PDA

View Full Version : Clean your waterblock!

bigben2k
12-12-2002, 04:19 PM
As featured on OC here (http://www.overclockers.com/tips00220/)

I'm bookmarking this, so if you're a noob, bookmark it too, 'cause now everyone knows!

In short, to clean a copper block, you can use ketchup, vinegar, salt, flour, toothpaste, ...

Personally, I don't think this is very thought out: We don't want acids to clean the inside of a waterblock, because it may cause pits in the copper, which would trap water, and lower the efficiency. However...

If we load up a rig with water, keep the pump running, THEN add the acid, it might change the pitting into scarring, which would be favorable to cooling (at a very small scale, but it's there).

The question then would be: how do you dump the acid without stopping the pump? We could neutralize the acid with baking soda. (now if you were a tinkerer as a kid, like me, you know what happens when vinegar is mixed with baking soda: it foams up!).

This is going to require more thought.

lukasz70
12-12-2002, 11:37 PM
all you need is COKE!!!

i' claned my block a few days ago using coca cola, dipped it in for a few minutes and it came out like new. as for the inside, u guess you would need to disconnect the hoses, and take the block off.

msv
12-13-2002, 12:54 AM
I had to check this one in a dictionary: Rhubarb.
Again, like ketchup or lemons, it works with natural acids, and removes oxide from copper like magic.
Of course, it´s even easier to just leave the block in a bowl of Coke and rinse it afterwards, rhubarb takes a bit of elbow grease.
regards
Mikael S.

bigben2k
12-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

If we let the acid sit still, this may happen (see pic).

If however the pump is running, then the acid should make long streaks (good), instead of pits (bad).

MadDogMe
12-14-2002, 05:44 AM
It's such a small thing I doubt it'd make any measurable difference, would'nt it be better to have a non tarnished(pitted) surface than a tarnish(non pitted) surface performance wise?, I know a non tarnished non pitted one would be better but to what degree?, how much work for how much(little?) gain?...

The amount of water it would 'trap' is tiny no?, and would'nt the added surface area cancell any negatives out?...

bigben2k
12-16-2002, 10:13 AM
I dunno... I'll have to test it sometime.

Brad
12-17-2002, 02:01 AM
doesn't HNO3 have no reaction with copper? or is there another acid I'm thinking about?

something to do with copper being such a nonreactive metal, and HNO3 not chemically being able to do it

MadDogMe
12-17-2002, 03:27 AM
It needs to react to clean it no?...

mrmoustache
12-17-2002, 05:12 AM
it needs to react with whatever you're cleaning off of it to clean whatever you're cleaning off of it.