PDA

View Full Version : 3DMark03 Performance Factors (Ace's Hardware)

bigben2k
07-31-2003, 09:02 AM
Caught this news bit at [NH]:
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000242

Opinions?

TerraMex
07-31-2003, 09:51 AM
I had a large argument over it in a portuguese forum, some time ago . I dont want to start a anti/pro 3dmark discussion (well, maybe i do :D) , but i'll leave my personal opinion anyway:

(copied and translated): ----------------------------------

I think is somewhat ridiculous to reduce a complex system like a computer to a single number. He who gives too much credit to a benchmark like 3dmark deserves to be fooled, and i know quite a few that change cards like i change underware , just to get a few extra 3dmarks. Just. Not even more fps, not more stable fps. But better scores. One thing doesnt necessarely mean the other.

Then , there's the discussions about who has the highest score, which comes down to a meaningless "dick size" argument. Running a program like 3dmark (or some others) generaly induces people in error , with or without any help from ATi or nVidia. And then there's all that argument about the drivers, optimizations and so called cheating.

The reality is that they are sintetic tests. Laboratory tools. They serve mainly to test very specific things in a given hardware. Not in general. They do not give a clear ideia of the overall performance of that hardware in a real situation (like online gaming), and definitly dont take in account new situations that can appear.

What really counts is to see if the graphic card X does what its supposed to do with the drivers Y in a gaming situation. Games, as far as i'm concerned , are the best benchmarks. Play a few hours, record a few demos, make some charts about those fps at different settings, high lows and average. Highs dont count much if it drops to 10 now and then . You'll have a pretty good ideia of what it can do. In 3dMark you can't change your POV, go left instead of right. You're stuck to what they want to show. That doesnt happen in a real gaming situation.

Anyway, i call these types of programs, Weapons of Mass Distraction. They distract the regular joe (no offence Joe) to those nifty big numbers, and make him think they actually mean alot. And a large number of buyers go with those numbers. Brrr. They deserve to be fooled.

I have much more interest in seeing tests with Quake's , UT, JK and so forth . But even those are relative. You can say the card does better here, and there, but never in absolute numbers, because there are too many different systems. Too many variables. But gives a much better idea that "one number", spit out from a performance evaluation of a really unknown algorithm and which weights he uses.

However, none of this will ensure that if you buy card A or B , any will work better than the other on a weird program that you might want / need . And even with a top card, driver optimizations, and all that , wont save us from crap programming. Just take Urban Terror. Heck, take Ut2k3. Having a 2.4c at 3.1 with a 9700pro and a gig of memory and the darn thing still drops to 50 fps or so in alot of places .

There was also a big fuss about the optimizations for some algoritms from both manufacturers. Personally, as long there isnt any corruption of frames, spontaneos crashes or loss of quality, i'm all for it. Let them put even more optm. Having drivers know that program XPTO runs better with a given configuration is cleary a plus. It's better than having non optimized drivers, for everything, any day of the week. So i dont get the what Futuremark said about "Raw Power" .

I know if i play something q3 engine based im using a ton of optm. , and if they are responsable for better fps , so be it. It's normal having optimizations for widespread engines from ID, as they are very used, and well, they are proper engines :). (Not like those Epic engines. It can drop to horrible fps, but nobody know why, including Epic. Bad karma... bad bad karma. Now stabilize.)

Things are not that linear, neither are the conditions of the comparisons. You have to pay attention to them, and give it's proper weight. And in this case... low weight :D.

(copied and translated): ----------------------------------

The pII 350 situation just shows the relativity of those tests, assuming those values.

I found it interesting that the 3dmark kiddies in the forums i read just excused the tests by calling the results fakes. Ok, so there has been alot of fake scores in Orb, but i dont think this is one of them.

Cleary it can be seen the results in gaming benchmarks, which are not as "biased". The PII gets the expected results.

Nuson
07-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Ok, so 3dmark scores are primarily determined by your video card. I think we already knew that. 3dmark isn't fooling people into buying crappy systems and then throwing in a radeon 9700 pro so that they can play games.

I don't think this article is very relavant anyways, because the only proc that they used that's being sold in oem systems these days is the p4. I did, however, enjoy seeing the pii beat it in certain 3dmark games.

The problem with 3dmark is that people have placed alot of reliance on just one number which leads to cheating and soforth. If people took it for what it is -- a synthetic benchmark-- there would be no problems with giving 3dmark scores as a way of comparison.

pHaestus
07-31-2003, 12:18 PM
It would have been more interesting to point out that the P2 350/9700 3DMark03 overall score is approximately 3 times larger than say a 2400MHz CPU and a GF3/GF4 ti4200. My current gaming box gets 1250 in 3dmark03 (1700+@2400, GF3 overclocked greatly), but it runs every game out there at a nice speed.

TerraMex
07-31-2003, 12:44 PM
@Nuson

> 3dmark isn't fooling people into buying crappy systems and then
> throwing in a radeon 9700 pro so that they can play games.

No, but it is fooling people into spending alot more money for that "extra 3dmark score", which doesnt mean all that better system.

Besides, there's enough dishonest stores to go around. Selling fully assembled computers with a 1700+ at 2400+ and paying for the latter. Selling 9700NP with the bios update to 9700pro (and this last is much more expensive), etc. The works.

> If people took it for what it is -- a synthetic benchmark-- there
> would be no problems with giving 3dmark scores as a way of
> comparison.

Naturally. But a considerable number take it as the old "From God to FutureMark to You". Bigger number is better. Must get bigger number. Must buy hardware. Must buy Prometeia / Kryo.

I've seen it, top brand machines doing nothing but 3dmark . "Dont have time to play, must tweak and try again". That and discussions about AMD vs INTEL solely based on 3Dmark scores. It was almost pathetic.

@pHaestus

> My current gaming box gets 1250 in 3dmark03 (1700+@2400,
> GF3 overclocked greatly), but it runs every game out there at a
> nice speed.

Exactly. The number doesnt do justice to the machine, and what i can actually do.

babyeater
08-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Had a heavily overclocked GF3 until last week when i blew it up and it handled all the newest games well. I had no plans to upgrade it for a while. Unless Half-Life 2 killed it. Never even bothered downloading 3DMark 2003