PDA

View Full Version : OCPC Atlantis tested

pHaestus
01-13-2003, 11:08 PM
by Bill:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles683

Pretty but not the performance king for sure....

Danger-Darryn
01-14-2003, 04:31 PM
BUGGER :( I'll have to do some digging to compare the results for this block against the Maze3 etc. (Assuming the are compairable?)

Any words from Jess???

pHaestus
01-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Don't despair. Remember that there is a finite amount of head available to a wb, and that the number is pretty low for "hobby pumps". Now, looking at the C/W vs head loss graph, it seems that the Atlantis should be a relatively "high flow" wb, so perhaps its performance in a complete system will be similar to more restrictive blocks with a hobby type pump. Whether this is a reasonable strategy to "the ultimate wc setup" I cannot say. In practical terms though it means no more than a few C; buy what you like but try to mate wb, pump, tubing, and rad as well as you can.

I hope that makes sense. I have a bad cold and have been in the lab messing with experiments all day so I am about braindead.

Blackeagle
01-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Reading the Atlantis test made me remember the earlier article on WB testing that BillA did a little while back. In that article he changed the inlet size only on a water block and improved it's preformance. The chage he made was from 1/2" to one of 3/8" I think. I wonder how much of a boost the Atlantis would get if you changed the inlet barb to a 3/8" instead of it's large one it now has. A low cost improvement to a nice block. Perhaps a custom made barb that had a 10mm+ID size as the water comes into the barb but a short reduced area just before discharge. This would give a increase in the velocity of the flow while not restricting flow more than needed to gain the velocity increase. It would be interesting to see the results of such a test.

Anyone have a Atlantis they'd like to play with?????????

Danger-Darryn
01-14-2003, 05:15 PM
This sound like something Jess would have aleady played with if you ask me. I've asked him on Coolhardware forums if the bigger O-rings will be available?

As has been stated on Coolhardware, these tests are of the new varity with no lapping of the blocks etc. It will be interesting to see who is next to over a block up to BillA other than Cather, but I'm not so sure the "big boys" will be so forthcomming in handing their's over.

The block, we knew, would performed good but thats not the only reason I got it. Jess has come up with an origonal design commercialy from the UK. Water cooling in the UK generaly is low in demand and interest IMO and probably because most things are imported, I don't want to be importing DD, Swifty etc..... equipment because every other bloke is using it. I hope this block put him on the map properly, he's got alot of good ideas and I hope they manage to get into production.

Up the UK WC massive!!! :evilaugh:

Blackeagle
01-14-2003, 06:54 PM
I went to the overclockers site and reread much of that article on water block testing. And if you go and look you'll find that the block BillA changed the inlet barb on for improved performance was in fact one of the big boys blocks, a swifty. The graphs #4-6 show the results gianed by the change of the inlet barb. If Swiftech hadn't thought of it as large as a outfit as they are, why be so sure that Jess has? I remember being surprised at the time I first read it, as most of what you read tells you larger lines and higher volume of flow are better. That article showed me several things, that is why I remembered it well. It taught me that velocity, not volume is what matters most. Cathar's block is a prime example of that.

Was trying to offer a helpful thought DD, sorry it seems to have POed you. And good for you for supporting your home boy's block.

Danger-Darryn
01-14-2003, 07:05 PM
Sorry, I'm just tired and ratty. I was hoping for better results from BillA, but until more blocks are tested we have little to compare it against (again, assumming that the old data is not compairable) Anyhow, to anyone has a query about the about O-rings, get in contact with Jess, I have had no problems at all with mine over 1 month now. I've also sent a message asking Jess if he's tried altering the inlet, will check back tomorrow.

Must go, eyelids are touching the spacebar.

utabintarbo
01-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Danger-Darryn

The block, we knew, would performed good but thats not the only reason I got it. Jess has come up with an origonal design commercialy from the UK. Water cooling in the UK generaly is low in demand and interest IMO and probably because most things are imported, I don't want to be importing DD, Swifty etc..... equipment because every other bloke is using it. I hope this block put him on the map properly, he's got alot of good ideas and I hope they manage to get into production.

Up the UK WC massive!!! :evilaugh:

Water block chauvinism?!?:eek: :rolleyes:

gone_fishin
01-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by utabintarbo
Water block chauvinism?!?:eek: :rolleyes:

Lol, more like waterblock patriotism.:D

Seal
02-04-2003, 11:24 AM
I have atlantis! Its well cool... im bit dissapointed with his test though as i was expecting a lot better performance. I'm sure i've read a review somewhere on the net about the atlantis rev 3 easily beating the maze 3.

Ah well i like it neway which is what counts i spose. In my system my CPU temps are around 3-5 deg C above water temp which dosent seem bad at all to me.

jaydee
02-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Seal
my CPU temps are around 3-5 deg C above water temp which dosent seem bad at all to me.
Idel temps? or you running a Duron 600@500 1.5Vcore?

Seal
02-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Im running xp2200+ (1.8Ghz) at stock speeds and voltages. Well 11x166MHz= 1824MHz. 100% stable.

Idle temp depends on what speed setting i set my radiator fan on with my rheo. At the moment idle:

Rad fan voltage: 5.4V
Ambient: 19 deg C
Water: 32 deg C
Processor: 37 deg C

Seal