PDA

View Full Version : major help needed

Microsoft
02-19-2001, 03:46 PM
My moms system all of a sudden wouldnt turn on.

I so far have replaced the PS, Mobo. if the CPU is bad wouldnt i at least get the Drives to light up and go? So far swapping the mobo i get the cpu fans to go and light up the mobo but the drives wont turn over? did something happen that crashed everything in her system?? I cant believe it but nothing seems to power up.

------------------
Moderator:
www.procooling.com
www.machit.com
Owner
www.kcdms.com

Joe
02-19-2001, 04:50 PM
there a 12v short somewhere. check. cause I have seen that happen before. ( last night infact... but then I forced it to power up and smoked some power wires...)

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

Microsoft
02-19-2001, 05:18 PM
ok so far changed cpus now and nothing. not even a beep or alarm.

so that leaves the ram and the video but anyone else no what it is? and the cd roms open so i know powers to them.

think it be the ram?

------------------
Moderator:
www.procooling.com
www.machit.com
Owner
www.kcdms.com

Microsoft
02-20-2001, 01:16 PM
Power supply blew, took out her video, HD, PS, and a cdrom.

havent had a chance to test any of the other cards

------------------
Moderator:
www.procooling.com
www.machit.com
Owner
www.kcdms.com

lancelh1
04-04-2001, 03:31 AM
Why did the supply blow? I had a supply blow on me and it was because I didn't use insulated screws to bolt down the MOBO, last time I ever did that. Anyway a buddy of mine removed his MOBO to paint his case and put one of the MOBO mounts in the wrong location with grounded out the ram dimm's. This caused the exact exact symtoms, so if you removed the MOBO for any reason you might check that. Also it would be a good idea to use insulated screws to mount your MOBO if your not. But I would tear that board out of the system again, to try to find the cause of the problem, in all my years of computer building I have never seen a powersupply do that much damage when it went. Not without a good reason.

Good Luck :)

Alives
04-04-2001, 01:43 PM
insulated screws? arent all screw holes grounded anyway?

imagex
04-04-2001, 06:51 PM
have you tryed just the mobo by it's self?with no cards or drives just the cpu if u get a beep add ram then video then drives.
i've done tech support and never in all my call has that failed. later :)

Microsoft
04-04-2001, 08:16 PM
well it was the PS that killed all the parts

imagex
04-04-2001, 10:43 PM
act of god? :confused:

Freakyfrank
04-06-2001, 03:15 AM
jeez, that sux..
hopefully there's still some guarantee left.

this is an example why u don't want to power ur pelts and fans on ur system psu..