PDA

View Full Version : P4 Northwood overclock: good or not?

bigben2k
12-04-2002, 10:13 AM
A news bit from OC:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115166

Opinions?

dax
12-04-2002, 10:17 AM
if you overvolt your cpu, and it craps on you, you shouldn't be suprised. the thing was designed for a specific voltage, no more no less, it might work, but if it doesn't, don't complain. If you don't want to take the risk, then keep it on stock voltage.

g.l.amour
12-04-2002, 10:18 AM
makes me less sad about all the athlons i fux0red and keep buying ;)

there is one valid point in there somewhere about someone questioning the methodology of oc'ing some of those guys are using. hearing that intel is piece of cake to OC on air some of those ppl are using stock fans with some crazy voltages. without testing or using little steps...

currently my system is running as i like with a mobo swap. took me 4days to hit a sweatspot of fsb, vcore, memcore, agpcore...

dax
12-04-2002, 10:21 AM
yea stock cooling + high voltages = no good... ah... the n00b way of overclocking :shrug:

pHaestus
12-04-2002, 10:49 AM
ya when you see the vapochill guys running 2V on the NWs with no deaths or issues, I think it points to cooling (or motherboard issues) as well.

Are we not giving as much help to newcomers to overclocking as we used to? I seem to recall people way back in dark ages suggesting "add a fan" to my Pentium1 system's heatsink to aid in overclock. Now we just tell em "add voltage"?

Also kinda ironic that AMD users buy a $50 CPU and a $40 heatsink to match cause everyone KNOWS they burn up. Intel users buy $200 CPU and a $5 heatsink, and wonder what happened....

g.l.amour
12-04-2002, 10:58 AM
i don't hang around in the aircooling corner alot. but i thk when ppl have found the way to these boards they are already cooling freaks. most ppl in the watercooling parts consider it nasty to have more than 40°C die temp :D

bigben2k
12-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by g.l.amour
makes me less sad about all the athlons i fux0red and keep buying ;)

there is one valid point in there somewhere about someone questioning the methodology of oc'ing some of those guys are using. hearing that intel is piece of cake to OC on air some of those ppl are using stock fans with some crazy voltages. without testing or using little steps...

currently my system is running as i like with a mobo swap. took me 4days to hit a sweatspot of fsb, vcore, memcore, agpcore...
I caught that.

It was a reference to the wide gap between idle and load temps, and the fella pointed out that a 12 deg C gap is too much.

Did I miss something? I mean, I can understand that, but is a 12 deg C gap really too much?

Joe
12-04-2002, 12:48 PM
that "hipro5" guy in the thread is on crack.

As pH said, people have long run their CPU's below 5C and over 2V and have much CPU love still.

Below 5C is dangerous... HAHAHA well at 2v above 5C is dangerous :rolleyes:

Joe
12-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dax
yea stock cooling + high voltages = no good... ah... the n00b way of overclocking :shrug:

and the "pissed at intel for making a shitty CPU that dies all the time" way of overclocking.. Cause you know... those kiddies would never take the responsability for fryin the chip... its all the chip and intels fault...

thinking these kids shouldnt use anything below .25 um :) seems .13 is just too fragile :)

pHaestus
12-04-2002, 02:28 PM
Ya they need some more PPGA celeron loving I think Joe. No crushed cores and lots of voltage allowed. Or maybe they need AMD to make a K6-4? :)

Joe
12-04-2002, 03:39 PM
heheh PPGA Celerons.. the Duplo blocks of CPU's :) big, sturdy, and not so prone to frying :)

Better yet... a P-60... you know.. something with a 5V Vcore :)

DarkEdge
12-04-2002, 04:49 PM
I ran my 2.26 at stock speeds for a month. I had it folding 24/7 and doing prime95. I made sure there was nothing wrong with it. I've now have it clocked at 3gig. If it dies, i'll just get a new one. Atleast I will know it was me and not the chip.

pHaestus
12-04-2002, 06:15 PM
The theory that CPUs from Intel simply can't safely run at high o/cs is silly. Intel themselves sells a 1.525V 3.06GHz chip. If you can get up to that MHz with similar voltage then no worries. The ONLY way that is likely to happen, though, is serious cooling...