PDA

View Full Version : FUBAR win95 TCP/IP

bigben2k
02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
I FUBAR'ed it. My Win95 machine won't connect to the internet anymore.

I tried reloading the NIC driver, and the TCP/IP protocol. I even tried letting the update use older files from the Win95 CD (for the TCP/IP driver).

The router is working fine: the other PC is on the internet just fine. I tried switching the ports, but still no luck.

All I can think about is that I may have removed the Dial-up adapter upgrade (rev 1.3), so I'm assuming that that may have thrown off something...

Anyone have any idea why it won't work?

cybrsamurai
02-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Wen you run a winipcfg are you getting an error?

Without knowing that its hard to say. I would take a disc for win98 or whatever OS is on the machine and remove all of your network protocalls and adapters so you have an empty network then Add your network adapter then add TCP/IP then configure tcp/ip and you should be good to go. But somtimes it has to be done in that order.

I used to work for an ISP. doing this fixed this problem 90% of the time when it didnt work I usually suspected that it was an ID-10T Error

bigben2k
02-28-2003, 12:09 PM
I was just about to add that...

No, WINIPCFG produced an error.

I also tried pinging the router (from DOS), but it gave me a transmit error (but I don't believe it would have worked in DOS anyways).

I tried to get to the router from IE, but that's a no go either.

I tried setting the IP addressed manually to the value that it should be, instead of letting it get an address that's automatically assigned (after finding out what that address is, from the other PC, through the router config screen). Nothing.

The other machine works just fine.

cybrsamurai
02-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Ok here is a the long version of what i showed you this should correct it...

Run winipcfg and ping local host. If they fail, check for the winsock2 update by looking for a c:\windows\ws2bakup\

After restart of computer search for ws2bakup.bat If it's there
do THIS: You must have removed DUN AND all of communications before doing this.

Open an MS-DOS Prompt.

At the command prompt, type the following commands
cd windows
cd ws2bakup
ws2bakup.bat
exit

NOTE: If you are prompted to abort, retry, or fail the operation, press A. This causes the Ws2bakup.bat to continue restoring up all the necessary files.

NOTE: If you receive sharing violation error messages when you run the ws2bakup.bat file, continue with step 4.

Click Start, click Shut Down, click "Restart in MS-DOS mode," and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type the following commands
cd windows
cd ws2bakup
ws2bakup.bat
exit

NOTE: If you are prompted to abort, retry, or fail the operation, press A. This causes the Ws2bakup.bat to continue restoring up all the necessary files.

If you receive error messages when you run the Ws2bakup.bat file stating that some programs cannot be run outside of Windows 95, disregard them.

Once back into Win95, read communications and reconfigure the network control panel remembering to say NO to any file version conflicts.

Then re-create all necessary network components and try again!

OR

Remove *.PWL files if the member is on a standalone computer
Remove all network components. Click OK.
If prompted to restart the computer. Click NO.
Double click Add/Remove Programs.
look for Dial-Up Networking 1.2 or 1.3 update in the list of applications on the Install/Uninstall tab. If one or the other is present, uninstall it and Restart Windows.
If Win98 or no Dial-Up Networking 1.2 or 1.3 update is shown in the list of applications on the Install/Uninstall tab then click to the Windows Setup tab.
Remove all communications components. Click OK.
Remove the "HKey_Current_User\RemoteAccess" registry key after backing up the registry.
Restart the computer.
After restart of computer search for ws2bakup.bat If it's there refer to above :) Winsock2 removal
Reinstall DUN and other communications components but DO NOT install MS Virtual Private Networking.
If you removed winsock2 or a DUN upgrade say NO to all version conflicts. If neither of these were present say YES to version conflicts.
Restart the computer.
Reinstall the necessary network components in the network control panel.

Hope this helps a bit

cybrsamurai
02-28-2003, 12:11 PM
With a winipcfg error it means you have a corrupted TCP/IP stack the crap above should fix it.

bigben2k
02-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Ok, I'll try that, thanks!

I figured that by removing the DUN 1.3, it would have messed up something, but I did it because it wasn't working...

Start from scratch, ok.

bigben2k
03-01-2003, 09:15 AM
It worked!

Thank you, CyberSamurai!

cybrsamurai
03-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Whooo Hooo $7.00 an hour tech support knowledge comes through again!