My house is wired with cat5
phone runs across pins 4+5
I'm trying to run a network across pins 123+6
pins 7+8 are free

Problem is it just won't work, phone works fine, network wont even register
any suggestions.

jtroutma
08-13-2002, 12:07 AM
I think that trying it that way will not work period.

Nice idea though; dont get me wrong.

I think your problem is cross-talk between the network and the phone lines. The phone lines run at say 7V where networks run at less than 5V. The phone line just sitting next to the lines will cause so much noise in the network lines that the NICs just give up.

I am basing this on the fact that when I first started making CAT5 cables, I was dumb and made all the lines straight across (AKA 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, 4->4, 5->5, etc). That would work for runs 20 feet or less. After that, the cross-talk just from having the Rx lines on different twisted pairs would cause the link to fail.

I could be wrong however. I hope that some one can prove me wrong acutally :)

Try isolating each side first and then testing it. Such as, disconnect the phone lines in the CAT5 and just run network and see what happens. As long as you have pins 1,2,3,& 6 running correctly, you sould get a link. Otherwise you might have something wrong with the CAT 5 cable.

Justa suggestion.
Good luck though

Bignuts
08-13-2002, 05:11 AM
Yes, you should be able to do it. I have done similar instalations on cat 5 with multiple splits on one four pair cable, including analog phone and DSL.

Recheck your equipment, and your termination.

bigben2k
08-13-2002, 08:37 AM
For those interested...Cat5 specifications call for power lines to be so many inches away from a cable, like 5 I think.

You should check if your gear runs with just a network connection. Once you've established that, then patch it through your existing wiring (with phone). If it doesn't work, just try another pair until it does.

Buster
08-13-2002, 08:46 PM
I think your problem is cross-talk between the network and the phone lines. The phone lines run at say 7V where networks run at less than 5V.

FYI line voltage for voice is 48 - 54 vdc and apx. 110vac on the ringing current

Split 1 cat5 cable into two seperate feeds. Im sure you could use one side for data another for voice.
http://www.la-cable.com/utp_splitter.htm

I know I have seen one specificly to split data and voice, but I can't seem to recall the place that has it off hand

jtroutma
08-14-2002, 12:35 AM
Buster:

Are you sure that an analog phone system runs with that high of a voltage?! Geessssss I figured it had to be less than 12V

Oh well I can be wrong; never said I was perfect :)

Bignuts
08-14-2002, 01:25 AM
jtroutma, how do you like your RIO 1100? Is it quiet?

BaconGrease
08-14-2002, 08:26 AM
thanks for all the replies,
I will probably disconnect the phone this weekend and see how it goes. Will post back after the trial.

bigben2k
08-14-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jtroutma
Buster:

Are you sure that an analog phone system runs with that high of a voltage?! Geessssss I figured it had to be less than 12V

Oh well I can be wrong; never said I was perfect :)
It's true, the voltage running across a phone line when it rings is in the 100 Vac range.

jtroutma
08-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Bignuts:

I dont think this is the correct place to post this but yes it is almost silent. Just a slight low hum. Cant even hear it over the HDDs.

Need to get myself a RIO 1400 for my next project though.