PDA

View Full Version : no load pelts

socketman
05-21-2002, 12:55 AM
I want to use the cold side to cool an area, and the hot side of the pelt to heat an area.
I dont want to attach anything to either side of the pelts - i just need the hot/cold a pelt can provide. Is there any problem doing this?

I know this isnt the usual setup for a pelt so i was curious if just hooking it up and letting it ride is ok.. thanks

Brad
05-21-2002, 03:39 AM
you'll need something to remove the heat on the hot side, or the pelt will overheat very very quickly

bigben2k
05-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Socketman,

I think you're suggesting using a Peltier in air, with nothing attached to either side.

Although a Peltier is designed to transfer heat from one side to the other, making one side cold, and the other hot, it does so to such a high degree, that you MUST use something to transfer the heat/cold.

Otherwise, you're running the risk of burning up your Peltier.

If you want to heat/cool different sides, then just attach a heatsink with a fan to both sides. Tip: try not to mount them in such a way that the heat can be transferred back to the cold side (i.e. metal bolts).

The rating of the Pelt will be important here.

socketman
05-21-2002, 11:16 AM
i will actually have two pelts, spaced a few inches apart in a 15in x 6in x 6in tunnel...
the tunnel will have two "levels". both the top and bottom will have 2 case fans pushing air thru them. Between each floor will be some serious insulation ensuring the hot and cold dont mix. If i need a heat sink on the hot side, thats no problem.
Between each case fan will be a desiccant wheel to remove humidity from the ambient air.
The air will then be piped to the case, where hopefully the humidity will be low enough to prevent condensation.
I appreciate your input guys. so basically i need a heatsink and a means to remove the heat to prevent a burnout. Sounds good.
I NEED to get the hot side temp to around 120 F.. any idea which wattage of pelt will do that?

thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

bigben2k
05-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Are you the one that's trying to supercool with dessicant in a small refrigerator?

You probably won't need a very powerfull Pelt, but you'll have to run the numbers. For air cooling, you generally have to keep it under 80W. Also, note that the Pelt will heat up one side far more efficiently than it will cool the cold side. (i.e. don't expect it to raise temp by 20C on one side, and drop 20C on the other)

Start here:
http://www.tedist.com/technical/install.html#Assembly%20Procedure

then go here:
http://www.tetech.com/design/
and let them spec/size something for you.

(I haven't figured out all those calculations yet, so if you find out anything, let us know!)

socketman
05-21-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks bigben....
nope im not the one with the frig.. but sounds interesting. Im gonna use a pelt on the cpu (with water cooling on the hot side) but i dont want to seal the socket in any way.
Only way i can do that is to drop the humdiity to avoid condensation. So im doing a home-made de-humidifier, one that will fit nice and neat on the top of my case.
Ill look into those links.. thanks again.