PDA

View Full Version : Joe Luck Strikes again...

Joe
01-19-2003, 06:11 PM
The reviews are on hold for a few days.... Today I almost died on a lake .... my car went through the ice ( in a spot that was much softer than the rest of the lake) , and went into submarine mode... The cars totalled and if it wasnt for a coworker/friend of mine I may not have gotten pulled from the water as fast as I did. He was also in the car but was able to bail faster ( I had a seatbelt on he didnt) . Was one of the most dangerous situations I have been in. Swimming in broken ice water in sub 6Deg F weather with a 10+Mph wind and not being able to get out of the hole.

Pics will come up when someone gets them posted... I personally need a day to recover and figure out what the deal is with the car... The cars been totaled, but need to find out what s going to happen with insurance.

Just happy to still be around right now.

Needless to say I will never be driving on a lake again... frozen.. (or not :p).

( theres a pic of the car in the lake later in this thread now)

jaydee
01-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Not quite the extream water cooling we want to hear about! Glad you made it out ok. We do some Ice fishing up here now and then and I hear horror stories of lost cars, trucks, ATV's, and sometimes people.

Buster
01-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Glad to hear you made it out Joe. I'll tell you what man, I've been upside down at 100+ MPH in a race car, but that would scare the shit outta me. Water, freezing, belted in... no thanks....

scott

BrianW
01-19-2003, 10:24 PM
I am so glad for you Joe.

Brian

gogo
01-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Glad you're ok.
The site just wouldn't be the same without you.:)

Falling in Ice covered water sucks. I fell through the Rouge river in Detroit once. It wasn't over my head or in a car though.

Joe
01-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Thx fer the words!

Yes ice water sucks most any time :)

The Spyder
01-20-2003, 01:01 AM
oh man, you were lucky! Glad your alright~

g.l.amour
01-20-2003, 03:07 AM
you're alive dude...

makes one notice how fragile we all are

PlawsWorth
01-20-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Joe
The reviews are on hold for a few days.... Today I almost died on a lake .... my car went through the ice ( in a spot that was much softer than the rest of the lake) , and went into submarine mode... The cars totalled and if it wasnt for a coworker/friend of mine I may not have gotten pulled from the water as fast as I did. He was also in the car but was able to bail faster ( I had a seatbelt on he didnt) . Was one of the most dangerous situations I have been in. Swimming in broken ice water in sub 6Deg F weather with a 10+Mph wind and not being able to get out of the hole.

Pics will come up when someone gets them posted... I personally need a day to recover and figure out what the deal is with the car... The cars been totaled, but need to find out what s going to happen with insurance.

Just happy to still be around right now.

Needless to say I will never be driving on a lake again... frozen.. (or not :p).

I fell in to a lake with my best friends sister when I was like 6years old, don't know how I managed to get up and how I managed to pull her up. But one thing is for shure, I'll never walk on a frozen lake and the feeling of walking through 40" snow when you are 50" tall isn't fun :)

BaconGrease
01-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Good Heavens!
Great to hear you and your friend made it out, sorry to hear about the car.
Pretty scary stuff.

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Nice to hear you made it...

Now of course the question is: how did you end up in that situation? Isn't the race site managed by anyone?

Joe
01-20-2003, 11:16 AM
http://www.cs.uic.edu/~tkriza/clegg_underwater2.jpg

zoson
01-20-2003, 11:22 AM
You shoulda peed in the water joe! It makes it nice and warm. mmmm ;)
I'm glad you're alright man.
-Zoson

redleader
01-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Shit Joe you have really bad luck. If it were anyone else I'd say stay away from cars and water :)

Any chance you'd be able to get a winch and haul it out of there?

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 02:28 PM
You weren't racing, were you...

We used to drive over a river, up here in Canada, on our way to see family members. It's a bit colder, in Canada... but there were many local stories about snowmobiles facing the same faith.

We always made it through.

If I remember correctly, you need at least 12 inches of ice, to support a car (or was it 4 feet?). 4 inches supports a man, theoretically...

xerka
01-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow that had to be scarry. Thats good it didnt go much further in the ice. Would you mind telling us the story?

Joe
01-20-2003, 02:54 PM
http://www.rafal.com/slizganie.htm theres a page with more pics

and if you want the full story, to save me from typing it twice check this thread.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=303486

I am "Clegg" in that thread.

nicozeg
01-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Wow, strange parking place you choose!

