PDA

View Full Version : pH's Shows you how to get the most outta that pump!

Joe
01-24-2003, 10:59 PM
pH ventures into a nice informative article to put you all in the know on how to cheaply and effectively increase flow rates! He covers a few different areas of the topic, and gives some examples of how he worked this problem out on his rig.

Definitely worth a read for all you watercoolers who need more flow! (http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/maximizing_flow_rates_with_h2o.php)

BillA
01-25-2003, 11:24 AM
difficult to conceive of a WCer who is not interested in more flow,
particularly when such can be obtained 'simply' by means of configuration (rather than a larger pump)

my vote for the best article on WCing this site has had
go ahead Joe, give the poor devil his own parking space

g.l.amour
01-25-2003, 12:23 PM
thumbs up ppl!!!

i wouldn't say the best article, but certainly good in the sense that it makes clear that an efficient setup can look very tidy too.

ok one might not see alot of temp decrease. but knowing that you just made your loop more effective is always kool. the pump used might make less vibrating noise etc.

what i would have liked to know is: if u use a tube for bend, that is most efficient because radius is much larger than 90° bend. how is that compensated by the much smaller tubelength for a 90° against lets say 4inches of tubing to make the same bend?

Since87
01-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by g.l.amour
what i would have liked to know is: if u use a tube for bend, that is most efficient because radius is much larger than 90° bend. how is that compensated by the much smaller tubelength for a 90° against lets say 4inches of tubing to make the same bend?

I'm not sure why the tubing would be longer with a bent tube, than with a 90 degree fitting with two straight tubes connected.

Can you draw a picture of such a situation?

pHaestus
01-25-2003, 02:37 PM
He means instead of using a connector if he used a gradual bend in the tubing, I think. This is a good question, the answer is certainly of some use.

Crane 410 also has this information for 90 degree bends in pipe. It lists the K coefficient as a function of r/d, where r is the radius of the bend and d is the inside diameter. Optimal r/d is 2-3, which gives K=12f. For large bend radius (r/d = 4-20) the K coefficient begins to rise again. I am assuming that this is because the total length of pipe that the water has to travel through increases markedly which makes for head loss. So for 1/2" ID pipe, the optimal bend radius would be 1" to 1.5". Since this is for a 90 degree bend, the optimal length of 1/2" tubing to make a 90 degree bend would be pi*r/2 = 1.57 to 2.36". I can add the full table and a figure to this article explaining this a bit better this evening. The take home message would be that an optimal 90 degree bend in hose would be about as restrictive as a 45 degree sweep fitting.

g.l.amour
01-25-2003, 03:00 PM
indeed that is what i meant. if your calculations are right, one could always use tygon or si tubing for relatively small radiusses and shortest length (if the situation allows it).

nice setup in the end...
mine evolved to almost exactly the same thing.

http://users.skynet.be/donsole/final9.jpg

what has changed is that both rads r now parallel with Y fittings to split up the flow. contrary to all logic this had almost no positive effect on temps, while at the same time a more powerfull pump is needed to be able to prime air through both channels.

edit: doesn't the room in the right bottom corner suggest the usage of a nice pelt psu?

Joe
01-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by unregistered
difficult to conceive of a WCer who is not interested in more flow,

hey theres kids who put loud mufflers on their cars that dont care about performance... I am guessing there is much of the same with PC's ;)

Joe
01-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Also I was looking back and it seems I never meantioned it... But on the "Crucible" test setup I made last year for the WB testing, I noticed the ill effects of putting a small hose on the intake of any pump...

Thats why on that setup I think I used damn near 1" silicone hose into the pump ( dumping from a res that was over head) with 3/8" comign out of the pump. Made flow rates much more robust than would have been with 3/8" in and 3/8" out.

Since87
01-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Ah, I was thinking of situation "A" in the attached drawing and not situation "B"

In "A" the curved tubing is shorter than straight tubing attached to an "el".

In "B" the curved tubing is longer than could be achieved with straight tubing and an "el".

Since87
01-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Forgot the attachment.

g.l.amour
01-25-2003, 03:43 PM
this is prolly a situ where is meant that a drawing (pic) can mean more than a thousand words.

Blackeagle
01-25-2003, 07:18 PM
I enjoyed the article. I learned more about better choices in fittings to use. Also liked that res set up.

Thanks