PDA

View Full Version : networking, computers stop seeing each other after a while.

Squishyface
02-16-2001, 02:59 PM
I have three comps all with nic's hooked to a hub, then to my cable modem, then to the cable. I have 3 ip addresses, and i run zone alarm on all three computers.
I have netbeui loaded and managing the filesharing, and i have tcp/ip unbound from everything. I have dns and wins disabled in all three systems.
My problem:
At some point everyday, the icons under my network places (winME) becomes disconnected. A reboot of either machine will correct it, however, i would like to know why this happens and if i can fix it.
Do i need to add each computer's ip address to zone alarm? Since they recognize each other without me doing that...i wonder if i even need to mess with that.

Also, with zonealarm, if my computers can see each other without having the ip addy's entered in zonealarm...can everyone else on the net also see my shared folders?? That would suck http://www.procooling.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
1.2Tbird @1456 with winter air cooling...yeah baby!

Joe
02-16-2001, 06:33 PM
its all WinME http://www.procooling.com/ubb/smile.gif GOD that OS sucks

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

Squishyface
02-16-2001, 11:32 PM
I have a copy of Win2k advanced server on the way...possibly 2 copies...cackle :P

------------------
1.2Tbird @1456 with winter air cooling...yeah baby!

Microsoft
02-17-2001, 12:03 AM
YEP ME sucks bad. I love my 98 SE and my W2K's all the way up to AS

------------------
Moderator:
www.procooling.com
www.machit.com
Owner
www.kcdms.com

Freakyfrank
03-16-2001, 08:21 AM
microsoft even admitted they had probs with the DHCP client and other networking components..

just stik to win98se for gaming and w2kprof for the rest..

------------------
OC'ing is my middlename

Alives
03-17-2001, 04:43 AM
Quit bashing the OS...its not ME's fault. The probelm is netbeui. All you need for MS Networking is TCP/IP.

Dont get me wrong though...I'll never touch ME again...even if my life depends on it. 98se or 2k all the way!

neo1999
03-20-2001, 08:27 AM
Also make sure you're not trying to run full-duplex on a hub. I did that when I first networked my PCs and got the same symptoms you're describing.
You should probably be able to do 100/half duplex if your hardware supports it.

Squishyface
03-20-2001, 10:22 AM
I tried running my lan wihtout netbeoui (however that word is spelled :P) and i couldn't share my folders reliably with the other computers. So netbeui stays.

How do you set your lan connections speed? My linksys router is also a switch...but i don't think there is an option to set the speed to half-duplex. :(

neo1999
03-20-2001, 12:15 PM
Usually there's a setting to set duplex and/or connection speed here:

Right-click on Network neighborhood or My Network Places
Hit Properties.
Choose the adapter from the window.
Hit Properties, then go to the advanced tab. The options should be there. If not, there's probably a utility from the manufacturer that can change link speed and duplex.

Alives
03-21-2001, 02:56 AM
Also...if youre doing 100baseT and the cable lengths are longer than about 20 feet youre gonna need a real hub...no netgear, dlink, or linksys will work here.

Nordic
03-22-2001, 05:20 PM
WinMe is no good I tell you! :D
I've managed large LANs with clients using WinMe where DHCP won't work sometimes and you have to move the NIC to another slot and then the WinMe-client will receive it's IP. Other than that I can just say to those of you who are using anything other than TCP/IP: You are missing out.

Hardware
06-05-2001, 10:19 PM
try adding IPX to the protocols.
This happened in our network when overclocked more so but even @ default
CPU speeds. It turned out the network liked the Linksys nics but not the netgear. Both netgear Rigs fell off the network while the 3 linksys never had a problem. We just went and purchased 2 more linksys nics. Problem solved for us.