PDA

View Full Version : converting laptop LCD

UglyBunny
06-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Anybody think it would be possible to convert a laptop LCD display into an LCD monitor for my PC? If so how hard do you guys think it'd be? Thanks.

-Ugly

MeltMan
06-02-2002, 10:25 PM
very. I looked into it once... you have to buy special converters that support the exact panel you have. they are like $150

I think it would be cheaper to just buy a flatpanel monitor

Kevin
06-02-2002, 11:40 PM
Yeah it would be pricey. Have you looked at bare LCDs from a place like www.eio.com ? The connections are probably similar to the ones on the high end LCDs over there. You will have to convert that connection to DVI or VGA... that is probably not the easiest thing to do. Then again... I've never tried so maybe it isnt that bad.
-kev

UglyBunny
06-03-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks

-Ugly

DAMN! That IS expensive....I figured it'd be cheaper D.I.Y. Guess not oh well time to save.

imatation
06-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Its pretty easy to do, just extreemly expensive. the easiest part is getting the LCD screen, then you have to find a controler for it at somewhere like www.earthlcd.com. The controlers alone cost about $200-300. You also need power inverters for the screen if the screen doesnt already come with one. The cheapest way to use a LCD screen with your computer is to use a screen that accepts NTSC input, which are usually pretty cheap compared to vga. Then you just connect the screen to the tv out on your video card, if your video card has it. The drawback to NTSC input is its not digital, which means the picture quality really sucks.