PDA

View Full Version : Ack work...

Joe
08-30-2002, 11:13 AM
This past week I have been pretty swamped at work, but this long weekend will give me a chance to get caught up with the stuff I need to on the site. Like getting the Pro/Deals area re-done, and getting an article up or something.

As you can see by the amount of people who posted worklogs, the Pro/Staff is rather comatose. Besides for 4 team members, the rest are either AWOL, or just too busy. So I am looking around for some new blood for the site. DO NOT .. and I repeat DO NOT send me an email applying. I am going to ask people I see as being a value to the site and its readers, and do not want people to apply. I am using the common forums (Pro/Forums mainly, but a few other sites also), and websites looking around.

As well as new blood on the staff, I am also looking at getting some new projects going. This past week I unboxed DH3 from the moving box I had it in. This weekend I am going to start pulling it apart, and figure'n out what I am going to do to it for Rev2. I have spec'd the hardware thats going into it already ( Dual Athlon 2600+ OC'd as far as I can get it) with a nice video card, and some SCSI goodness. My new goal for DH3 Rev 2 is silence. Its a LOUD machine as is, I mean its freaking loud wiht 13 fans. But I am going to work on cleaning up all the fan holes to let air move easier, and slowing down the fans, ( or going to a vantec stealth setup)

Moneys a bit tight right now, so I am holding back on buying anything for my next project, but soon I will have the funds so I can get started on something new.

On a completely off topic note:

I drove a Toyota Prius yesterday for a small business trip. Not a bad car at all. Very impressed at the get up and go it has and the millage on the freeway and in the city was near 50 mpg, and up to 60 at times in the city. The CVT tranny is impressive, I cant wait to see Audi's MultiTronic tranny which uses the same technology ( basicly a snow mobile tranny just ... well improved and stronger) :)

For now I still have my Impreza ... and am lamenting the high car payment I have... god it sucks... You can thank the car for me not having any money right now ;)

Heavy_Equipment
08-30-2002, 05:58 PM
MINI uses one similar too...dumbed down for North America though. Apparently we wouldn't like 5000 rpm from stop to highway speed, with no shift lurch, or fluctuating revs.

(I sure as hell would like it.)

Joe
08-30-2002, 06:01 PM
Yeh I heard that the Mini used a CVT. Its really cool. I sorta want to AutoX a Prius :) Wonder kind of times I could get hehehehe

pHaestus
08-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Joe:

The 2600+s are nice, but since people seem to be getting the newest stepping 1600+s to 2000MHz (2600+?) then I would just try and find a source for the hot 1600+s since they are only ~ $50 each nowadays. If you watch newegg occasionally they have Tyan duallies for not much money as refurbs. I am guessing Tyan looks over boards pretty good before they go back out, and refurb mobos are most often bad flashes anyway.

Joe
09-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Thats the plan pH, finding the cheapest CPU that will go the fastest :)