PDA

View Full Version : Softmenu 3 settings??

Microsoft
12-09-2000, 12:32 AM
I wish abit made it easy to understand settings for memory does anyone know the settings that should be used?

they have 8/10 , normal, medium, fast, turbo.

------------------
Moderator:
www.procooling.com
www.compu-geeks.com
www.machit.com
Owner
www.kcdms.com

phosphor
12-09-2000, 08:53 PM
Memory Timings for the Abit board is somewhat ambiguous, however the safe timings that you would like to stick with is 8/10. From my limited knowledge within this area, settings: Normal, Medium, Fast, Turbo are remnants of earlier SIMMS (fast-page, EDO). Not to say that it will not work with you present SDRAM, but these are more aggressive timings that might give very little overall performance and poor stability (from my point of view). Latency and MHz is the key for faster performance. With this in mind, Abit did something very nice with their KT7 motherboard.

SDRAM cycle length - 2 (faster) or 3 (slightly slower). This is determined by your memory's CAS rating/MHz. Where it counts on my machine is using the DRAM clock. If you have capable PC133 memory, change this setting to HCLK + PCICLK (133). From the manual, your memory timings will never reach beyond l33MHz even with higher CPU clocks.
You can play around with you other memory things, but this is the greatest difference that I observed.

For more information about memory and timings, go to the Lost Circuits website. MS, who runs the site, does a nice job with the explanation of terms.
http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/latency/

-phosphor