View Full Version : Nvidia uses obscure firm for future 90 nano designs

bigben2k
07-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Nvidia uses obscure firm for future 90 nano designs

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10626

and:
NVIDIA adopts Artisan memory products for IC design
Posted : 25 Jul 2003
NVIDIA Corp., a provider of graphics processors and media and communications devices, has selected Artisan Components Inc.'s design platform and memory products for its 130- and 90-nanometer designs.
According to NVIDIA, Artisan's support of many major manufacturers has enabled them to select Artisan's library platform across a range of process technologies and foundries. NVIDIA has been using Artisan's IP products since 1998, including Artisan's expertise in developing library products.
http://www.eetasia.com/article_content.php3?article_id=8800313116
(you must be registered)

Brians256
07-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Boy, I hope this isn't the endgame for nVidia. Manufacturing companies that keep going with high-risk methods usually end up getting eaten when the odds catch up with them. 0.13um with TSMC failed, and they really don't need another high-profile failure.

On the other hand, their execution has typically been very good. They have some very smart engineers... Although I hope their application optimization engineers (or, more likely, their pointy haired managers) learn some honesty.

bigben2k
07-26-2003, 01:19 AM
I don't think it's as bad as "The Inquirer" makes it out to be.

Brians256
07-27-2003, 10:22 AM
No, it's probably not. They've used these guys before, so that helps. But, they are still rushing to incorporate several untested technologies in each generation, and that's always difficult. I think the only reason that Intel succeeds is that they have an immense testing effort to validate any new mfg process and to try out new circuit designs. That's the real reason that Intel CPUs are expensive.

If ATI can force nVidia to reduce margins while goading them into constant risk taking.... That's a dangerous scenario.