PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a modest Peltier Setup

phreenet
02-25-2001, 10:34 AM
My system: Dual P3 933's on a VP6 mobo

Plan: To install a watercooling system so I can bump the speed up from 1051 (air cooled) to around 1200 (but I will settle for 1120+). I am installing two dangerden blocks, hayden 4x4 radiator, magdrive 250 pump. Now if the watercooling doesnt cool at least around 85F under load at the max mhz I can get I will use a Peltier. But I only want temps around 85F max, Im not looking for ultra low temps that freeze water, etc. If that was my plan I would build a phase change freon system and go to town! So will say two 55watt peltiers work ok for that knida of setup?. Also know that when I run linux or Win2K they take advantage of SMP so the load is always being shared therefore temps are always low because I rarley use 100% system potenital only like in Quake3 or compiling a shit load of programs for Linux :-P

Kevin
02-25-2001, 12:25 PM
Well, 55w peltiers are borderline. At 1200 mhz, your copper mine is putting out about 45w of heat It just might override the peltiers. Go w/ some peltier around the range of 70w.
Getting off the topic of peltiers, I'd get the new black radiator over at OCWC or a bigger Hayden radiator. The 4x4 Hayden radiator will probably be able to handle the two P3s okay, but adding peltiers would probably not be good for it.

SYX
02-25-2001, 02:33 PM
You need atleast 80wat, ATLEAST for over gig. And that 4x4 radiator will suffer, it cant get rid of so much heat. With intels I don't think you'll make over 1100, maybe another 40-60 mhz...

phreenet
02-25-2001, 02:49 PM
I know I can make it, im at 1051 now with just air cooling

Kevin
02-25-2001, 04:03 PM
So get the new black radiator at OCWC and see how high you can go w/ standard H2O. If you don't get as high as you'd like, then slap some pelts on.

SYX
02-25-2001, 04:10 PM
so air cooling isnt much different than water cooling in intel performance, more stable ya but overall nah

phreenet
02-25-2001, 04:16 PM
no no no, you are getting it all wrong, the only reason my processors stay cooler than others is because 1) they are low voltage (1.83v for 1051) 2) there are two of them, so for most loads it is spread over two processors (SMP)(Symetrical Multiprocessing). So for just normal computer useage (Internet Explorer, Pine, whatever) the load is shared and the processors stay cool. My max temp playing Quake3 or Homeworld is only 98F on each processor while OCed from 933 to 1051 using Alpha PEP66s with 60x60x10mm Deltas

phreenet
02-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Kevin:
"So get the new black radiator at OCWC and see how high you can go w/ standard H2O. If you don't get as high as you'd like, then slap some pelts on."

I AM BROKE :-P
I will barly be able to get the peltiers if I need them. And from what Joe posted on the Mini upgrade I just don't see the need for only a couple of degrees cooler for that much money. And if I do get a new radiator I think I am going to stick with the Haydens, this time I will get the 676 (5.5x11 aprox. (WxL)) and two Panaflow 120mm U1As

SYX
02-25-2001, 06:59 PM
Seriously a cooling cuber from danger den for $55 will do much better than black ice, it's like 2 black ices in 1 and that should handle ur 2 pelts easy.

phreenet
02-25-2001, 07:10 PM
The DangerDen is a good radiator, but it uses CU tubes that have thin fins attached through out. This design (my opinion) doesnt have the same good high heat transfer as a radiator that thins out the water into plates or chambers for better cool. I believe that this is the lamemans theory behind it: You can cool water better when the surface area to water volume ratio is higher for surface area because in the tubes the heat can hide in the center of the tube whereas the flat plate radiator forces the center outwards. ????? Does that sound right? Can I get someone who has a degree in Thermal Fluid Dynamics to correct me :-P

Kevin
02-25-2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by phreenet:

And from what Joe posted on the Mini upgrade I just don't see the need for only a couple of degrees cooler for that much money.
Joe was peltier cooling ONE P3. You will be peltier cooling TWO of them... the BlackIce will make a much larger difference here.