PDA

View Full Version : How to Setup A Server?

t-dogisdabomb
03-14-2001, 08:28 PM
i put this in the gaming secion but i didnt think anybody would see it so i put it here.i'm hosting my own lan at my house in a month or so, i know games but not servers, how would i go about to setup a server that would be playable for Q3A, Q2, CS, UT. i know about hubs and switches and that ish but how do i accutlly configure the servers. How do i configure my cable modem while im lan'ing away havin fun, my service provider (Cox@HOME ) they use DHCP and a special computer name for my computer. Can i setup servers on my computer without changing those settings so i can use internet at the same time?

Kevin
03-14-2001, 10:20 PM
I have @Home and a home network... not sure if that is similar or not, but I basically gave my computer an IP address and put all the other computers on the same network. They all detected eachother in Network Neighborhood. What do you mean specifically?

Alives
03-14-2001, 10:55 PM
get a program called proxy+ for the proxy server (internet sharing)...its great...might wanna search that astalavista thingy too...if you know what i mean.

t-dogisdabomb
04-04-2001, 07:13 PM
i mean so i can set up my network under 192.xxx.xxx.xxx but still use internet at the same time. would i be able just to plug in the modem to the hub but configure my network like a home one ( 192.xxx.xxx.xxx )?
could i just give the other nodes differnet computer names but still use internet any anyone including mine>?

resago
04-05-2001, 01:08 PM
w2k has it built in. It will do exactly what you want it to do. (unless you need some crazy port mapping)

I can also recomend winroute. thats what I use. w2k makes you use the 192.168 adresses. with winroute, you can use whatever address scheme you want.

melvyn
04-05-2001, 04:44 PM
You could drop a second LAN card into your PC; set one up to talk to the cable modem, the other to talk to your LAN. Getting two LAN cards to co-exist can be a pain in the ass though.

Have you bought your hub yet? If not, look around some on-line vendors for a router, such as the Netgear RT314 (router with 4 port 10/100 switch), otherwise a Netgear RT311 will work. These go between your LAN and the Cox service, so all your PCs can use whatever IP addresses and hostnames you please, yet can still access the internet.

Be aware that Cox does not support home networking with a router, as they'd rather sell you 'x' static IP addresses for your PCs at $7-95 per month. For my setup (6 PCs), what I spent on the router has already been paid back in IP address savings.

t-dogisdabomb
04-05-2001, 04:52 PM
thanks alot melvyn