PDA

View Full Version : Update from Chicago

pHaestus
06-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Well guys I am travelling until July 06 mostly for work. I wanted to let you know the status on my many various projects that I have going on right now.

1) Waterblock testing - I received a die simulator identical to the one that overclockers.com uses to test Athlon heatsinks and wbs. It will require a bit of work to make me happy as a test platform, but it's certainly a big step forwared. The simulator was provided free of charge to me by Andrew at www.millennium-thermal.com. Andrew also has been very helpful to me in sorting out some plans for my ongoing CPU testing. Robotech from the forums also sent me 2 36VDC cartridge heaters (150W), and hopefully I can get a decent hole for them drilled into my die simulator and then pick up the PSU and DMMs needed to measure current and voltage accurately asap. Todd (OnDaEdg) is also making a die simulator from the ground up; it may be that I eventually switch over to his design. Anyway the waterblock testing will all be done on this die simulator as soon as I can get it running. That's the missing piece to my testbed btw; all systems should shortly be go :)

2) CPU power and temperature experiments - Ok so I fried my XP with wires soldered to the pins in a weird electronics incident I still don't fully understand. I'll be sorting out what was going on with that Little Giant pump and then repeating the calibration again with a 1700+ TBredB. The TBredB actually is a much nicer choice for testing anyway as it is unlocked up to 12.5x so I can generate some curves as a function of MHz by changing both the multiplier and the fsb. The gameplan with that setup is to install the current reading setup that Groth and Since87 are coming up with and then measure current and voltage and diode temperatures. I will also be measuring water in and out temps and the wb baseplate temp using a block that I got from Bill Adams (liquidCC surge). It is my thought that by comparing the delta T and T/W of the wb on my system with his known power tests that I can get a reasonable idea of what the secondary heat losses are for that waterblock. From there then hopefully something a bit more useful than radiate can be written.

3 and 4) Two other articles I don't want to give too much away on are in the works as well. In fact one of them is about 50% done from my long airplane ride to Chicago.

bigben2k
06-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Good!

Are you going to get back to the "Electronic project of the month"?

pHaestus
06-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Yes that's related to one of my other projects. Not sure that there is yet a design I really like; may have to ponder that a bit more.