PDA

View Full Version : daddies got a new toy

Brando457
02-09-2003, 10:30 AM
I just bought the dremel on saturday february 8th, 2003 and must say wow its powerful small and easy to use :)

anyways i did a 120 mm test blowhole on a cheap 60$ casei had lieing around, and also cut out the frame wire on the back of case to help airflow.

I m getting practice for my cube case which will look similiar to the blackice project done by procooling.

enough talk heres hte pictures

http://jk2zone.web1000.com/diddy.htm

winewood
02-09-2003, 04:47 PM
The dremel is a godsend. I personally use a different tool. I have a Spiracut by Bosch (http://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?ID=1025) This has high rpms on it.. and is quite powerful compared to the Dremels I have seen. I place the dremel disc insert into the unit and can cut much faster and cleaner.
Did you ever have your dremel stop or slow down while you cut? You WONT have this problem with this spiracut. The unit practically jumps out of your hand when you turn it on.

golovko
02-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by winewood
The dremel is a godsend. I personally use a different tool. I have a Spiracut by Bosch (http://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?ID=1025) This has high rpms on it.. and is quite powerful compared to the Dremels I have seen. I place the dremel disc insert into the unit and can cut much faster and cleaner.
Did you ever have your dremel stop or slow down while you cut? You WONT have this problem with this spiracut. The unit practically jumps out of your hand when you turn it on.

yeah, but you also have to pay bosch prices for a spiracut which is hard to do as a college student with no job, ill stick with my dremel

edit: i guess that price isnt too high. what type of rotary bits/tools do you use with it?

Brando457
02-09-2003, 06:18 PM
that was my first time ever with a dremel | i guess i m not a virgin anymore lol

i like the dremel, you can buy attachments as the one u showed me for like 10 - 20 dollars and the dremel is better because u can use it for a variety of thigns not just 1 thing

if u have any tips or tricks or any advice please tell me as i will be spending all my money on a new case which is 220 $ cubed case from directron.com shown in the black ice project. I want it to look good

golovko
02-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Brando457
the dremel is better because u can use it for a variety of thigns not just 1 thing

I disagree. Theyre both rotary tools, pretty much whatever you can do with one you can do with the other. Personally, i'd rather have the bosch because bosch tools are of much higher quality than dremel, but since i already have a dremel thats in good working order, an upgrade would be out of the question. I think the dremel also comes with some gimicky stuff - that flex shaft is in my opinion a pos.

Fixittt
02-09-2003, 07:16 PM
I recomend getting some or all of the following

Saftey glasses.
Some good files for clean up work after dremeling.
some small files with rounded faces for conture (SP) work
a roll of industrial sandpaper.
get the good cutting discs. not the heavy duty ones, the diamond inlay I beleive they call them. I could be wrong.
saftey glasses :)
I also recomend getting the pen attachment as it is smaller and there is somewhat less vibration going to your hand (Excessive vibration can cause nerve damage)
Sanding drums with lots of replacment sanding pads.

A dremel is a fun tool, But taking off large amounts of metal can be a pain. Window mods and such. I would also recomend getting a good jig saw and some fine metal cutting blades to do the major work, and use the dremel for the clean up. I today cut a window mod in a case that I have been saying I would mod for over a year. I cut a mask from "The Phantom of the Opera" using the jig saw to cut the big stuff, and the dremel to finish it. Looks great. Dremels are a god send.

Good luck, take it slow. and wear your saftey glasses.

Fix

winewood
02-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Yep.. those sandpaper and diamond discs are awsome. These are usually in the dremel section, but you combine it with a spiracut and metal is NO problem. I cut through a brass 6-7 inch diameter pipe with a 1/4 inch thickness.

I use 2 discs doubled up to cut with. Its number 426 or 420 from this page. http://www.tri-esssciences.com/dremeltools.htm I havent used the ball shaped tools near the top. Maybe I would do better with them? Dunno. But I do know I am getting good with the discs.

