PDA

View Full Version : need advice to build a water chiller

Rotax
04-03-2001, 09:20 PM
hi i want to build a water chiller with a compressor and allthats needed to keep a small tank of water at or below freezing point.
thanx

imagex
04-03-2001, 10:22 PM
the best and cheapest way would be to scrap a old fridge or ac unit.

Rotax
04-04-2001, 12:09 AM
do you really think its gonna be enough?
i was told fridges werent enough to get rid of heat quickly enough.
i want to chill my watercooling water.
its going to have a 122 and a 72w tec.
on a pIII.
also a fridge as a tall condenser...not verry handy.
and an ac unit, im not sure either but what do i know ??!

Alives
04-04-2001, 03:20 AM
heres an idea i had for chilled water. this would let you decide the temp alot better and more controlled temps.

http://www.islc.net/~friedman/coolwater.jpg

Start = water temp
Cold = cold pelt temp
CPU = CPU temp
Hot = Hot pelt temp
Rad = Radiator temp

heres a step through of the system (measurements in units of heat added to water):
Start = 80
Cold = -42
CPU = 39
Hot = (Start + Cold) = 38
Rad = Start + Cold + CPU + Hot = 115

cpu would get water at 42 degrees if the water temp was 80. All the heat goes to radiator just like a normal peltier setup.

It just needs some highly efficient waterblocks.

Rotax
04-04-2001, 03:26 AM
is this tried and tested?

Alives
04-04-2001, 01:45 PM
no, just an idea a couple of us have been throwing around.

Rotax
04-04-2001, 08:17 PM
i called a shop and the guy told me he could build me a chiller that could keep coolant at -30 all the time.
he sais he want to charge only the parts cause he likes the challenge of doing it.
were talking of about 300$can.
the unit is supposed to be efficient enough to allow it to stop from time to time, so it wont heat too much.
if it works , i cant wait to cool my tecs with -30 coolant mixture.
ill keep you informed of developements.

Alives
04-05-2001, 03:13 AM
does he have a website where parts can be found?

Rotax
04-05-2001, 03:17 AM
not that i know of.
were supposed to start this project soon...
all i know is that its not made of refrigerating, but from a freezing compressor.
and uses low temp instead of high temp in the cooling circuit, whatever it means.
i just know that it can freeze and not affect normal operation of the unit.
ill keep you informed.

resago
04-05-2001, 01:37 PM
think the maze2 or whatever chip is making would be efficient enough for the intercooled setup?

mldhab
04-08-2001, 10:33 PM
Or - if a guy could find out about availability of the CU/AG alloy that is supposed to have such great thermal transfer properties. From it construct a couple of low profile finned plates (a lot of surface area) to be held against the peltier with a copper or whatever hollowed out (to provide water flow volume) clamp that would provide the optimum 300 psi surface to surface pressure (1200 #'s on the large Peltier). It seems to me like the clamp would have to have a center leg in the hollow area to keep the pressure even across the contact area between the peltier and the two heat transfer plates without bending the relatively soft metals we are talking about.

How do you post a graphic like yours - what do you produce the drawing in?

Alives
04-09-2001, 12:20 AM
Calm down calm down...this idea most likely wont work... The water will probably only be chilled by 10 deg if any and would require a huge one at that. It'd be easier to just stick to traditional.