PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Holes

Zhentar
05-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Okay, I cut a hole in the back of my case, a blowhole about 100mm by 60 mm. It was very useful in the configuration I had then... but I've got a new configuration now, and I want to patch the whole, and after painting I'd like it if I couldn't see that it was there.

How do I patch it so that its flat with the rest of the panel on both sides?

JSimmons
05-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Do you know how to weld thin guage mild steel?

Cyco-Dude
05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
hmm...i think the easiest way would to just bolt or rivet a piece of sheet metal over the back of the hole. im sure you could make it look nice.

Cova
05-09-2003, 03:50 PM
It'll look nasty from the inside of the case, but glue something stiff over the hole on the inside, then on the outside fill it in with some sort of putty/bondo/something mixture. Then sand smooth, paint, etc.

If you need it to look good inside and out, you better find a good welder.

Zhentar
05-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Thats sort of what I was thinking cova. Well, I'll see what I can do. Looking good from the inside is a higher priority, since its more likely to be seen from there. Unfortuneatly I don't know how thick the steel is on this case :(

Cyco-Dude
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
most cases are made from 1mm thick steel. of course you could try to measure it yourself. or perhaps go to the manufacturers website; im sure they would list the thickness in the spec sheet.

Zhentar
05-09-2003, 11:37 PM
I have absolutely no idea who made this case. It was part of a barebones kit way back like 2 1/2 years ago, when I was young and naive, and didn't know much at all about hardware... My credit card company likes these days MUCH more, I can tell ya :)