PDA

View Full Version : Great new article from BillA.

morphling1
10-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Check it out:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles638/
Very good read indead, eye opener for some but unfortunatly probably just browse and forget for most.
Great work

pHaestus
10-18-2002, 09:03 AM
That's called "preaching to the choir". Good article though.

Bill: can I post a couple more pictures of your testbed? Or is that strict NDA info?

bigben2k
10-18-2002, 09:16 AM
Nice work indeed.

An early morning thought: could blocks be tested "in reverse"? I mean, what if we injected a hot liquid?

Need more coffee...

pHaestus
10-18-2002, 10:37 AM
Not sure that would be predictive of cooling performance for a small, dense, heat source. Also insulation and secondary losses would not be easy to handle.

BillA
10-22-2002, 01:39 AM
just stumbled across this thread
thanks for the nice words fellows
unfortunatly the more technical it becomes, the fewer that understand and/or have an interest

feel free pHaestus, that was last week - half of its different now
the Methodology article's close and I'll have some better close-ups in it

MadDogMe
10-22-2002, 06:32 AM
An early morning thought: could blocks be tested "in reverse"? I mean, what if we injected a hot liquid?
Need more coffee...
You take coffee intravenusly?!! :eek: ...

Throw that decaf away! :D...

g.l.amour
10-22-2002, 07:19 AM
hey, where there is a will there is a way. call meh crazy, but if i find a hobby, i like to know the ins and outs. sooo, in the beginning i won't understand alot. but the first time i looked at your graphs i thought: why doesn't he just say which is best? now i like the added info and the way one can interpret the data so it is right for the system one has in mind. wouldn't want to have it any other way, i'm happy there are ppl as crazy as 'monsieur Adams' that like to invest their time and effort in stuff they prolly hardly get payed for.

there u have it, thx alot for educating us as much as u can in the area of common interest.

bigben2k
10-22-2002, 09:15 AM
g.l.amour: if you still want to know "which is best", then you don't understand the purpose of all this testing.

Each block will perform differently under different circumstances. You could make all the blocks perform the same way, with different pumps/rads/tubing/etc...

The point is that there is no such thing as "the best block". There is however, a block that requires a minimal amount of external items (rad/pump) in order to achieve a very good performance. If you know how a block is able to perform, then you can select the rest of the components accordingly, and achieve exactly what you set out to do.

BillA
10-22-2002, 09:27 AM
"one can interpret the data so it is right for the system one has in mind"

hello Ben
is that not exactly what he said ?

g.l.amour
10-22-2002, 09:39 AM
to clear some things up, when i first started watercooling i liked watercooling articles such as [H]'s most. easy reading, no pre knowledge necessary, easy conclusion. i have progressed in liking the articles that billa puts out. so ben, u misunderstood.

anyway, what i was trying to say is this. the n00bs don't like bill a type articles; that is normal, for they do'nt understand half the words that are in them; and u get no clear 'conclusion' at the end.
my experience learns me that it takes almost a year of "constant" reading to start to understand what is said in those articles... so it takes some stubornness to want to understand all that technical talk.

BillA
10-22-2002, 09:56 AM
indeed g.l.amour,

it is the description that you just provided that is THE reason for which I,
and several other technically oriented writers (taking a bit of liberty in ascribing their motivations),
expend the (unpaid) effort to write these kinds of articles

be cool

MadDogMe
10-22-2002, 11:21 PM
It's also the truth, which is refreshing in this day and age. no more 'best block' depending on which manufacturer said they did'nt have to post it back :p. nice to see some unbiased pure information...

Now I just got to work out how to apply it all :) . It's about the whole system still,setting the right parts together. not just the block...

BillA!, is the rad Article at OC'ers.com up to date?, there seems to be some pages missing?, it's #'ed 1~8 but only six show up?...

BillA
10-22-2002, 11:26 PM
no idea
the original article (needing an updating), and the revised graphs, can be seen here (http://thermal-management-testing.com/)

pHaestus
10-23-2002, 12:01 AM
http://www.procooling.com/~phaestus/batest/benchchiller.jpg
Note the chiller outside

http://www.procooling.com/~phaestus/batest/benchlarge_s.jpg (http://www.procooling.com/~phaestus/batest/benchlarge.jpg)

Click for larger pic

MadDogMe
10-23-2002, 12:33 AM
U Crazy Bastid! :D...
Where did you get that magnifieing glass on a deely bopper?...my god!, it's got a light on it too :eek: . damn I want one of those:( ...

Puzzdre
10-23-2002, 05:16 PM
I've seen something like that before...people called alchemists had it...:D

:p ;)

(not the magnifying glass, but stuff from the pics):)

Blackeagle
10-23-2002, 05:41 PM
BillA,

For what it may be worth to you. I come here to read your, and other, highly teck. peoples descriptions and explainations of how/why water systems work as they do in differantly set up systems. I don't post very much, but read a lot, almost every day. Many thanks to you and those others who have helped me learn more.

I'm going to build a water cooled system as soon as I have more money, my first. But I'll surely post here my ideas, for yours and everyone else thoughts, before I buy anything.

BillA
10-23-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Puzzdre
I've seen something like that before...people called alchemists had it...:D

:p ;) . . . .

unfortunatly, despite my very best efforts, my system turns gold into dross

MadDogMe
10-24-2002, 03:13 AM
I'm having troubles getting that link to work, tis strange, whenever you post a graph on anysite I've seen one there's always just a white box with a X in the corner :shrug: , anywhere else I could see it?...

BillA
10-24-2002, 07:57 AM
to which link/image do you refer ?
Les from the UK has similar problems, seem to be related to his ISP and timing out
and my hosting co is terrible as well, presently looking for another cheap one

Les
10-24-2002, 08:25 AM
MadDogMe
I use "blueyonder" dial-up.
Get red cross when using local dial-up number.
Using "Inner London" dial-up number works fine for Billa's images.
However have to use "local" for some on-line calculators.
Possibly cache or catch22

MadDogMe
10-24-2002, 10:59 AM
http: //thermal-management-testing.com/

That link, it does'nt matter what site I see a graph on it's always the same!:( . I have dial up, I think it's one of the Tiscali mutants, simular free number to alot of others, though I'm with a ISP called surfanytime.co.uk, it's a 24/7 jobbie so I can't change the #. it's probly due to the time out like you say. damn shame though old chap, interested I am...