PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a good non-conductive coolant

n00b
05-18-2001, 01:29 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I am eager to watercool, however I can't afford to buy a new system in the event of a catastrophic failure.

With that in mind, can anyone reccomend some good non-conductive coolants? I've heard that de-ionized water is excellent, but I believe it's also quite expensive and therefore impractical. Would regular isopropyl alcohol work?

LKraven
05-18-2001, 03:50 AM
DI water is expensive, but not prohibitively so. Unfortunately, DI water, unless kept in it's pure form, rapidly becomes conductive. It'll pick up junk from the hoses, the block, the resevoir, the pump, etc. and your "special" water suddenly conducts as well as tap water.

So forget DI water. As for isopropyl, it's a horrible heat transport. Water really is ideal stuff for thermal energy transport.

Furthermore, you should never consider using ANYTHING flammable in this kind of environment. I mean, think about it. It springs a tiny leak... it drips on the core. It vaporizes. It's pretty hot down there... it flashes and makes a mini explosion... it catches on fire... the hoses melt... more alcohol... your computer's on fire (the cpu's dead too) ... you're in the room... sleeping... you catch on fire... all your friends laugh at you during your funeral.

Don't do it.

As for a nonconductive coolant with a viscocity similar to water (so the pump can move it), if you can't afford to replace your computer, you definately won't be able to afford these very specialized liquids.

It's safe if you're careful.

Still afraid? Stick with air cooling.

Neil

n00b
05-18-2001, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the extemely informative response, Neil.

Guess I'll be sticking with fans for a while =/

Joe
05-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Flourinert works ;)

gmat
05-18-2001, 12:58 PM
Yah, like a breeze. Great liquid indeed. How much is it already ? it's around $1000 per gallon is it ? :) Just dont spill it on the carpet...

Joe
05-18-2001, 05:32 PM
and its nicely toxic.. so dont let the cat drink it either :)

ondaedg
05-19-2001, 03:52 AM
Noob, if you use high quality components with high reliability specifications, watercooling can be as safe as air cooling. However, to make a computer that is watercooled and as reliable as aircooling, you have to put alot of effort and research into it.

p[ara]d0x
05-20-2001, 02:22 PM
heh, i've seen this thread here a few *cough*hundred*cough* times before :)

All that stuff above is all true, but you might try mineral oil. I don't know how well it would work as a normal pumped coolant, but it (supposedly) worked for the immersed case the OCZ made. You could just go for a liquid immersed cooling system, completely safe to equipment, not prohibitively expensive. Only two problems I can see are leakage and not being willing to lug 200 pounds of mineral oil to a LAN :p

nonagon
05-21-2001, 02:22 AM
Flutec is a perfluorocarbon fluid similar to Fluorinert and is much less expensive.
http://www.fluoros.co.uk/flutec/electron/dccool.htm

Joe
05-21-2001, 07:35 AM
Mineral Oil is crap. its a cheap, messy, low performance coolant. Flourinert is a good thing, but is expensive. I am of the oppinion if its worth doing its word doing right,and Mineral Oil is not the right way. ( also if OCZ is using it that should be a clear sign its the wrong way to do it.) :)

Originally posted by : :p[ara]d0x:::
heh, i've seen this thread here a few *cough*hundred*cough* times before :)

All that stuff above is all true, but you might try mineral oil. I don't know how well it would work as a normal pumped coolant, but it (supposedly) worked for the immersed case the OCZ made. You could just go for a liquid immersed cooling system, completely safe to equipment, not prohibitively expensive. Only two problems I can see are leakage and not being willing to lug 200 pounds of mineral oil to a LAN :p

LKraven
05-21-2001, 01:45 PM
Not to mention that mineral oil is significantly more viscous than water. The pumps that most people are using are designed to move water, and are not designed to operate under the additional stress that the oil would induce. You will generate tons of heat from the pump working well beyond spec, and it will eventually puke itself and die.

Neil

jimsnyder
05-28-2001, 02:17 PM
For a little more than $100/gal., ColeParmer sells a silicone-based heat transfer fluid that pumps easier than water. The problem is that the $100 does not include the rubber free pump, the higher quality tubing, or the gloves you will have to wear to handle it. You are looking at food grade tubing sold in 50' lengths for about $100, pumps in the multi hundred range, and gloves that do not absorb silicone (a health hazarous substance). :mad: