PDA

View Full Version : TEC - Power supply question

BadBitch
03-26-2002, 02:09 PM
TEC n00b here. Simple question.....

My current project will allow me a single dedicated power supply to power my TEC(s). The PS must use conventional mounting.
IE: ATX specs

I have a spare 550W Enermax.
The specs are as follows: +3.3V = 40A, +12V = 24A, +5V = 46A

If I take the following TEC specs as an example: 80W 8A 14.4V

How do I take the PS specs and enumerate them into the number of TEC(s) I can safely power ?

I realize that the TEC wants 14.4V.. which it is not getting from this PS.
Will that increase its power requirements above the listed 8A ?

Is the +12V = 24A the important figure ??

I assume I CANNOT just say:
3 8A TEC's = 24A and the +12V = 24A
and thus.. I can run 3 8A TEC's.

Clearly I need to be educated on how to figure out the power issues.

Also, is anyone aware of another PS that will use standard ATX mounting/connections and provide better specs than the Enermax ??

Flame me for being TEC ignorant.. but answer the questions first !! (hahah)

Thanks much.
-Bad

resago
03-26-2002, 07:15 PM
well, yeah you could technically run 3 pelts on the 12v line, You'd probably have to do the R82 mod to bump up the voltage.

seems like a waste of a power supply though, all those unused amps on the 5v and 3.3V lines.

You might want to get some 5V tecs to put on other stuff just for the hell of it.

Don't forget you need a load on the 5V line anyway for the PS to function.

This powersupply (http://www.mpja.com/product.asp?product=12611+PS) will power two, maybe three of those tecs and looks to be ATX.

also, at lower voltages, the tecs pull less amps, so @12V, those tecs would pull something like 6Amps each.

Brad
03-27-2002, 03:56 AM
yeah 3 pelts will be fine, 4 pelts might be pushing it a bit

TiTch
03-29-2002, 12:44 PM
I got a power supply that is for HAM radios. They do psu's that allow you to vary the power up to 15v with built in meter. Mine is a fixed 13.8v 25amp which is slightly smaller than an enermax psu. These dedicated psu's just seamed a better option than going for a modified ATX one.