PDA

View Full Version : blower fans.

Tens0r
09-28-2003, 01:04 AM
well for a certain prototype im working on atm , i require air to be pushed 360 degrees from the centre of the fan .

my question is whether a blower style fan would be able to do this and if the flow will be beneficial enough.

all the blowers i have seen have a plastic guard to direct air in one direction and what im trying to achieve doesnt want that.
if i remove the guard so the blower is spinning in free air will it produce this effect i want?

or any way i could make some aerofoils to produce this effect on a blower style fan (heres something for you aerodynamics brainboxes :p )

thx

bigben2k
09-28-2003, 01:29 AM
360 degrees, eh?

You can catch the air outlet, and redirect it any way you want. You'll take a hit on the pressure, but with a blower, that's negligeable.

You can use a ~2" diameter hose (a common car part) to redirect airflow (or whatever matches the size of the blower you're thinking of, I'm thinking about a 4" blower wheel!).

A smaller blower would be trickier, because they're not as efficient in small diameters. You'd have to give us more details.

Tens0r
09-28-2003, 03:04 AM
what im meant to say is that air moves in all directions from the blower because the air isnt being directed anywhere by a housing, i was wondering if this effect was possible as someone told me blowers wont work without a housing.

m00j
09-28-2003, 06:56 AM
looking at the papst site, they sell blowers without housings. Im sure if you emailed them they could tell you if they worked without housing

linky (http://www.papst.de/english/products_luefter_dcradial.html)

TallTxnMo
10-27-2003, 07:04 AM
I think what he's thinking about is an Orb style fan. Kinda like a centrifigal fan without the housing.

Boli
10-27-2003, 07:10 AM
Sweet they sell 172mm fans on that page!

Didn't think they made computer fans that big due to voltage concerns *plots next case mod*

~ Boli