PDA

View Full Version : peltier help PLEASE

begrubb
03-09-2002, 11:10 AM
all right im in a little bit of a pickle at the moment

ive had watercooling for a while now but ive only just ordered an 80w peltier for my 1.266gig Tualatin

what i need to know is a couple of things

1. since the tualatins through to the pentium 4's all have an intergrated heat spreader(the metal thing on the core), is it neccessary to have a copper plate

2. ive only got a 300w power supply, do you think ill need an extra power supply

3. last but not least if i use closed cell rubber in the socket centre and around the peltier and waterblock, will i need to use any other sealant like silicon and shit

any help on any of the questions would be much appreciated

Mr Evil
03-09-2002, 11:38 AM
1) Depends on how big the Peltier is. If it only just covers the area of the heatspreader then you could get a way without a coldplate, but if it is bigger than the heatspreader then a coldplate is essential.

2) It's always better to use a separate PSU.

3) Depends how cold it gets. Try it with just what you mentioned first, and if any exposed areas start to get cold, then use more insulation.

P.S. Are you sure an 80W Peltier is enough? How much heat does your CPU put out?

begrubb
03-09-2002, 11:51 AM
on average about 37 C

the peltier is only just bigger then the heat spreader

do i absolutely have to have a seperate power supply

futRtrubL
03-09-2002, 01:34 PM
'How many Watts does your CPU put out?' is what Mr Evil was asking. A pelts Qmax needs to be above the wattage of the CPU by a large amount to cool. For instance, if your CPU produces 80W and the Qmax is 80W then there will be NO temp difference across the pelt. (Qmax is measured with no temp diff).

What Vmax and Imax is your pelt? Then look at the stats for your PSU on the line at or just bellow Vmax. Is the current on the line significantly above the Imax? Then it might work.

You will deffinately need a cold plate, even if the pelt is the same size as the built in heat spreader. Mating pressures for a pelt are around 10 times the mating pressures for the CPU.

Edward

begrubb
03-09-2002, 01:51 PM
i dont know the cpu's wattage

begrubb
03-09-2002, 02:17 PM
ok ive got it now

its 29.9W

begrubb
03-09-2002, 02:30 PM
from my calulations (if all goes well knowing my luck it wont) there will be a temp difference of around 45C so that will bring my cpu temp below zero

Brad
03-09-2002, 05:37 PM
I'd definately use sealant then, and buy a cheap AT psu with enough power on the 12v rail for the pelt. i'm not sure about running a cold plate or not, the extra thermal interface would probably be offset by the fact all of the pelt is being used