PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR problem...please advise

Cablepro
03-10-2001, 10:32 AM
I will describe the events as best as possible to provide as much info as possible:
I am using an abit kt7a-raid board, with a 1.2gig t-bird...also am watercooling with a 156w peltier...

I got everything set up, sealed the chip and board every step of the way...even the cold plate is sealed to the processor, so there's no air getting in anywhere...

I turned the computer on, and I got a series of long beeps...i then remembered that the WW bios required a fan plugged into cpufan header#1...the only fan I own that could do the trick was an 80mm case fan with 3 wires, but the plug itself was in bad condition...I plugged it in, and still got the beeps...I tried plugging it in only half way(thinking it was a loose connection), and still got the beeps...so then i very carefully took a 15W soldering iron, and applied a bit of solder to the yellow wire, and then heated it up while it was touching the third prong on the cpufan header...and plugged the power and ground wires to the power supply...

ok, I powered up, and no beeps...the bios came up , I selected my processor speed as 9X133, restarted, and then hit ctrl-H, and setup my raid array...

then I restarted with windows 98 startup disk in, and i ran fdisk to partition my drives, then formatted my drives....then I installed windows98, but after installation, it went to restart, and it just never came back....I can hit the power button all day, and it wont post...

when I turn the power button on, the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives light up and spin, the 2 hard drives spin up, the motherboard fan spins, and cpu temperature increases(I have a thermistor up against the core)...but no post...

as a test, I removed the fan's yellow monitor wire from the cpufan header#1, to see if I would get those long beeps again....NOTHING....so basically, it is not even GETTING to the point where it reads from the bios, i'm guessing...

did I kill my motherboard? and at what point might this have happened? all was working well through windows installation...

Joe
03-10-2001, 12:30 PM
I am thinking its time to re-seat the ATX power connector just to check that.

pull everything out of the mobo including video and ram, just leave the cpu. if you get error beeps atleast you know there is some life there.

other then that, yank the CPU out and start over http://www.procooling.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

ItsSoLARGE
03-10-2001, 10:28 PM
reset el bios

Cablepro
03-11-2001, 03:27 AM
i ended up cutting away all the silicone and foam...i pulled the cpu out, and the cold plate, peltier, and cpu had green crap all over(aside from the white thermal grease)...and stunk to holy hell...sorta like humidity in a way...i thought I had insulated everything very carefully...now I just killed my processer(tried it in my other system...no post)

also damaged my motherboard while pulling off the silicone, so now I need a new board and cpu to get back again...but I don't think i'll have the guts to peltier cool again...I might just stay with watercooling...maybe i'll setup a chiller to cool the water instead of the chip since I already have this 15V 35A power supply sitting here doing nothing....

do you guys think that would be a safer bet?...do you think that could perform well?...maybe a setup like chips chiller blocks?

Freakyfrank
03-11-2001, 06:12 AM
damn... thats ****ed up!

well, if u start over again.. u will be at least 10 times more carefull.
closed cell foam and a lot of silicone..

these are the stories we need to keep sharp.

Joe
03-11-2001, 09:25 AM
Oh man that sucks!!

Any pics?

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com

ck42
03-11-2001, 10:48 AM
Cablepro:

Very sorry to hear about that!! I'd be SICK if that happened to me!

Any idea of what may have happened so I can avoid it when I hopefully ever get my rig going??

Joe
03-11-2001, 11:48 AM
thats why I was hoping for pic's so I could see what he did wrong.

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com

ondaedg
03-12-2001, 03:52 AM
cablepro, you did not initially damage your chip or motherboard when you tried to pelt it. Currently, ABIT is having problems with the KT7A and the 1.1 gig and higher chips. I was one of those who went through the same thing you did. All I would get was just spinning fans and drives, but no posts. Here is a link to a website where hundreds of others with the same components have shared in the same pain as you and I:
http://www.apushardware.com/vb/index.php?s=2929b478123be19284feb1c19e628abd

So, there was probably nothing wrong with your cpu/board before you tore the foam off and killed the mb. Also, I can not boot my 1.2 gig TBird by setting it to 1200 in the bios. I have to set it manually. Lucky for me it is now running at 155fsb x 10 (1550 mhz) =]

------------------
ondaedg@procooling.com