PDA

View Full Version : Iceberg Kit Review at amdmb.com.

jaydee
01-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Hummm....

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=218

I am honestly not sure what to say here. I respect Stan and he has had some serious personal problems lately. :(

So with that said I do not want anyone to be in flame mode! I would rather hear constructive critisizm.

And here is mine,

I thought it was decent up till the "Performance and Testing" part. I maybe mistaken but it seems to me the best water blocks out there cannot achive a 9C load over ambient temp with a Xp1600+@1400mhz 1.85vcore? That is pretty amazing if it is correct. And where is the testing method info? Using a modded board for testing?

MHz of XP1600 CPU Cº Ambient ºC VCore Delta ºC
1800---------------37------------22.0---------1.90---------15
1750---------------35------------22.0---------1.85---------13
1400---------------31------------22.0---------1.85--------- 9

Once again please do not make any smart ass flames. Keep it civil and point out the problems in a orderly manner.

Thanks.

bigben2k
01-09-2003, 04:34 PM
I found many other reviews, simply by googling.

If we're going to "constructively" comment on the review... I'd have to say that it lacks some information:

Where's the pic of the so called pitted block? The pic shown is from the Ahanix website (as most of the pics appear to be).

"The rad housing is thermoplastic." Yeah, that's what the website says. What info is NOT on the website, about the parts?

There's a reference to a brass barb with the pump, which is not included: so where did it come from? What about galvanic corrosion?

"Water jacket A 95% Al, 5% Cu Alloy is used ...", Is that a typo? What does it mean?

"The temperatures were taken at the CPU core by a digital doctor 5". Ok, so we don't know what to expect, we have a general idea that, the hotter you run your CPU, the hotter it will get: no news there! More accurate measurement would be needed.

"Since this motherboard has a voltage mod done to it I could not get the default 1.75vcore for the default speed test ...". this might have been good reference data, if it wasn't for the temp measurement method.

"Surprisingly enough as I began testing the limits of this setup I found I was able to get an xp1600@1800 MHz 1.9vcore for a day before a crash would occur. At 1750 MHz under full load it was rock solid stable for days without crashing. ". That is not useful information. If anything, it indicates a good overclocking CPU.

All in all, this review looks like it was slapped together real quick. It doesn't provide any usefull info, at least none that the Ahanix website already provides.

pHaestus
01-09-2003, 04:48 PM
The temperature measurement is mentioned as follows:

"The temperatures were taken at the CPU core by a digital doctor 5."

GIGO (anyone old enough to remember that one?)

No mention of how CPU load is accomplished either; can see some pretty serious deviations between say folding or Seti and K7Burn high priority...

Joe
01-09-2003, 05:28 PM
GIGO - Garbage In/Garbage Out

do I get a gold star now?

Puzzdre
01-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Nope, we'll have to share...I'm old enough to remember WYSIWYG and GIGO...:p

Not necessarily everything WYSIWYG is GIGO...;)

pHaestus
01-09-2003, 05:42 PM
you already have peanut butter on your balls; that trumps any gold star :)

jaydee
01-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by pHaestus
The temperature measurement is mentioned as follows:

"The temperatures were taken at the CPU core by a digital doctor 5."

Yeah, seen that, but it would be nice to see some pics of how it was installed on the CPU. With those temps it might have fallen off? Am I wrong to think those temps are way out of line? Last time I had temps close to those Delta's was with a Duron 600@500 1.5vcore.