PDA

View Full Version : Processor heat issues

cybrsamurai
01-21-2003, 01:57 AM
Ok this is a sorta strange one... I have an Abit KX7-333R and a XP2100+ This system is cooled with a generic copper thinfin heat sink and 35mm fan. I hate really loud fans so Im using a 4800RPM. My problem is just recently my cpu temps started reaching around 180 doing random stuff. I have checked my fan RPM and it hasnt changed. Basically im going to have to underclock this thing to about 1300 and drop the voltage to get it to run at a normal temp (130). My question is what do you think is causing this temp difference. And suggestions for correcting

The ambient temp hasnt changed much. Fan RPM speeds seem fine, I just cleaned off the heat sink .

I do have enough to watercool this thing but seems like it might be easier to just buy a thouroghbred.

Aardil
01-21-2003, 06:42 AM
WOW thats HOT!!!
Not trying to to make you feel bad or dumb.
Any time I have had an Abit read over 130 it was the cooler block not seated correctly. I assume you are useing a goop of some type not the Tape. If you are useing the tape scrape it off and use regular thermal goop. Another thing you might check is the clamp I did have one that was twisted, and it gave me fits. after a long battle of remove , tweak, reinstall an new block and hold down would have been cheaper if time is money to you. If you are useing a shim try it without the shim, I tried one once and got hi temps, removing the shim solved the problem.
Just a few Ideas from someone who has had his share of Heat problems with A bit and AMD chips.
So what it really boils down to is , the heat sink must be seated wrong.
Hope this helped
Aardil

Aardil
01-21-2003, 06:47 AM
one further note I just built a 1700+ useing an A Bit board, Cooler master HCC-002 heat sink and changed the fan to a 4800 RPM generic fan 60mm, Temps 111. with the 7000 fan the temp was 109

cybrsamurai
01-21-2003, 11:12 AM
I would agree with your hypothesis except the heatsink is really really hot! Ill try remounting it and using some new AS and hope.

bigben2k
01-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Strangely enough, the heat is a good indication: the heat is being transfered properly, you shouldn't need to remount it. The problem is your cooling solution: it's not working.

This is usually because there's something blocking the airflow, or the HSF has been modded in some way, or by design.

#1- check for dust. Clean it.

#2- make sure the airflow is in the right direction: sometimes a reversed airflow will have a good effect, sometimes it makes things worse. Also, many people do the duct mod, by which a fan (sometimes the same fan) blows in fresh air from the side of the case.

#3- if that's your case, we would strongly suggest a replacement, because 180 deg F would significantly reduce the life of your CPU. We'll be more than happy to recomend a good HSF (so would Dan, at Dansdata.com).

jtroutma
01-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Also, if you know that you have good ventilation in your case and you are realy conserned about noise, you can always get a adapter and run an 80/92mm fan on a 60mm heatsink.

I did that to a Duron where I was going for COMPLETE silence; replace the 60x20mm fan on a CoolerMaster heatsink with a Vantec Stealth 80mm fan and an 80mm to 60mm adapter. Worked great! If you use a decent 80mm fan, it will still be quite and provide a LOT more air circulation for that setup.

Again make sure taht the block is on securely and you have adequete airflow in your case.

BTW you can always go to watercooling like I did :D

krazy
03-21-2003, 04:17 AM
it sounds like you aren't getting enough airflow through the case in general. what do you have for case fans? I run two blowing in, two blowing out, a slot cooler, and the PS fan. Using a thermaltake 6cu+ (60mm, 7000rpm) I run at about 125 degrees most of the time. when I was in a different dorm room and my box sat right under the window, I could open it a few inches and my temps would drop to about 60 degrees F.

my suggestions:
Try making sure you have plenty of fresh air entering the case and just as much leaving. make sure the room the system is in isn't too hot. 68 degrees or lower should give you good temps.