PDA

View Full Version : Lian-Li Fan Speed Adjuster Questions

Chez
11-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Does anybody know what voltages are applied to the fans at the different settings on the Lian-Li fan speed adjuster on the front of th PC-65 Case??

I have taken the 2 fans which were connected to it off and connected them to my MB fan headers (I always ran them at full speed anyway).

I then put the 120mm YS-Tech fan (attached to my WC radiator) onto the adjuster on it's own so that I can hear myself think!!! It's a damn sight quieter now on the middle setting.

What I'm basically getting at is this - My fan is rated at 125CFM and 45dB(A) at 12v. What sort of CFM, dB(A) and Voltage is it likely to drop to on the middle setting of the Lian-Li controller??

Thanks
Chez

pHaestus
11-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Doesn't the Lian Li fan adjuster work by having a couple of resistors there? The voltage your fan gets would (I think) be a function of the A it draws and can be solved from Ohm's Law.

Or so I have heard. I bet someone will drop in here soon with a link to how to determine the resistor rating by the lines that are on it :)

snowwie
03-01-2003, 11:11 PM
http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~bsprunt/classes/references/resistor_values/resistor.htm

I think that the middle one is 18 ohms

so...and someone please tell me i'm wrong if I am, as this is from what I remember from tenth grade physics...

The YS tech fan I think you are referring to consumes 7.92 watts, or at least that's the one that I have

that's .66 amps

and that's 18.18 ohms-and that's what matters

remember that the resistor is in series, so the ratio 18.18 ohms:18 ohms and a proportional ratio for voltage is the same.

that is: 6.03v:5.97v, that is 6.03v for the ystech fan

That is how I calculated it for my fans. I forget what the low setting resistor is, because the fans I hooked up to it drew too much power for them to work.

You must remember that without the voltage regulator like most fan controllers have, the voltage output depend on how much current you fans use. More current is less voltage, and vice versa