PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my Super Orb off

Sheldon MG
02-23-2001, 07:47 PM
I think that I want to put a Volcano 2 on my 1.2 Ghz athlon but I already have a super orb on it with thermal paste. I do not even think the lever to release the cpu will get around the orb what can I do?

thomas_se
03-29-2001, 12:22 AM
Huh? Just take the damn orb off!
:)
What are you trying to do?
It seems that you're trying to take the CPU out of the socket?

Joe
03-29-2001, 09:32 AM
hehehe

yeh you need to take the orb off before trying to take the CPU out :)

if you are worried about cracking the core when you remove it, then just make sure to hold it steady while you do it. ( the Orb)

p[ara]d0x
04-14-2001, 07:22 PM
Heh, yeah you need to take the Orb off first. Getting the HSF off is kinda tricky. There is always a risk for crushing the core. If you can't easily get it off with your fingers push down on the clip just enough for it to move below the little thing sticking out of the socket then wedge a screwdriver behind it and release. I did this when replacing my CoolerMaster with the Volcano II.

iceheart
04-15-2001, 08:12 AM
Just use a big sledgehammer from the side.

Kevin
04-15-2001, 07:44 PM
The best way to do it is to just grab the orb and pull very hard so it just flies right off. Then you'll be lacking socket lugs so you can just go to 4 hole watercooling.

gabedibble
05-09-2001, 07:15 PM
MC Sheldon,

Seriously...
Those Tt orbs are hard to take off. I really thought I was going to destroy my Tbird as well, but in the end it didn't turn out bad at all.
(1) Slide the MB tray out so you have 110.232% access to the mofo. (if your tray doesn't slide out of your case, take the MB out.)
(2) Use a Screwdriver and Needlenose pliers and "hold it steady" (as wise-Joe pointed out - duh ;) )

You really shouldn't have problem if you're careful - thus, don't do it high or something... LOL :D