PDA

View Full Version : Question about TECs

rayita
09-01-2001, 04:04 AM
Some cuestions about TEC and watercooling.

1. What TEC I need too cool a Geforce3?
2. And the chipset?

3. Must the TEC be powered after, before, or at the same time of the CPU?

This is a good cuestion, I read a large variete of opinion but I whant to know what people think in this forum.

vfrjim
09-01-2001, 04:08 AM
If am not mistaking, someone already posted this answer on the boards if you did a search, he stated 'that he used a 50 watt pelt on his vid card and got it kept to about 7C max' other stuff in a computer is cooled enough with water, don't need a pelt for chipsett cooling. It can shut down when the comp goes on and off, NP.

Jim

hielko
09-01-2001, 01:14 PM
The Tec can be powered on at the same time as the PC. But when you have a serious cooling setup with sub ambient temp powering the tec beforce the PC goes on is better.

Simple example:

- Coldplate temp is ambient temp (20C
- CPU runs stabel at 0C
- Temp coldplate at startup will be 20C

Result crashing PC at start-up, so powering the TEC beforce the PC goes on isn't a bad idea. But in most cases it isn't needed because starting the CPU doesn't require a 100% stable CPU.

rayita
09-01-2001, 04:08 PM
Ok. But power the TEC before the CPU is more dificult than power it at the same time. In this moment I don't know how to do it (easely).

Butcher
09-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Just have a separate switch for the TEC, you almost have to have a separate psu for it so this isn't normally difficult.

rayita
09-03-2001, 03:11 AM
Yes, but this is manually, and I was thinking of some thing automatic (all the system must start with the power on button, of course is only a proyect).

Butcher
09-03-2001, 10:54 AM
You could set up a timer circuit so the TEC comes on then the comp powers up about 2 mins later or something (a 555 timer or a simple RC circuit would do that). Or you could have a temp probe and have the comp power up when the tec got cool enough

rayita
09-03-2001, 12:10 PM
Yes, when I writed the message I has thinking in this posibility, power on the PSU of computer with a temperature probe. I think on it and when it's finished I write and message with circuit and so on.