PDA

View Full Version : Moving Hard Drives To Make Room For Front Fan

cabmeister
04-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi I tried to implement the first stage of a Modification to my case.In which i have to move the H/Drives and cooler up into the top cage.Unfortunatly its to much of a squeeze.I don`t know if this is possible but there is a like a platform that sits underneath the cage.Could this be re-positioned or done away with and the bottom of the cage be cut out.This then would give me room to mount the drives / cooler / floppy in that area.

gogo
04-08-2002, 12:14 AM
lil trouble understanding. got a pic or a drawing?

ECUPirate
04-08-2002, 01:49 AM
click on the link in his sig... :)

Brad
04-08-2002, 04:17 AM
yeah it could be cut out fine. you could easily mount a hdd on the bottom of it.

Or just put a hdd into a 5.25" drive

gogo
04-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ECUPirate
click on the link in his sig... :)

:shrug: oops, duh, I've even clicked it before.

Personally I haven't messed with the chieftec chassis yet, soon though. So that bottom platform doesn't hold the cage in? Cool. The only concern I can think of, since the cage doesn't actually screw to the case front, you'll lose a lot of rigidity it may move left and right. It may also make vibrations more noticeable, esp. w/the scsi drive in there. It would basically be a 3 sided box using the drives to give it strength. Like I said though, haven't played with one.

cabmeister
04-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Actually on closer inspection the bottom assemble does NOT support the cage,what it actually does is hold the cage from mooving sideways at the bottom .So really ive answered my own question :D . You are correct in saying it would be a 3 sided box holding the drives but the way it is as long as I re-locate the bottom shelf a little lower it will hold the drive cage nice and secure. Thanks for the input guys .

mcduffiem
04-19-2002, 03:17 PM
I notice you have the larger Koolance case as well. What mods do you have planned?

I hadn't planned on modding the Koolance any unless it was to put a better waterblock on it. The hose diameter makes that difficult though. But I have 2 identical cases that I plan to install DIY watercooling in.

I will just drill out the rivets for the lower drive cage. I hadn't planned on relocating it. I will move the drives to the top 3-1/2 cage and if necessary the 5-1/4 bays. But then I only need to plan on 1 CD and 2 HDDs. I may chuck the floppy altogether.

I've seen one case mod where they moved the bottom cage to bottom of the case behind the reservoir. I'm not sure if this would work for you.

Good luck and please post pics. I'm interested in mods on this case and especially the Koolance.

mcduffiem
04-19-2002, 03:42 PM
I had forgotten this in my original post above. One "mod" I did do for my Koolance was to install a 80mm fan in the lower drive cage. The original OEM cases come with an adapter for this similiar to the rear fan snap-in adapters. Koolance did not include this nor the front case fan adapter where the reservoir is located.

I just used rigid packing foam to fashion an adaptor. The 80mm fan provides addiitonal airflow and directly cools the hardrive(s).

cabmeister
04-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Basicly all really I am trying to acomplish is to mount a Panaflo 120mm L1A fan to the bottom front of the case . to give more airflow to get rid of some of the static hot air that seems to be building up and not helping cooling as best it should , although I have to accept the fact that being where i`m located ambient temp is my worst enemy . I have already 2 Panaflo 80mm L1A`s in the rear as exhaust and to me helps but not quite as i would like . The 2 SCSI devices seem to push temps a little . I do however want to keep the rig as quite as possible so you see why my choice of fans is what it is .As you say mcduffiem theres really not to much you can do to the actual cooling system itsself ,but hey its a start. I love it , and will , as you will be , delving quite a bit deeper into another WC rig. This time providing bits and pieces and going at it myself . The more exspearianced bruces here will i`m sure let me know if i`m on the right track as they would anyone that would need help in such matters.If you take a peek at the pictures you will see what it is up to now ,and tomorrow will be advanced a little further I hope , of course will post pics cause as you know they speak a thousand words.

cabmeister
04-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Well all is done eccept for a grille . Pics have been posted and I will be looking closely at what Temps it will run at now. Its still very quite .