but i can always click on start, then run and type \\192.168.1.1
after it's found it that way, it seems to work via the name.
I think it's the way Netbuei works sometimes.
Let us know how you get on...

blue68f100
06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Generally I just use the IP address, it works 100% of the time. Once I find it I just create a map drive (S), mounts on startup.

XP will work with the name only if something is storing NetBeau info, or if a Named server is running.

re3dyb0y
06-17-2006, 03:16 AM
You can only make shares via the web app.....

magnets - you sound to have a DNS problem. Its not resolving NasApps @ the ip address, but when you've done it, it knows the name aswell, and therefore can connect via name

magnets
06-17-2006, 06:34 AM
that would makes sense, it's because i have a dns server that sits in my DMZ but only one of my two routers refer to it (i think) when giving leases via dhcp.
At the end of the day i think it uses ARP for the name anyway. Not mutch of an issue as you said, once it can see it, it's added it to it's lmhosts so no more issue.
bigger problem is my 40gb mirror snap that can only see 6gb mirrorred :(
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=158813