Brando457
02-09-2003, 08:08 PM
with the diamond disks can u just drill a hole and go around the outline of the fan hole or window or is it not good idea to do on computer cases that are aluminum ?

winewood
02-09-2003, 09:33 PM
The disks wont drill.. they cut perpendicular to the metal. Aluminum isnt that much different from brass when cutting. Take your time.. go slow. Make a smaller small cut on the pencil sketch, then slowly dig into the groove. With more power.. and a delecate touch, you can make a clean, non-jagged cut.

Nothing wrong with alu case cutting imo

golovko
02-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by winewood
Nothing wrong with alu case cutting imo

yeah, aluminum is much easier to cut through than steel. the main idea with these tools is to take your time, measure twice cut once.

Brando457
02-10-2003, 04:41 AM
heh well last night i decided to clean my cuts up with the sanding accessory now their smooth and nice

bigben2k
02-10-2003, 09:05 AM
I love my Dremel!

I agree with Fixittt, on the accessories: they're all a must. That flex shaft extension is great.

Brando457
02-10-2003, 04:27 PM
i think u should link me to accessories to do case mods such as cutters and stuff :) pls

bigben2k
02-10-2003, 04:41 PM
...or go to Sears!

gogo
02-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Be sure to get the kind that wrap around. I had a tiny bit of steel fly up and under into my eye last summer. I never realized I could be such a baby. I also didn't realize that having someone run fluid through my eye could make my arms and legs flail uncontrolably.:) It took 5 doctors to flush my eye after a little 5'2" nurse and my wife went flying trying to hold me down.

airspirit
02-12-2003, 11:11 AM
That's like me and needles: it takes an entire squad of doctors, nurses, and staff to hold me down for a shot. I fidget uncontrollably when they get those things near me.

When I was 11, I had pneumonia and got badly dehydrated. When they tried to place me on IV, they found that many of my veins were collapsing, and it took them over two hours to properly insert the IV (and I was covered in holes). Ever since, no matter how hard I try to just hold still, I can't: it is some sort of involuntary reaction, kind of like some weird post traumatic stress disorder.

Don't feel bad, we all have our weirdness.

winewood
02-12-2003, 05:14 PM
For a cheaper alternative to the bosch use a rotozip. It has a handle that is cool and allows for more stability. They sell them at homedepot.
Oh and one update. I just cut my case using a dremel drill bit that was in the blue labeled package. Said useful for cutting alu, and vinel (sp?) I broke 2 and wore down a third, but was able to cut a 3X5 hole in under 5 min.
PS.. remove ALL components from case when doing this. 30000 rpm gets steel and ALu ALL OVER! BAH!

Brando457
02-12-2003, 05:28 PM
hehe i know :D but i have a nice huge shop vac which handles its biz easily lol I Dont have a problem cutting the holes just finding a template for a 92mm round fan......

gogo
02-12-2003, 05:33 PM
at some point I think I remember seeing a template posted on this forum. it may have been 120 though.

Brando457
02-13-2003, 06:07 PM
yea was a 120 ":/

Phuzun
04-08-2003, 05:10 AM
I used a dremel to cut some ram sinks for use on my ati 8500. Used thermaltake ram sinks, the kit for ddr, or sdr. either way they can with some fined sinks. I used like 6-8 disks for those thick things. Nearly went blind and had a horrible taste from the dust.

Fun times

FWORKSTECH
04-11-2003, 03:07 PM
dremmel is an incredible little tool. Does anyone use a bi metal hole saw to cut blow holes??????????/

hara
04-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Yeah I do and it is better than a dremel at that. :p

Balinju
04-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by hara
Yeah I do and it is better than a dremel at that. :p

i agree, and another thing, i prefer a jig saw to cut windows in cases than a dremel.

also i have one question, wouldn't a dremel have the same side effect just as cutting with a grinder, i.e. burn the metal??? A jig saw won't do that for sure.