PDA

View Full Version : Externalizing PS

Nate Bray-Marks
01-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Are there any kits out there to make your powersupply external.
Kind of wondering since that would reduce the awount of internal heat some.

joemac
01-12-2003, 05:52 PM
I have seen extension cables if that is what you mean..

bikr
01-12-2003, 07:20 PM
basically all you would have to do is mount it outside with screws going from the inside of the case to the psu , and turn the guts around really.. easier , you could probably just drill into the backside of the psu and thread the screws right in.. but either way screw heads = inside case now. =)

Nate Bray-Marks
01-12-2003, 08:00 PM
I was hoping there was a company out there that made a small external case for the PSU to keep things clean. That and a jumper short jumper cable to go from PSU case to computer case

joemac
01-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Nate Bray-Marks
I was hoping there was a company out there that made a small external case for the PSU to keep things clean. That and a jumper short jumper cable to go from PSU case to computer case

Are you thinking about moving the electronic inside the PSU ?
Any sensible company would stay away from such a thing. There is too much liability involved with a PSU due to the high voltage within. I still say look for an extension cable for the PSU it is fast easy and safe.

bigben2k
01-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Why don't you just paint the darn thing, and slap some rubber feet on it:D

Nate Bray-Marks
01-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Allow me to further elaborate. By an external case I ment a small box of some kind that the PS is placed into un-modified from an existing computer with openings for the power wires to pass through. But Ido like the idea of painting the PS and putting feet on it.

joemac
01-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by bigben2k
Why don't you just paint the darn thing, and slap some rubber feet on it

I like that idea too. What about adding eyes and ears to make it look like ... well a mouse ;)

bigben2k
01-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Nate Bray-Marks
Allow me to further elaborate. By an external case I ment a small box of some kind that the PS is placed into un-modified from an existing computer with openings for the power wires to pass through. But Ido like the idea of painting the PS and putting feet on it.
I seriously doubt that you'll find such a product because a) the PSU is spec'ed for an ATX compliant enclosure, which includes ventilation and b) because 99.9% of PSU have a back power connector, and a front set of power cables, which would really make a mess of things unless you have a hole in the top/middle of your case.

The only thing to worry about, when externalizing the PSU is the whole grounding question: to ground, or not to ground...

Take your PSU and a voltmeter: if the PSU case is grounded (i.e. contact between middle power pin and PSU case), then you might opt to ground the case as well, which means running a grounding wire from the PSU case to the computer case (they must be bolted).

I mention this because if the PSU case is indeed grounded, you might get an intermittent ground within the PC case, if at all, and that's never good (hence the rubber feet).

Have you considered modding the PSU into a half height unit, and slipping it into a drive bay?