PDA

View Full Version : error 0x10

imagex
07-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Ok guys, maybe one of ya can tell me what the hell this error is, I'm installing smoothwall "linux router" on a old pc that its been use as a smoothwall box before. This time when I load the floppy boot disk I get a error 0x10?? Tried diffent nic's,floppy drive, boot disk, mother boards, cd rom, cd's eerrrrr...... I mean WTF what could it be? I've looked on linux boards and can't find anything.

Thanks poeple, Imagex

Hallis
07-09-2002, 06:07 AM
Most linux based installers load everything into a ram drive before installing,, have you checked your RAM?

imagex
07-09-2002, 11:40 AM
I'll check it or at least swap it out, thing is I used two differant pc's one uses old sim's and a newer one that uses pc100. I was just told that 0x10 is a floppy error and I have been useing old disks, 5 bad in a row ? I also tryed freesco and it said change disk could not boot. so I'll stop being cheap a buy a new box of floppys.

Thanks Imagex

warp_zero
07-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Sounds more like the floppy drive, or if you have switched out drives the floppy controller. Is your cable in the right way? Cuz floppy cables can be hard to get oriented correctly. What does the term 'smoothwall' mean?

imagex
07-16-2002, 01:15 PM
I finaly got it to work, seems it was the disks or the drive, I used a third drive I have and new disks and it worked. I was told the it is a basic IO error. Smoothwall is very cool, It takes a old pc and turns it into a realy nice router/firewall/gateway. It has all kinds of logs for firewall and does more than some of the "payfor" routers like linksys. and its free. I use dual dsl lines and need to use a nexland router to loadbalance them but I got hit by lightning and lost my nexland, so till I get a new one shipped in I needed to go back to useing my old smoothwall.

Imagex