PDA

View Full Version : help with network

pcman_03
09-09-2002, 07:15 PM
i am fixing to start setting up my first network i am going to be using a wireless router so that i can share with my friend who lives about a 1100ft from me. i have not purchased any of the hardware so any suggestions on routers, modem, wireless cards, and antennas along with advice on how to set the network up would be appreciated.

Buster
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4284

scott

pcman_03
09-09-2002, 10:36 PM
thanks for the link

airspirit
09-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Having just dealt with this problem myself I have a couple of q's for you.

1) How clear is the area between you. If it is an empty field (no trees or obstructions between houses), you MAY be able to use a good AP and NIC and get signal unamplified. If there is ANY obstruction, there is no chance.

2) If there is obstruction, can you set up a line-of-sight connection between an antenna at your place and one at his? By line of sight I mean that you can SEE his antenna from where yours would mount with NO obstructions between you. If you don't things are looking even worse for your project.

3) If you gave bad answers to the above, how much money are you willing to spend? Getting cable is expensive (think $1 to $1.50 per foot) and using long cables requires amplification (expensive). The only other alternative is an extremely powerful antenna (think >21dB), and there are still no guarantees. If there are a few trees or such between you, you probably can do it ... if you a huge apartment complex, you're f*cked.

I just went through this nightmare ... please think this out and RESEARCH before you start throwing money at it or you'll go broke very very quickly.

Buster
09-10-2002, 02:23 PM
He is talking 1100ft between points. There is no AP that will send a signal that far without an external antenna. I am right now sitting in my work van using a pringles can accessing a node apx. 500 feet away. The AP is an apple airport with no external antenna. without the pringles can the best this AP will do is apx. 200 feet inside the business. Im outside receiving the signal through my van and the walls of the business. As far as sending his signal 1100 feet it can be done, but like was said only minor obstuctions in the line of sight. As I have said in others posts, Im sending a signal apx. 7 miles using a modified Primestar Dish antenna on one end and a home built yagi on the other end. It can be done, but you MUST buy good equipment. The standard Linksys, D-Link etc just will not cut it.

scott

pcman_03
09-10-2002, 10:54 PM
air there are trees in the way and i was planning on using the same antenna that u were in one of ur posts. also i have a 50 ft tower used back when sat tv was so high and was planing on using it to mount the antenna on i think i can get over the trees. what kind of base station would yawl recommend. i also have an old primestar sat that i thought about using. what kind of nic would yawl recommen so that i could hook up an antenna on there end.

pcman_03
09-10-2002, 11:07 PM
i am looking to spend about 2-300 on a base station.and and the same for the antenna and cable.

airspirit
09-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Are you talking about the 24dB parabolic antenna they have? That looks to be a nice piece of equipment. If it's just trees you have a good shot of doing it with an amplified (via antenna) signal. The tower would definitely help, though. Go with the Orinoco NICs w/ a pigtail adapter. It makes it easiest in the end, and there is alot of software that works with them.

pcman_03
09-11-2002, 04:35 PM
yea i really like the looks of the 24dB antenna to and the price dont look that bad either.

Buster
09-11-2002, 09:11 PM
At the very least I would use this access point:
http://www.orinocowireless.com/template.html?section=m59&page=129&envelope=95

and beleive it or not wet leaves are a bigger signal killer than a building