I'm glad to hear that nothing bad happened to you.

It reminded me a friend with his new jeep wrangler: He ride to the end of a beach and stayed in the rocks a couple hours with his girlfriend. When he wanted to come back discovered that the rising tide has closed the exit. He had to wait in the place only to see the waves getting closer, until they smashed the car against the rocks during the night. The sad end was that the insurance didn’t cover off road situations.

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 03:21 PM
This one says a lot:
http://home.attbi.com/~mgnficnt1/subrarine.jpg

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 03:32 PM
This one says the rest:

(Damn lucky Joe, DAMN lucky!!!)
http://www.rafal.com/images/slizganie/DSCN5529.JPG

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 03:35 PM
This one would show how it was pulled out?:
(Note that the tractor wheels are useless; this is strictly a pull, hold, twist, release, repeat operation!)
http://www.rafal.com/images/slizganie/DSCN5543.JPG

Joe
01-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeh they used a couple 6000lbs rated come-alongs to pull it up, it worked rather well. At one point it did end up much lower in the water because of a slip by the tractor. Also the geek in the Purple/green jacket with the blue hat is me.

joemac
01-20-2003, 05:38 PM
WOW Thats CRAZY !!! Now you know what some of our supercooled CPU feel.. Were you more over clockable at colder temps LOL. How did you get out WOW....

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 06:28 PM
There's no rescue operation for crashed/burned watercooled CPUs...

Blackeagle
01-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Glad to hear you are OK Joe. That water hits you it almost stops your breathing don't it? Been there (differant method = duck hunter), not good.

I hope your insurance rules or state laws are differant than here. In MI. when your cars on the lake, it's uninsured.:( Worse the Mi. DNR guys have no sense of humor about it, tickets issued to add insult to injury.:cry: :cry:

bigben2k
01-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Some states (or is it insurance companies...) don't allow you to buy the wreck back (but you can always ask a buddy!).

lukasz70
01-20-2003, 07:50 PM
poor WRX, it is a WRX, right? cause that is a real shame. :eek:

glad you made it out
and hopefully the insurance comes through, cause you were racing.

here's a thought, LIE to them, tell them you went ice fishing for the first time :D

Joe
01-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Yes its covered by insurance and yes I am buying it back. I get the prices from them tomorrow for both.

dacooltech
01-20-2003, 08:38 PM
:eek: :shrug:
i'm glad nothing bad happened to you Joe :)

I thought you got tired of doing tests with heatsinks and decided to do some Xtreme ice cold water-cooling to your new Aopen + P4 combo ;)

bikr
01-20-2003, 09:27 PM
glad to hear you're alright Joe , but omfg , is that a can of mountain dew? in the cup holder? please tell me you saved it I'll buy it from you =)

http://www.rafal.com/images/slizganie/DSCN5528.JPG

joemac
01-20-2003, 09:48 PM
I am sorry joe - What where you doing on the lake ?? Racing.. isn't it better to race on dry land ?? BTW can we get videos of the next lake race ;)

Hallis
01-21-2003, 07:30 AM
Well, Thank god for small miracles. you and your friend making it out. if the car would have gone in sideways it might have ended up on its top. Looks like its going to be a total write-off, was the in-car camera rig present or was that safe on dry land?

Tyfoid
01-21-2003, 06:36 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask him what the hell he was doing on a lake in a car... come on now if you take your life in to your own hands like that stuff is bound to happen! Haven't ya heard of Murpheys Law?

xerka
01-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Joe was racing and usually its not too dangerous if the ice is thick enough. As joe said above

http://www.rafal.com/slizganie.htm theres a page with more pics

and if you want the full story, to save me from typing it twice check this thread.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=303486

I am "Clegg" in that thread.

LiquidRulez
02-13-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Joe
. Also the geek in the Purple/green jacket with the blue hat is me.

You mean that guy with the pee stain on his pants??

wannabe
02-25-2003, 01:09 PM
If there was a race... Did u win?:dome: Glad to hear that you're allright.

Joe
02-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Yep I won, I was the first to go under the ice! secretly thats the true race at any Ice race! so I won.. I won it all baby!!! hehehe

wannabe
02-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Joe
Yep I won, I was the first to go under the ice! secretly thats the true race at any Ice race! so I won.. I won it all baby!!! hehehe

;) Credz! :D