PDA

View Full Version : New Black Ice rad!

Cyco-Dude
06-06-2002, 04:24 PM
check this one out, its a little 80mm rad (http://www.hwlabs.com/products/blackicemicro.htm)

chazz469
06-07-2002, 03:29 AM
Interesting....

Seems a little small to be useful. Especially for both CPU and GPU. Maybe if you had a couple of those it might be OK.

Brad
06-07-2002, 04:17 AM
2 of them would be fun at the front of a PC-60

Cyco-Dude
06-07-2002, 12:33 PM
too bad they have 1/4" barbs :cry:

#Rotor
06-25-2002, 11:31 PM
I dono, that seems to be a waist of space....

at the end of the day, we watercoolers are but only swopping heatsink surface area for Radiator surface area. what would be the point of using a radiator with less surface area than the top model heatsinks of the day.... I, as most know, am a "out of the box clocker" or OOTBC for short...... hmm cool.. that can go into my sig... :D... eeerm oh back to the point...... Liquid cooling gives us the ability to cleanly remove the heat from the CPU, and dump it elseware. and this is the big advantage watercooling has over heatsink cooling. [MO]

ambient
07-04-2002, 06:10 PM
that thing looks pretty small. It might work good for HD, GPU, NB. Anyone ever tried to make a rad chain. I mean like stacking them. So you have like fan>rad>fan>rad>fan in a big ass clump. Might work pretty good. One big tunnel of rad air goodness...;p

bigben2k
07-05-2002, 07:52 AM
I've seen one somewhere, on some site, but I don't remember which.

The guy stacked 2 rads (heatercores, I think) as a blow hole. Strangely, he had them in series. I remember that specifically, because he stated that the fan blows through the second rad, then the first, because the first would be doing most of the cooling.

But his setup was a push type, with fan>rad2>rad1.

Hallis
07-09-2002, 04:23 AM
the effectiveness of the 2'nd rad stacked like that would be greatly reduced since it will be getting the warm air from the first rad.. it would be better to hook them up in parallel. Oh and i just ordered and got one of the 80mm black ice rads to cool my northbridge.. i'll let you guys know how it goes.. the rad is so cute :D

bigben2k
07-09-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Hallis
the effectiveness of the 2'nd rad stacked like that would be greatly reduced since it will be getting the warm air from the first rad.. it would be better to hook them up in parallel. Oh and i just ordered and got one of the 80mm black ice rads to cool my northbridge.. i'll let you guys know how it goes.. the rad is so cute :D
True, but it's a perfectly valid alternative, considering the space required to run 2 rads, side by side, and like I said, the hot rad (1st one) gets its water first, but gets its air second.

bikr
08-07-2002, 10:59 AM
The new rads are pimp.. as long as you get a modded one from somewhere.. sysfx does their own , and they have no bottleneck , straight 3/8ths all the way through.. dangerden has theirs modded too , but bottleneck your throughput at the barbs still.. --bikr

Balerion
08-18-2002, 10:08 AM
The little 80mm is just alot more versatile. Most all cases have alot of 80mm fa mounts, so you can stick the thing virtually anywhere and not have much of a hassle mounting it. I wonder what it would be like to have 4 of these scattered around your case, with a WB optimized for low flow?