PDA

View Full Version : progress??

pHaestus
07-16-2003, 02:49 PM
After my trip to Chicago and Madison, I then dealt with visiting relatives. That's all taken care of as of yesterday though, so I should hopefully have time to deal with Pro/jects :)

I received some cartridge heaters from Robotech (thanks!) and a die simulator from millennium-thermal (thanks!) and so I now need to drill a hole into the die sim and then insulate it. I will undoubtedly be asking for advice on this topic. I have never even drilled into copper before; how big of a PITA is it going to be to drill a long, straight hole into copper using just a hand drill? Maybe it is the perfect time to get a drill press...

My TBredB I bought to go onto the test bench has gone through a long and circuitous path. It is STILL en route. I was thinking that I might get a more consistent mating between the CPU and the pins on the socket if I filled them with dielectric grease. Does this make sense? I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as I never pull the CPU out of the socket when testing.

I also have been making some slight progress on a couple of other projects. Tonight I am going to probably rip into the AMS GTower to see if it will be suitable for something I am writing up currently...

Neo2Neo
07-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Sorry this is a bit off the topis at hand but I was wondering where can you buy the fangrill that is featured on your avatar?

I think you should invest in a drill press, they always come in handy if your looking for accuracy, and copper is a nice material to work with.

pHaestus
07-16-2003, 05:41 PM
I had a few made when I had the windows on my Lian Li PC-50 custom cut. I sold and traded them all away though. I have been thinking about having another batch made for Pro/gear purposes; perhaps I should look around for somewhere that can do them at a reasonable price...

Neo2Neo
07-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Ya i think i looks like the symbol on fridges/freezers or a snowflake. Did you get them all made in the same design?
If your thinking about gettin a few more made you can sign me up 4 a few of them!!!
They would look nice in a frosted perspex with a blue/white led fan behind!

Boli
07-16-2003, 09:52 PM
I hope you are goiing to have some sort of holes in there for the air to flow... unless you just want the grill for "show".

Neo2Neo
07-16-2003, 10:01 PM
On a water cooled rig?

theres plenty of air flow on them grills, if you don't like them you wont be gettin them! But if u do like them theres nothing like moddin' them urself....

jaydee
07-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by pHaestus
I had a few made when I had the windows on my Lian Li PC-50 custom cut. I sold and traded them all away though. I have been thinking about having another batch made for Pro/gear purposes; perhaps I should look around for somewhere that can do them at a reasonable price...
Were they laser cut? I make stuff like that all the time at work on the laser.

ItsSoLARGE
07-19-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty sure he got them done through a waterjet..

jaydee
07-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ItsSoLARGE
I'm pretty sure he got them done through a waterjet..
Could be, I didn't think they were metal but if they are my laser will not cut through it. I made a lot of fan grills out of plastic though.

pHaestus
07-19-2003, 06:33 PM
yea they were anodized aluminum done with a waterjet. acrylic or lexan or whatever would be probably easier to make and cooler looking as well though. You really want to do a batch jaydee? We have been kicking around the idea of selling these to help pay for the site for a while...

jaydee
07-19-2003, 06:46 PM
yea they were anodized aluminum done with a waterjet. acrylic or lexan or whatever would be probably easier to make and cooler looking as well though. You really want to do a batch jaydee? We have been kicking around the idea of selling these to help pay for the site for a while...
Do you have some kind of .dxf or acad file of the design? I got dozens of colors of plastics I have in stock and can get. We got brushed aluminum, brushed gold, brushed satin brass, all the normal colors. I can do them in acrylic aswell. I can even engrave www.procooling.com on them. :) If you have the cad file I can make some samples and give an estimate on cost.

Zhentar
07-21-2003, 04:45 PM
procooling.con eh? perhaps a freudian slip? :)

jaydee
07-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Zhentar
procooling.con eh? perhaps a freudian slip? :)
Opps, they shouldn't put the m and the n next to each other on the keyboard! :D

pHaestus
07-22-2003, 10:53 AM
1700+ TBredB arrived today. It's a DUT3C JIUHB 0313, not one of those weak TbredA's like Joe got. I will test out this chip vs. my current TBredB today and keep the best overclocker in my gaming box and use the poorer one for testing :) If I get the chance I will replumb my gaming rig again with a smaller pump and different blocks so I can get some peace and quiet downstairs too. That will probably come later in the week though as I have a few things to do tonight.

This evening I am going to resolder my diode reader onto my test motherboard, and then I will be mounting a waterblock so I can pump different temp water through it and calibrate the diode like that. Not exactly sure how suitable the silicone hose is for high (more than 45C) temps; I may call it a day somewhere around that temp and then go down to ice water temps to try and get a decent temperature range. Hopefully by this weekend it'll be set up and ready for action.

Les
07-22-2003, 11:40 AM

This evening I am going to resolder my diode reader onto my test motherboard, and then I will be mounting a waterblock so I can pump different temp water through it and calibrate the diode like that.

Suspect this is more a "secondary heat loss" investigation after a fully immersed calibration?

ItsSoLARGE
07-27-2003, 11:27 PM
jaydee... some blue arcrylic grills woulds be nice

jaydee
07-27-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by ItsSoLARGE
jaydee... some blue arcrylic grills woulds be nice
I will check on blue tinted acrylic. Here is a plastic brushed alumium colored one I did up on Friday. It is still in protoype stage though as I am drawing this from scratch. I need to tweak the 4 mounting tabs a bit. I also got it setup for 120mm, 80mm, 60mm, and 40mm. Whenever I get a 92mm fan I will make a drawing for that to.

http://www.customcooledpc.com/fangrill/001.jpg

and the drawings

http://www.customcooledpc.com/grills.jpg

bigben2k
07-28-2003, 08:52 AM
You know, I think I'm going to need three 80mm of those, for my PSU array. ;) It would be a nice touch.

pHaestus
07-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Those are looking sweet Jaydee. I will see if I can't catch up to Joe in IRC this evening and find out what's going on with Pro/Gear.

jaydee
07-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Those are looking sweet Jaydee. I will see if I can't catch up to Joe in IRC this evening and find out what's going on with Pro/Gear.
Here is the final version.
http://www.customcooledpc.com/fangrill/003.jpg

I noticed they sat way to close to the fan blade and if you put them on the intake site a high CFM fan might want to try and suck it in and make it rub so I cut some acrylic washers/spacers to compensate. I will send a set with each grill.

http://www.customcooledpc.com/fangrill/005.jpg

If Joe wants some let me know, if not I might just buy a bunch myself and sell them. I can send a sample to whomever is in charge of the Pro/Gear for approval.

bigben2k
07-30-2003, 09:52 PM
I'll take three. Seriously. 80 mm.

zoson
08-04-2003, 03:39 PM
I'll take one 120mm too! Represent!!!
-Zoson

Yo-DUH_87
08-05-2003, 01:22 AM
How much would you be offering them for? I may be interested in a 120mm if the price is right ;)

Looks very nice :D

trit187
08-05-2003, 03:28 AM
I don't think I'm out of line when I say "dead sexy"
I think if you could sell them for a decent price and make a little $$ for the site that'd be a great idea. I think quite a few people would buy them