PDA

View Full Version : IT7 Max2 / P4 2.53 cooling problem

WhosYourPal
10-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Hello,

I just assembed my new rig which consists of an IT7 Max2 and a P4 2.53. I'm cooling it with a Swiftech MCX-478 HS mounted with an 80mm Thermoflow fan and Artic Silver 3. My problem is that my temps are jumping to 63-68C while sitting in the BIOS. I've also had what sound like alarms go off a couple of times when the temp is around the 68* area - so I'm thinking it's not just the temp probe on the Max2. I haven't even attempted to drop the OS yet.

I've reseated the HS a few times already - no luck. If I re-seat the MCX-478 again tonight, should I remove and re-applyt the Artic Silver 3? I have noticed that the Thermoflow fan is running at ~1450 rpm in the BIOS screen. Is it possible that a new fan would help to cool things down to a normal range? In my opinion, I need at least a 10 - 15* drop in temp. to run this rig.

Jason-Pro
10-08-2002, 11:11 AM
them temps are just fine for the pentium 4. but id suggest reseating your heatsink. and you could have to much as3 on. to much is not good. all you want is a paper thin layer and spread it evenly. also make sure you clamp it down good. (dont be afraid to cover the hole on the cpu with as3 either) you could run that thing w/o a heatsink if you wanted.

Brad
10-09-2002, 04:05 AM
does your heatsink actually feel warm to touch? if it does then I'd suggest you buy a more powerful fan. If it doesn't, check your mounting

WhosYourPal
10-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Yes, it was getting warm. I took the retail P4 fan and rigged it up to the heatsink to see if there was any difference. It kept it cooler - down around 50* and I was able to drop the OS. So I ordered a YS Tech 80mm Speed Controlled Fan which is 48.70 CFM / 3700 RPM / 39.5db. Hopefully, once it's mounted permanently, it will cool it a few more degrees. I'm also hoping the 50* is lower since Abit board's temp probe reports on the high side.

Thanks for the feedback!