PDA

View Full Version : Unaclockers wiring pump to psu mod

garetjax
12-28-2001, 07:44 AM
Hi,

Unaclocker posted this mod in another forum which I used to wire my pump to my psu. When I switch on my psu the pump turns on so it can run without the pc being on. It's great because it doesnt require a relay and also because you only have to solder 3 wires.

GaretJax

Open the power supply.. You'll see wires coming off the back of the plug, the 120v/240v switch, and the on-off toggle switch.
You'll want to drill/cut and opening somewhere in the power supply to let the cord come in, and cut the plug off the pump cord. Now strip the black outter sheathing off the cord, so you reveal the 2-3 wires inside. If it's 2 wires, it'll be hot and neuteral, if 3, it'll be hot, neuteral, and ground. The ground is always green. Hot and neuteral can be white and black, blue and brown, or really anything they feel like, luckily it doesn't matter, the pump will work either way. You want to strip some of the green to bare the wire, and hook it up to the chassis of the power supply, in the last few power supplies I worked with, they had a bolt at the bottom where the green from the wall went. I just loosened that, and stuck the wire under it and tightened it back up.
Now, this is the harder to describe part. On the back of the plug inside the power supply, you'll have 3 wires coming off of it, if they're color coded green white and black, your set, if they're all black (like in mine) it's a pain in the arse. First, one wire will be going to the chassis, that's obviously ground. Next, one will run directly to the on-off toggle. That is hot, take the brown or black wire from your pump and you'll want to strip some of that wire bare, and tin it with your soldering iron. Then you'll want to attach it to the toggle switch. You'll want to attach it on the opposite side of the toggle from the wire that comes from the outlet. (The side that has a wire running to the circuit board in the power supply). That way when you turn the toggle off, your pump will stop, and it'll start when you turn it on). The other wire from your pump goes to the back of the plug in your power supply, the 3rd wire, it might be white, but if not, you should know by now which one it is, because it's the one you haven't messed with yet. You'll want to strip and tin with solder the last wire from your pump, and then attach it to the back of the plug with your soldering iron, just like you did with the other wire on the switch. At this point you can wrap your connections with electrical tape or whatever. All that's left is to put the lid back on your power supply and do a smoke test. Good luck.

iceheart
12-29-2001, 10:01 AM
In my experience, the ground is often striped with 2 colors (one often being yellow or light green, the other often black or dark brown).

(BTW I'm european so that might not apply in the US)

iceheart
12-29-2001, 10:03 AM
Also some pictures of this mod would be nice, for us that doesn't have that good imagination :D

garetjax
12-31-2001, 09:33 AM
Iceheart,

My ground wire in the psu was green - I have an enermax whisper eg465p psu. I have to pull it apart to take pictures. Once I am finished with my box I will take pictures of everything and post them.

GaretJax

Kevin
01-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Yeah I think someone should do an article on this mod. It seems very easy and very useful. I get a nice soldering lesson tomorrow in ECE class so maybe i'll do it.
-Kevin

xoLiVeRx
02-10-2002, 05:03 PM
im excited for one of you gentlemen to do a hi res picshoor article of this mod!